DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV (05/15/09) - Spoiler Free

RIPPA

Advertised for Tomorrow

- Vikings Raiders address their future

- KUSHIDA wrestles

- What is going on with Undisputed Era?

- Vanessa Bourne vs. Jessie (who I guess has last her last name)

- Keith Lee returns to action

Edited by RIPPA
Rippa's an idiot

The opening segment with Viking Raiders and Street Profits was nice. The main event was fun while it lasted. Even with the post match brawl it was still pretty disappointing to see Raiders relinquish the belts instead of lose them to Street Profits or anyone really.

Dug the healing of Undisputed Era via Strong likely trying to murder Riddle behind the scenes.

Kushida/Reeves was a pretty nice showcase for Kushida. I kind of liked it more than the Ohno if I'm being honest.

Bourne/Jessie was nice while it lasted and a good heel showcase for Vanessa Bourne.

I thought this show bordered on not very good. I hate the War/Viking Raiders relinquishing the belts. It makes the rest of the division look weak, just as Asuka not losing the title made the rest of the women look bad. 

I hope UE are back on the same page, and we don't get a swerve put together by Roderick and Riddle. Roderick has really found his stride in NXT since being with UE.

I'm optimistic about a Kushida/Gulak program. I know the match vs. Reeves was a showcase for Kushida, but he had to slow down to let Reeves attempt to keep up, and it just looked disjointed.

I thought Jessie looked better than Vanessa Bourne. Outside of their physcial beauty, I don't see much in Bourne and Aaliyah. Am I the only one when Jessie was announced that immediately of thought of "I'm so excited. I'm so excited. I'm so scared."?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 1

Outside of Vanessa and Aliyah having more of a gimmick to work off of, I'm still not buying into them. Not a bad match, a rather decent showing for Borne I thought. I just dont see much there in the ring. I dont know much about Jessie Eleban, but I see some potential there. She is athletic though a bit awkward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peck said:

Did they actually relinquish the titles though or did they change their mind when they accepted the match? That's what confused me.

They changed their minds, but laid the belts down in the ring and gave a final bow after the fuck finish.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peck said:

Did they actually relinquish the titles though or did they change their mind when they accepted the match? That's what confused me.

FWIW, the one who looks worst is Regal for letting the Vikings just walk away.   They looked like cowards who had to be goaded into one last title shot.  

When they thrust the belts at him, he should have just thrust it back and said (and I know this is mixing metaphors), "Come back with your shield, or on it."  You don't get to just say, okay we're done.  You fight until someone beats you or you physically can't fight any more. 

This just sets a bad precedent and really makes NXT look like the "inferior" brand, at the moment where they need to look more important.  

The rest was eh.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

FWIW, the one who looks worst is Regal for letting the Vikings just walk away.   They looked like cowards who had to be goaded into one last title shot.  

When they thrust the belts at him, he should have just thrust it back and said (and I know this is mixing metaphors), "Come back with your shield, or on it."  You don't get to just say, okay we're done.  You fight until someone beats you or you physically can't fight any more. 

This just sets a bad precedent and really makes NXT look like the "inferior" brand, at the moment where they need to look more important.  

The rest was eh.  

Not to make matters worse, but the Vikings already feel irrelevant on the main roster. I can't even remember, but were they even on Raw this past week? Even if they were, it wasn't memorable.

Not to mention, when Asuka dropped the belt, she did it after an extremely long run with the title where she couldn't be stopped. There were plenty of women that she helped elevate though by coming just close enough to win. I didn't see that much of a problem with Ember not getting the job done because she still looked strong enough and still looked like she would be the next to hold that belt.

With the tag division, the Vikings haven't had that long of a run with the titles and it would have been smarter for them to be upset by the Street Profits or another team to at least put that team over on the way out. Yeah, that's an expected finish, but wrestling works best if the finish is expected and makes sense. It would have elevated another team. With them just dropping the belts and saying bye it makes everyone else look shittier in comparison. There just isn't anyone that looks as strong as Ember Moon or Nikki Cross looked when Asuka left.

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

How often have NXT titles been vacated? It seems like one or two of them go into abeyance at least once a year, or maybe it just seems that way with people constantly being called up.

I think I counted three times but now I am going off my memory

• Paige
  • Asuka
  • War Raiders

Those three definitely happened

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I think I counted three times but now I am going off my memory

• Paige
  • Asuka
  • War Raiders

Those three definitely happened

And Paige was only because JBL said she couldn’t hold an NXT and WWE title at the same time.

How many people have otherwise debuted with an NXT title? Owens and Ciampa and who else?

Edited by JonnyLaw

2 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

How many people have otherwise debuted with an NXT title? Owens and Ciampa and who else?

Sasha

EDIT - this is assuming things like Andrade being in the Royal Rumble didn't count as his "debut"

4 hours ago, Rick said:

Kushida is doing nothing to convince me. Cool entrance music aside,  he looks like a complete dork in the back to the future cosplay, and is nothing special in the ring (and tiny). Should have been shipped to 205 straight away.

I'd suggest seeking out his New Japan work before passing judgment based on two matches, one of which was with fucking Kona Reeves. 

I like the Back to the Future gimmick. I love The Time Splitters entrance from Wrestle Kingdom 8.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:39 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I thought Jessie looked better than Vanessa Bourne. Outside of their physcial beauty, I don't see much in Bourne and Aaliyah. Am I the only one when Jessie was announced that immediately of thought of "I'm so excited. I'm so excited. I'm so scared."?

I need that to be played before her entrance music from now on

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2019 at 12:38 PM, AverageKong said:

Outside of Vanessa and Aliyah having more of a gimmick to work off of, I'm still not buying into them. Not a bad match, a rather decent showing for Borne I thought. I just dont see much there in the ring. I dont know much about Jessie Eleban, but I see some potential there. She is athletic though a bit awkward. 

VanAli needs a big gal enforcer/bodyguard to really make them a threat because as they are, the only thing threatening about them is maybe some half arse mean words. Thank goodness there's a couple big gals signed who can easily fill the role.

Right now Jessie is as create-a-wrestler mode as you can get. She did have a geeky dork thing going the 1st time we saw her but she's way too tall and athletic for that to sell. Her options are limited since she's so green; if she  had more miles, going with a professional business type ace character would fit well with her.

Guest Edwin
On 5/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, Rick said:

Kushida is doing nothing to convince me. Cool entrance music aside,  he looks like a complete dork in the back to the future cosplay, and is nothing special in the ring (and tiny). Should have been shipped to 205 straight away.

His match with Ohno from last week was fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

This was the first show with Beth Phoenix as commentator and while he is definitely more knowledgeable than Percy Watson she doesn't seem to be as involved.  Also I wait for Beth to finally talk about Mauro about his constant need to throw hip hop references and say "Nobody knows what you are talking about"

Keith Lee is just a great talent but right now he is the poster child for the guy/girl who is stuck because of all the talent currently on the roster.  He isn't a lower card guy but he made need a telescope to see the main event level.  Again if guys like Lee is stuck in the middle how in the world guys like Shane Strickland and Trevor Lee going to get there.  I hate to say but NXT may need a second hour

So Jessie isn't playing that overly caffeinated Dudley Girl like before?  Can' see how it doesn't have a long shelf life but thought it was really entertaining

Edited by hammerva