DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

On 1/26/2020 at 12:15 PM, Tromatagon said:

That was the most boring no rope barbed wire match I've ever seen.  Fuck.

I blame Jimmy Havoc.  I usually do.

Taurus & Low Rider's ring walk = Million Billion starts and that fucking Triple Threat ruled.  I think I need a Taurus squash match singles run in my life.  The fucking Drago Clutch never fails to amaze me.  Good finish to that match and a good win for PK and Drago.

I am not surprised that Dominic Garinni turned heel.  He seemed a bit out of place as a face.

Oh and the theme music for the Fightland control center is the instrumental track from from Action Bronson's Easy Rider.

HAMMERSTONE VS. T-HAWK-?  FUCK YEAH~!

and jesus fuck, low ki vs. king mo~?  that match looks horrible on paper.  who books this shit~?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

That Mancer-Havoc match was the shits. Jimmy really isn't very good at kicking into a higher gear when he should so everything feels even and that's no way to live. It feels like he's so busy trying to be cute with the hardcore spots that there's no sense of spontaneity. I've seen Mancer in better stuff (against Bestia 666 months ago for example) so I'll also place the blame on Emo Jimmy.

On 1/28/2020 at 3:36 PM, Goodear said:

That Mancer-Havoc match was the shits. Jimmy really isn't very good at kicking into a higher gear when he should so everything feels even and that's no way to live. It feels like he's so busy trying to be cute with the hardcore spots that there's no sense of spontaneity. I've seen Mancer in better stuff (against Bestia 666 months ago for example) so I'll also place the blame on Emo Jimmy.

Mancer had a No DQ Loser Leaves Town match with Sami Callahan a while back that told twice the story with half the hardware.  Jimmy Havoc is just plain bad.

I'll caveat that by saying I think he's a horrible garbage match worker when that's supposed to be his specialty.   He was actually pretty decent in his role as Selina's weasely aide-de-camp in PD.

Edited by J.T.

The Bloodsport match wasn't anywhere near as good as either of the matches they had on the last one, but it was stiff and ended nicely. Samael probably should have thrown a fireball though. 

Hammerstone looks like one big side of beef in the backstage segment. Like deceptively huge. Someone who's forearm is probably the size of your thigh in real life. 

Does the ref of Drago/Reed moonlight in AEW? And JAY-ZUS what is UP with that announcer's hair?! As if the mustache wasn't bad enough, the man looks like his five year old got ahold of the clippers on him.

I don't think I've ever seen someone hold a collar-and-elbow outside of the ring. Marshall has a beautiful moonsault. Filthy Tom's reaction faces at the end are too funny.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Bloodsport match wasn't anywhere near as good as either of the matches they had on the last one, but it was stiff and ended nicely. Samael probably should have thrown a fireball though. 

Yeah.  Gotch and Kwan are the job guys for CONTRA and they sure do lose quietly most of the time.  No fireballs or post match beatdowns.

Does the ref of Drago/Reed moonlight in AEW? And JAY-ZUS what is UP with that announcer's hair?! As if the mustache wasn't bad enough, the man looks like his five year old got ahold of the clippers on him.

That was a huge win for Reed.  I certainly did not expect Reed to go over a worker with the pedigree and notoriety of Drago.  Odd how the ref in the main event seemed to learn from the chicanery in this match and barred Hammerstone and  El Intocable from ringside.   Hindsight is 20/20.  

I don't think I've ever seen someone hold a collar-and-elbow outside of the ring. Marshall has a beautiful moonsault. Filthy Tom's reaction faces at the end are too funny.

I normally hate MJF's stooging, but his ring walk was mildly entertaining.   The collar-and-elbow sequence was pretty crazy and yeah, Marshall has a great belly out out moonsault.  Filthy Tom' sold that match and he continues to be a fantastic heel.

I'm thrilled to death that the Mancer / Havoc saga is finally done although I am not sure I'd put Mancer over Hammerstone in that upcoming feud.  I really think that Hammerstone needs to defend his belt more often, though.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm wondering what this secret Contra Death Squad who jumped Air Wolf looks like. A bunch of ninjas running around tossing smoke bombs and shuriken? Hopefully it's something cooler than the Dark Order. And who is Air Wolf anyway? 

Air Wolf is a flippy indy guy they brought in a while back and he's actually pretty good.  His finisher is going to kill somebody one day, though.

He's got some high profile wins over luchadores like Puma King and even Rey Fenix of the Lucha Brothers and I think he's also got a W over Jordan Oliver.

And yes, his entrance music is the theme to the television show, Airwolf.

Edited by J.T.

I love Injustice calling back to Snoop's "Y'ALL DON'T HAVE LOVE??" but they need a real feud.

Dynasty segment was very enjoyable - I think they'll be just fine should they lose MJF. I've heard chatter about that here, but has anything actually been said specifically about MJF leaving MLW and going AEW exclusive? Seems like he'd be better off doing both if he can, unless they just throw a bunch of money at him.

I have no evidence but I think MJF was the source VOW had when there were initial complaints about how restrictive and shitty paying the MLW contracts were. I think they hinted at it and it was right around the time AEW was starting up that he would've been pissed about not being able to leave MLW. 

Can we stop the shoot style matches in the middle of these shows? I love shoot style, but currently it only really works when the audience is fully invested in attending a show centered on that style, or are a very open minded indie crowd. Otherwise you run into a very confused, and uninterested audience that understands pro wrestling psychology, but not worked shoot style psychology.

I hate to agree with the shootstyle comment but I felt like that with this one. If they had built up a better grudge before using it as a blowoff instead of a throwaway it might've worked better. And also tbh the shootstyle just wasn't all that great, it was more like a strong style match with no ropes with the familiar blow-trading and ending with a bunch of suplexes. That might've worked more in the crowd's favor but it still didn't seem to grab them like it could've.

Edited by Curt McGirt

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm thrilled to death that the Mancer / Havoc saga is finally done although I am not sure I'd put Mancer over Hammerstone in that upcoming feud.  I really think that Hammerstone needs to defend his belt more often, though.

The problem we're gonna have with that is Mancer needs to bleed heavily and often, and Hammerstone's character probably doesn't want to get his hair mussed so either Mancer chases and taunts him, trying to get him in street fights and the like, or it won't work. It would be great to have a barbed wire match where Hammerstone tries his all to NOT take a bump and Mancer forces him and he ends up covered in gore.

I've only seen Mancer in MLW so far so I admit that's a blind spot. If he has some good straight matches here's an open invitation to post em and I'll watch em, or list em and I'll look em up. 

Matter of fact considering he's only been working Havoc, post good stuff that's hardcore without Havoc and I'll watch it too

On 2/1/2020 at 10:26 PM, Curt McGirt said:

That MJF/Marshal Von Erich was the match of the night.  MJF carried VE to a super old school match and sold the claw like it was 1978.  

The DBS Jr match was perfectly okay.  Gotch is so not stiff enough to pull off a shooter gimmick.  

Injustice is probably the best thing in MLW right now.

• Like 1