DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Not really commenting on the quality of the shows, but it’s really hard to argue that MLW hasn’t become a pretty irrelevant promotion over the last year or so, and they seem to be in shambles for an operational perspective. They had run 4 shows in the 6 months prior to last night. TV situation is a mess. They struggle to keep anybody worthwhile who isn’t Fatu or Hammerstone (who clearly don’t have any other options, for whatever reason).

At this point, in terms of relevance, I’d say MLW has fallen well below GCW, which is still relegated to the catch-all independent thread.

I guess I’m just noting that this thread has become an interesting relic of a time gone by.

• Like 2

MLW sold out 2300 Arena a couple nights ago for a TV taping, and are doing a follow-up SuperFight show in the same building next month with the Jacob Fatu vs. Hammerstone rematch and John Morrison vs. Davey Richards in a 2 out of 3 Falls Match.

So the next 3+months worth of Fusion episodes will all be from the October/January/February Philadelphia tapings. Maybe they can scrape by with a reduced roster and tapings every 2-3 months from here on in?

No one I talked to thinks GCW is making any money, and the general feeling is they run so many shows to support the giant contract Nick Gage was given to stop him from starting his own promotion last year. It's IWA Mid-South with a slightly better reputation.

I went to a MLW taping because I was particularly dying to see a show at the 2300 Arena and like romantic day trips to South Philly, not because it was an MLW. It was a good show and I've been waiting for their TV to catch up with what I was present for, but it ain't the brand that sold it for me.

When you say "sold out the 2300 Arena" you gotta realize the setup they use for their TV taping does not maximize the arena's space. The CZW, CHIKARA and ROH shows I've been to at that arena all drew bigger houses.

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

When you say "sold out the 2300 Arena" you gotta realize the setup they use for their TV taping does not maximize the arena's space. The CZW, CHIKARA and ROH shows I've been to at that arena all drew bigger houses.

I think it's capped around 800 seated now with additional space for Standing Room Only

They got rid of the ECW bleachers around 2006 and that lowered capacity significantly

Here's a photo from the first Battleground Championship Wrestling show in 2021 (reported as a sellout with 900):

vdUz5yQ.jpg

MLW's television schedule is indeed abysmal, but they are still managing to put on cards featuring guys from Dragon Gate and The Crash in addition to their own workers.  I wouldn't say that they are an irrelevant promotion, but they have really fallen off and could do a lot more to improve their presence and production quality.

I honestly don't think they should pursue any sort of television deal right now.   Focus on optimizing their profile on streaming outlets like IndependantWrestling.tv, YouTube, or FITE and then maybe get a slot on a cable channel. 

If anyone needs a proper television identity of its own right now, it's Khan's RoH.

That's something I never thought about. Khan could always go to FITE or IWTV with ROH instead of Youtube, at least it would be better monetized there. Whoever owns TBS now (Warner?) might have an issue with that though. 

MLW is not only on free Youtube but free television, Court really doesn't care about making money. 

Shun Skywalker and Lince Dorado is the best Dorado match I've seen (I've seen like FIVE Lince Dorado matches) so it's good!  Skywalker is all dynamic and shit.  The British Bulldogs are fucking AWESOME.  DBS Jr and the Nephews of Dynamite are waaaaay fun.  I really dig Mr Thomas.  He is the Big Bill of MLW.  You already know how good Myron Reed and Alex Kane are.  That was some quality professional wrestling.

MLW Fusion 162 w/ FRCC Ad (Revised) ::MLW FUSION:S01E01 (video:PW) (id: 2214) | Pro Wrestling TV

• Like 3

On 1/13/2023 at 11:14 AM, Curt McGirt said:

That's something I never thought about. Khan could always go to FITE or IWTV with ROH instead of Youtube, at least it would be better monetized there.

I totally agree, but people expect RoH to have some kind of major cable television presence because of its old business model and Khan has the cash to make that happen.   Sometimes you do things because you can, not because you should.

• Like 1

This is a great episode.  Ben-K vs Jacob Fatu is some good stuff.  Alec Price looks awesome in his debut.  I had never seen TJ Crawford before, I don't think, but was also impressive.  Gia Scott and Trish Adora needed five more minutes, at least.  They were just starting to beat the hell out of each other.

MLW Fusion 163 - Hammer BC Ad Pre - Mid::MLW FUSION:S01E00 (video:PW) (id: 2224) | Pro Wrestling TV

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For MLW's Reelz debut on Tuesday, they're still hodgepodging together matches from their October/January Philly tapings like they've been doing for recent Fusion episodes, and it's going to be main evented by a Hammerstone vs. EJ Nduka Last Man Standing match from October

Odd choice, but since Nduka is AEW bound they probably want to show him going out on his back

Edited by Dolphman 3000

On 2/5/2023 at 6:59 PM, Dolphman 3000 said:

For MLW's Reelz debut on Tuesday, they're still hodgepodging together matches from their October/January Philly tapings like they've been doing for recent Fusion episodes, and it's going to be main evented by a Hammerstone vs. EJ Nduka Last Man Standing match from October

Odd choice, but since Nduka is AEW bound they probably want to show him going out on his back

Meltz says they're doing Hammerstone/Fatu from this past weekend, FWIW.

MLW debuts tomorrow night at 10 p.m. on REELZ, featuring Alex Hammerstone vs. Jacob Fatu for the MLW title in a TV show that was taped Saturday night in Philadelphia. Entertainment Weekly listed MLW on REELZ on "What to Watch" for this week, which is a great publicity coup. They also got covered in OK Magazine.