DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Playoffs: SEMIFINALS

Contentious C

Conference finals are set.  Who ya got???

I don't think Portland has enough consistency and depth of shooting to hang with GS, and I don't think Toronto has enough bench to hang with Milwaukee (they only went 7 deep in that game 7 vs. Philly).  GS in 5-6, Milwaukee in 7 sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

I don't think Portland has enough consistency and depth of shooting to hang with GS, and I don't think Toronto has enough bench to hang with Milwaukee (they only went 7 deep in that game 7 vs. Philly).  GS in 5-6, Milwaukee in 7 sounds about right.

I’d say GS in 6 and and Bucks in 6.

Although if Kawhi shuts down Giannis, while also carrying the offense for a bunch of dudes who don’t want to shoot, I’m willing to crown him as the current best in the NBA.  Sorry KD.

Edited by Jrag

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

From what I've seen I think GS will go through in game 5 though I can imagine those games being fun to watch.  I can't honestly be that objective with the Bucks due to Giannis but even if I was I would still have them going over Toronto in game 6.  Assuming that's how it plays out a GS/Bucks final is going to be hard for me to predict given all involved.

Golden State vs. Portland begins tomorrow and the less I think about it, the better.   GS in 5.

Milwaukee vs. Toronto begins Wednesday, and I'm just going to pretend whoever wins that has won the NBA Championship, because the Warriors lucked into giving a hall of famer an extension off an injury year.    Bucks in 7. 

KD reportedly out for game 1 and expected to miss game 2. Gives Portland a slight chance. GSW in 6.

I might be crazy, but I think Milwaukee is going to steamroll Toronto. Bucks in 5.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Golden State vs. Portland begins tomorrow and the less I think about it, the better.   GS in 5.

Milwaukee vs. Toronto begins Wednesday, and I'm just going to pretend whoever wins that has won the NBA Championship, because the Warriors lucked into giving a hall of famer an extension off an injury year.    Bucks in 7. 

Would we really say that's who Cousins is?  Was he on that trajectory?  Probably.  But the track record for NBAers coming back from an Achilles injury is...not good.  He played well this year, but that was in a role that let him do what he could, rather than what the team needed.  Since then, Jokic has clearly passed him for best true center in the league, Gobert has been and continues to be better defensively, and AD/Giannis are better in the 5 with small lineups.  He'll have to show that level again to get back in that conversation, I think.  I hope he does, even if he's more laughably volatile than Rasheed Wallace on Ritalin.

Edited by Contentious C

Yeah, that.

But, I'm not sure Curry's play to that point told anyone he'd toss himself into the 'best player in the world' conversation like he did, either.  Him and Cousins actually have not too different numbers through 3 seasons given their positions, except Curry was better on offense, Cousins on defense, and Cousins played more games.  Giannis and Harden are the only other guys I can think of who made those kinds of leaps from 'good draft pick' to franchise-altering.  Even then, it was more a matter of time than people believing it. 

Well, there *was* Dirk.  Should probably tell NBA GMs something about shooters.

Plus, if Curry doesn't get hurt, their draft position probably improves such that they don't get both Barnes & Green in the following draft, and that might be just as lucky as the team-friendly contract.

Edited by Contentious C

15 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

So. Brook Lopez?

Toronto needs to find a lineup that chases him off the court the way Boston did, because... Damn.

That really was a perfect free agent signing by Milwaukee.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:57 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Bucks in 7 and GSW in 5.  The Warriors/Blazers series might be interesting if KD is out for the majority of it. 

Ugh, they're just going to sit KD until they lose a game or two, just to have him fresh for the Finals.  And it sucks because it's going to work. 

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Toronto needs to find a lineup that chases him off the court the way Boston did, because... Damn.

That really was a perfect free agent signing by Milwaukee.

I think they need to play Ibaka at center more; he's much better at defending in space than Gasol.

Lopez tearing it up is bittersweet because I don't think there's any way the Bucks can resign him next year.

32 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ugh, they're just going to sit KD until they lose a game or two, just to have him fresh for the Finals.  And it sucks because it's going to work. 

I think very much like Thanos,   a Warriors title this year is inevitable. 

Bless the NBA playoff gods. This is divine stuff right here. I love the ball movement from both sides. That touch Leonard pass to CJ a minute or two ago... Goddamn.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Man, Portland REALLY needed to escape with that win.

Yeah, I feel like the NBA playoffs are over.  I really hope Milwaukee shocks the world but man, Golden State is doing just enough to win so they can probably steamroll any team in the Finals.  

If Durant gets close to 100%, it's hard to imagine anyone beating them.

But if he's not, the Bucks are absolutely talented enough to make it interesting at least.

But, yeah, it's real damn hard to see Portland getting four of the next five, and a fifteen point half time lead on the road is the game you need to steal.

It was such a frustrating game for Portland.  You're not going get a lot of 17 point leads in games at Oracle especially when two your best players aren't playing their best.  I actually don't think this Warriors team is invincible, or at least not as strong as some of the previous versions.  However, it hasn't matter yet because every other team appears to have even bigger weaknesses than them.  I do hope the Bucks or Raptors supporting cast step up in the next round because you can't get away with donut games from them against the Warriors.

Anyway, the Warriors shotmaking is awe-inspiring to watch at times and whatever they did to revitalize Draymond Green they need to do every year.  He's killing it on the defense end and kept making playing by going to the basket.  The Blazers' defense in the 4th quarter look real bad.  You can't do anything about some of those Steph shots, but Draymond getting a wide open pick-roll layup late in the 4th like it was high school game was tough to watch.  The Blazers also wasted a good Seth Curry game.

Thank goodness they're holding Durant out (dont want him injured and I assume he'll be back for the Finals) because these games, especially last night, have been surprisingly fun to watch even if the inevitable Warrior's run and win is always right around the corner.

Edited by _MJ_