DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Dominion 2019

Raziel

It's also just nice getting some new blood in the G1.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the last two years were incredible, but it was what, 18 out of 20 the same guys?

Taichi/Ishii was match of the night, though wrong winner.   Afraid this is because Taichi will be out of G1, especially after Yoshi-Hashi pinned ZSJ tonight.  Taichi really brought it tonight.

Ibushi/Naito made me cringe to much to truly enjoy it, and Jericho held up better than I expected, though he can't go at NJPW level anymore- he's too broken down.  At least he can keep Tanahashi  busy at WK and they can have a fairly safe spectacle.

Well, interesting move ending on a strangely flat note.

Opening two matches were just what the doctor ordered. Mox squashes Umino, who gets a little heat and some huge respect, Mox gets his character over (ass-kicking violento babyface) and enters G1. BAM. Shingo has a mirror mode match with Kojima, who sells generously. Shingo enters G1. BAM. This is how to start a card. Wrestling. Story. Future plans. I'm in.

The next two matches are kind of just there, good undercard tag stuff, very pleasant, but I was on two monitors and spent a bit of time organising some citations in a document. No shame. Hyped for Liger-Suzuki whenever it happens.

Taichi faked like it was going to be a Taichi fuckbrawl (no offence Oyaji but this is not my favourite thing in the world) but we got a NEVER-style smash'em-up and by the end of this my hands are behind my head and I'm laughing at how good New Japan is compared to other established companies. Great match, also gives Ishii that booking protection he needs to get people over in the G1. With all the new names he might go losing record this time.

Tag team title wasn't brilliant but totally fine, humorous and the BUSHI/Jado bit gave it some levity. But the match was forgotten with the post-match - SHIBATA! KENTA!!!!!!!!! AND HE'S IN THE G1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 WHY DID I HAVE TO WRITE MY THESIS SO SLOWLY AND THUS MEAN I CAN'T WATCH WHAT COULD BE THE BEST G1 YET!!!!!!1

Not the world's hugest fan of Ospreay or Dragon Lee but by golly I was into their match and would probably say MOTN by a short head. That wipeout topé was absolutely sick as hell but well scouted for safety. Strange that there was no Hiromu or Ospreay G1 announcement, but word is Ospreay announced he would enter backstage. BAM.

A few people on Twitter are up in arms about the rough spots in Naito-Ibushi. I'm not one of them but this was probably the hardest to stay on board with. The replay of that German on the apron...I thought I saw a man die there. Biggest cringe since Sid's leg break. Good match but maybe I was taken out a little.

The main event was doubly disappointing inasmuch as it was a fine if forgettable match with a politicsed ending - no way is Jericho going to take a proper 'you got bossed' ending. I get that, but the post-match schmoz was uninspiring too and left Okada looking like a schmoe, Tana like a joe, and Jericho like he should just go.

But I did really enjoy the show. Strange what the ending can do for you.

• Like 2

I don't remember who, but back during the WK Cody match, someone posted on here "can you imagine being the surgeon who fixed Ibushi's neck?" or something to that effect.

It just gets more sadly relevant all the time. And I just don't understand. He is an insanely gifted athlete, a really good in-ring storyteller, and an incredibly sympathetic babyface. There is no reason to take these risks.

And pretty much ditto for Naito, who is also a really good athlete, an elite storyteller, and one of the five most charismatic wrestlers on the planet.

These two could have MOTYC caliber matches every night of the week without a single neck and brain threatening head drop.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I hope Moxley taking Umino to the back with him means Umino is now Moxley’s  protégé who he’ll take to AEW to toughen up. It probably won’t happen, but that would be a neat side story for Moxley in AEW & NJ.

It reminded me of Crush's early solo babyface squashes where he would be a bit of a dick and pick his jobber up after the match and raise his hand, and then as soon as he let go the guy would go straight down again. 

I so it also reminds me of Dazed and Confused - Jon Moxley's the senior who'll take the freshman drinking after paddling the shit of him.

• Like 1

Just now, ComingToAmerica said:

It reminded me of Crush's early solo babyface squashes where he would be a bit of a dick and pick his jobber up after the match and raise his hand, and then as soon as he let go the guy would go straight down again. 

I so it also reminds me of Dazed and Confused - Jon Moxley's the senior who'll take the freshman drinking after paddling the shit of him.

Hey now, Crush was being sincere with his sportsmanship.

I’m setting my expectations for KENTA’s G1 performances at very low. Going heavyweight with all the injuries he’s had could be a burden to his work, or maybe with all the extra weight he’ll finally slow down his style, and just be a in ring bully like Kawada, and Tenryu were.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Shingo, Ospreay, KENTA, Moxley, possibly Jericho... just for the new matchups, this is shaping up as the most wide-open G1 in years. I can dig it.

• Like 1

After today, dear god NO JERICHO IN THE G1!  Fuck, I know he's name recognition, but after today, if i were AEW, I'd be rethinking Main Event Jericho and just strap the fucking rocket to Page.

• Like 3