DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Kabuki Theater - 5/14/2019 - SPOILERS

Dolfan in NYC

I thought as far as main event promos go, I think the one with Owens and Kingston was good. When Owens was just deriding Owens in the corner, he came off as really intense. I liked the idea that Kingston is on his own here and his boys are too hurt to back him up right now.

I mean I don't watch the WWE shows religiously, but when I tune into Smackdown, it tends to be watchable more often than not at least better than Raw on a regular basis.

Kabuki Warriors...I mean...yeah. I can't defend it.

All of you posting those pictures of psycho clown Asuka set my hopes too high.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was surprised to learn that Asuka is like 38 or something like that?  She doesn't look a day over what 24?   Maybe she can wrestle for another decade. 

Aja Kong can still turn in decent-solid matches with a few great performances every year at 48, 33 years into her career. Its entirely possible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The Happy Endings 

That's what Vince Russo wanted to call Gail Kim's finisher. TNA changed it after two weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick said:

so now that's settled - maybe we can move on from all the racial accusations and point scoring in every fucking thread that's turning the board to shit.

Hilarious coming from you, since you were quick to call me anti-white a while back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What was wrong with Asuka and Kairi both being great singles wrestlers? 

Maybe they'll actually get pushed with some consistency as a team?

I don't know, and I appear to be in a small minority, but I honestly love the name Kabuki Warriors.

So is Kabuki not a good term or are people irritated because it is reference to their nationality? Or is this getting lumped in with other garbage because the WWE lost the benefit of the doubt? Or do people just find the name dumb like the whole Viking Experience debacle? Not being sarcastic or baiting. I assumed it is referencing Asuka's entrance mask.

Kabuki is a form of Japanese live theatre, it literally translates to Singing Dancing Acting or something very close to that.

Edited by Brian Fowler

1 hour ago, OctopusCinema said:

So is Kabuki not a good term or are people irritated because it is reference to their nationality? Or is this getting lumped in with other garbage because the WWE lost the benefit of the doubt? Or do people just find the name dumb like the whole Viking Experience debacle? Not being sarcastic or baiting. I assumed it is referencing Asuka's entrance mask.

It these two. People look at it as reference to them being Japanese, and many assume WWE/Vince its just being lazy and racist. In reality Asuka's entrance attire has had Kabuki elements for probably close to a decade while Kairi did theater in college. The name more than likely came from them. Its not the first time this has happened. Many assumed the same with Cryme Tyme and original angry black men version of New Day until reports came out stating otherwise.

Personally, I just think it sounds kind of dumb though nowhere as bad as the Viking Experience. It also isn't a reference to Kairi people would recognize without doing a deep dive into her history. Its odd to leave the pirate theme out of the name considering its part of Kairi's nickname.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1

The bigger issue is that it's two Japanese women who are extremely talented and instead of being out on their own as singles competitors they are seemingly thrown together for no other reason than they are both Japanese.  You can argue whether it's racist the key is that WWE is not allowing either of them to stand on their own.  

Also,  the idea that maybe this will get the tag division rolling. Maybe, I doubt it. IIconics have barely been on TV the last few weeks and before that they lost every match they've been in and not in a Shawn Michaels I'm just going to take a walk with my title and get counted out kind of way.  They have been dominated. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

In reality Asuka's entrance attire has had Kabuki elements for probably close to a decade while Kairi did theater in college. The name more than likely came from them. Its not the first time this has happened. Many assumed the same with Cryme Tyme and original angry black men version of New Day until reports came out stating otherwise.

Not more than likely - Paige confirmed that the use of "Kabuki" in the name (aka the reason people are labelling it racist) came directly from them. You could break it down and be like "Well, the reason Vince teamed them up is because they're both Japanese and THAT is racist," but the name "Kabuki Warriors" in and of itself, is much less racist than say...the entire exchange between Mark and Nate earlier in this thread.

Knowing it was them that came up with the name I don't mind it much.  And Brian and Elvion's posts make sense for why they would come up with it.  I do agree on the Kairi's side not being represented though I'm not sure if something like The Kabuki Pirates would have been better or not.

I don't see why the word "pirate" has to be in the name of every team Kairi is in. Combined gimmick team names are as lazy as combined mash-up entrance music. Breezango and Mahalicia level lazy. They didn't call the New Age Outlaws the "Double Rockabillies."

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Hilarious coming from you, since you were quick to call me anti-white a while back.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN /Smokey

I can only clap. Well done.

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

I don't see why the word "pirate" has to be in the name of every team Kairi is in. Combined gimmick team names are as lazy as combined mash-up entrance music. Breezango and Mahalicia level lazy. They didn't call the New Age Outlaws the "Double Rockabillies."

Or "Mr. Dogg"

Or, well, "Road Ass"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3