DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Tankman squash wasn't as good as last week. 

Wasn't someone in another thread saying they wanted Violence Is Forever in MLW? Well your wish is granted. Another squash and Garrini isn't wearing the gi. He still isn't very intimidating but I think this one could have been better as well. My does Ku have A LOT of tattoos. 

Low Ki/Holliday was really snug and stiff, nice work from both guys, very back and forth. I'm sure this is coming down to 

Spoiler

Ki/Lawlor for the finals. 

Hey guess who's been working out during Covid? Simon Gotch! And he's got some sweet Junji Ito art tights too. He also got rid of the hipster mustache and just looks like a mean, miserable bastard. Match is one long heat segment on Ross Von Erich until he finally tags in Marshall, then things immediately break down with Marshall Claw-slamming Gotch through a ring board and then Team Filthy and Oliver Jordan run in for a brawl. Fun while it lasted. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Simon Gotch! And he's got some sweet Junji Ito art tights too. 

Yeah, Gotch is quite the horror otaku.

The art work on his tights seems to be inspired by Ito and Gotch's entrance mask resembles the visage of Ryuk, the iconic Shinigami from the manga / anime, Death Note.

adrian-art-ryuk-1.jpg?1493406496

I dig his ring attire. It gives him much needed personality, but it's not translating into win streaks.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Joseph Samael continues to cut great promos about new additions to CONTA so that I continue to give a shit about MLW.

We have the Pluto TV app on Xfinity, so now I have to experiment with this shit so that I can watch MLW on Wednesday nights while I am DVRing AEW.

• 3 weeks later...

Laredo Kid/Zenshi is really good. Lots of nifty evasion from both guys and cool, weird offense from Zenshi. He can really eat a Michinoku Driver, too. The final Spanish Fly is like a Belly to Belly where the other guy lands with his full body weight on you. 

Hijo de LA Park: "Word, we wish you and the hairless Thai boys luck tonight" ? The tag match slopped it up pretty bad at points, just didn't click. At least Garrini doesn't look like a fat kid doing Tai Kwon Do at the local strip mall anymore. 

I expect a lot more from a strap match with Savio Vega and the finish was just pure shit. 

Now the only thing I missed was skipping the Filthy Tom promo so what's the big announcement? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Los Parks defeated the Von Erichs to become the NEW MLW tag team champions thanks to chicanery from Filthy Tom Lawler, the special referee hired by Salina de la Renta to preside over the match.

Salina also announced that Promociones Dorado had been acquired by... Azteca Underground, INC.... so they are continuing to tease Dario Cuerto and more talent from the former LU to show up in MLW.

I am starting to suspect that MLW is trying to ramp up AU booking to take the heavy lifting off of CONTRA Unit.... which is very smart.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put the MLW Title on Hammerstone very soon.

Lio Rush also recently defeated Myron Reed to become the new MLW Middleweight Champion and cut quite the heel promo following his victory.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched a little of the Filthy Island stuff and I am not sure if this is supposed to look bush league and amateurish on purpose or not.  it is clear they are doing a version of Fyre Fest with his crappy the service and food is.  But the actual product looks like one of those backyard death match shows that ran during the summer

• 2 weeks later...

Tankman vs. Laredo Kid was the shit. Laredo had almost enough firepower but Tankman is, well, a tank. So many crazy spots in this match. Fuck, that was great.

I'm very disappointed in Dynasty not breaking up yet. Hammerstone needs to leave him in the dirt. 

Meanwhile, Fatu needs to be in AEW NOW. Along with Josef Samael. Tony, do it. Trade Court Shawn Spears and even Miro. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm very disappointed in Dynasty not breaking up yet. Hammerstone needs to leave him in the dirt. 

I'd also like to see the Dynasty broken up and have Hammerstone working the main event, but I believe that Richard Holiday is the unsung hero of the MLW mid-card.  

With MLW being so heel heavy, I think the answer is to let Hammerstone run as a tweener and have him eventually lift the title off of Fatu.  I am not sure what you can do with Holiday other than use him as a gateway guy.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:39 AM, hammerva said:

Watched a little of the Filthy Island stuff and I am not sure if this is supposed to look bush league and amateurish on purpose or not.  it is clear they are doing a version of Fyre Fest with his crappy the service and food is.  But the actual product looks like one of those backyard death match shows that ran during the summer

Yeah it was intentional. Story line wise, it was revealed that Lawlor was squatting on the Von Erich's ranch, unbeknownst to them.