DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

This week wasn't bad. But next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BU KU DAO,still shocked they haven't made him change his name,vs TJP. So happy that Bu Ku Dao is getting seen world wide. Less than 10 years ago we were seeing him almost every month. Wrestling in front of between 70 to 100 people in a community Little Theater in McComb MS.

Hope  MLW brings back the Bu Ku Dao or DIE! shirt. 

• 3 weeks later...

Gringo Loco wrestles like he's in slow motion. 

Calvin Tankman has kind of a baby face for being such a monster. I mean that in the literal sense. Bet he was adorable as a child. His "backfist" (more like a back lariat) to the back of the head of the Contra jobber is INSANE, a legit rewind moment. Concussion City. 

I didn't get the concept of the chain ropes thing at first, especially when the announcers made it a point to call the ropes steel cords earlier in the card. Then they started taking all kinds of nasty bumps on them. Garrini totally blows a G2S. They changed the ropes for all of five minutes in the ring? Okay. At least there wasn't a crowd to wait on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say this because I like both guys, but Fatu vs. Tankman was just terrible. It really underlined that big guys should just work like big guys, especially when they're up against another big guy. Calvin doing stuff like that sloppy-ass standing SSP is no good. Just beat the shit out of each other! Using the flag at the end was unconvincing too. At the very least they should have had Samael out there to throw a fireball, Daivari with a flag doesn't cut the mustard. 

Anyway I didn't see the rest of the episode yet, anything worth watching?

• 2 weeks later...

All I caught was Alexander Hammerstone vs. Mil Muertes but THAT is what I'm talking about! Two big dudes just busting each other in the mouth, no flips, no bullshit, just the feel of two titans slamming into each other until one drops. They even mixed up the strike exchange. That was lovely. 

• Like 1

That's cool.  I haven't had access to Bien since Fubo dropped TNT and I switched back to Sling.  I do have Vice, so I'll DVR it and hopefully watch it but my IWTV backlog is huge so who knows?   I added the Roku channel so I could get NJPW but I've still never watched it.  Then again that's more on them since I can't get too excited about shows from over a year ago.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

shit, in two months or so it’ll be summer, the hell do they mean “in the spring”? ?

Well, it's not starting in the next week or two.  MLW search returns YouTube videos on my cable guide.

They're supposedly using old footage to do profile episodes at first, or something along those lines, before taping new content for Vice. 

I kind of think that's a bad move.  I'd say just wait for new stuff to be shot and start fresh.  Put your best foot forward, not reruns.

• Like 1

Good for MLW on the Vice tv deal. I heard Vice wanted NJPW after the AXiS deal happened. Vice getting great response from the Dark side of the Ring series have them wanting to have fresh wrestling content, it's good MLW got to benefit from that. I havent been watching so closely since the pandemic but I think Court is a great booker and a very nice group of talent

On 4/21/2021 at 9:42 PM, Peck said:

Alicia Atout used the phrase "That's a Hammerdick" multiple times. I laughed. MLW wins the week.

Richard Holliday is a national treasure.

I have been wondering too if this is shoot commercial or an angle that made Emmalina seemed rushed.   It seems like he is a legit lawyer from Beckley WV.  But it doesn't mean he wants to get involved in wrestling 

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I have been wondering too if this is shoot commercial or an angle that made Emmalina seemed rushed.   It seems like he is a legit lawyer from Beckley WV.  But it doesn't mean he wants to get involved in wrestling 

I was totally being tongue-in-cheek with my post. 

He is definitely a legit lawyer in southern West Virginia who I just think happens to be a longtime pro wrestling fan as well. In doing some more research, it turns out he represented Jim Cornette a few years ago when Cornette went after G-Raver for his "Fuck Jim Cornette" shirt he was peddling and also sponsored Cornette's podcast.

Myron Reed / Lio Rush II is tonight!

Also, Laredo Kid / Gringo Loco, Richard Holliday and Tom Lawlor are on the card.

Supposedly, El Jefe will finally reveal himself.

The high notes:

Spoiler

Myron Reed defeated Lio Rush to regain the Middleweight title.  Match was pretty awesome and had a shit ton of ring psychology.

El Jefe was unsurprisingly revealed to be Dario Cueto in a pretty spectacular vignette.  All will be revealed on July 10th when MLW's new season starts on Vice.

• Like 2