DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

A couple pages ago (maybe last month thread actually) somebody said WWE pays 8% of what they earn.

That should remove any arguments about money and pettiness right there. Nothing is below them.

It was Burgandy who posted that and I thought she said something along the lines of the standard is something like 8% of what the company earns is what employees make and WWE at present pays less than that. I'll try to find the exact comment.

Ah, found it. I was wrong:

WWE only pays out 8% of its revenue to talent. That's far below what sports leagues dole out. WWE could quadruple the talent share and still be well below the threshold.

Edited by Craig H

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

A couple pages ago (maybe last month thread actually) somebody said WWE pays 8% of what they earn.

That should remove any arguments about money and pettiness right there. Nothing is below them.

I mentioned it. It may be bad information, but I've seen that number go around a few times. Based on my admittedly sketchy review of WWE's financials, it seems accurate. Talent is underpaid, especially if they're not in the upper tier of performers. Among the top women who main event, who should easily make 7 figures, only Ronda was doing so.

Regarding Luke Harper, D-Bry is cleared to wrestle, Big E will be back relatively soon. Pair Harper up with D-Bry and Rowan. Harper and Rowan can feud with New Day over the tag straps while Kofi and Bryan can feud over the WWE Championship. 6 man tags to main event SmackDown throughout the Spring. They have that PPV in Tacoma come June run Kofi vs D-Bry as the Main in the Tacoma Dome. 

• Like 4

WWE isn't the most noxious promotion in terms of a plantation owner mentality, they are simply the biggest and most visible. The time is quickly approaching where this sad old dog ain't gonna hunt no more. People are either "independent contractors" or they are "employees" and if the latter, and you as a company are demanding that they travel as part of their duties... Well open up the wallet, daddy y'all need to pick up the tab for that shit. Sure, you can ask talent to pay up front and reimburse them monthly, quarterly, whatever's in the contract, but you must pay for travel-related expenses. This idea that WWE workers are independent contractors is laughable and if it ever makes its way to court VKM will be a very unhappy man when all is said and done. But like I said, WWE isn't the only one guilty of this sort of behavior, most indy promoters share this mentality. In other entertainment worlds, this shit isn't even a discussion; you want me to come in to a town (or towns) and do readings and sign books? Okay, I'm good with that; I'll need transport from the airport and from the hotel to the destination as I don't drive, actually a hotel/motel within a mile of the event would be cool as I don't mind a walk; I like to eat three meals a day and I'll expect them to be covered; as long as the hotel/motel is an acceptable facility (Best Western or better), we're good to go. This is so typical that to consider anything else is kind of hard to wrap my head around except for having been a wrestling fan for fifty years and having known what a fucked-up business it is for about forty years.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Regarding Luke Harper, D-Bry is cleared to wrestle, Big E will be back relatively soon. Pair Harper up with D-Bry and Rowan. Harper and Rowan can feud with New Day over the tag straps while Kofi and Bryan can feud over the WWE Championship. 6 man tags to main event SmackDown throughout the Spring. They have that PPV in Tacoma come June run Kofi vs D-Bry as the Main in the Tacoma Dome. 

I love the idea, but it's way too logical for the 'E.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

You're not allowed to pay the wrestlers more. The shareholders(ie, Vince and the like) need more money to blow on stupid frivolous bullshit like the XFL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/1/2019 at 1:38 PM, Hagan said:

Everything with the Moxley video is hilarious. "Burnt out dudes planning to retire" don't probably spend thousands of dollars* filming a high end vignette that posts minutes after their contract expires. I bet dude is motivated to go out, make some money and cause a ruckus.

*of course, he may not have done it himself and it may be a AEW production but that furthers the point that the WWE-side claiming he was retiring was either willfully lying or let themselves get worked pretty hard. 

Are we sure he’s not staring in a WWE production of Varsity Blues 2?  The plot is this:  Jonathan “Mox” Moxson’s Football career flamed out and is now a bounty hunter.  His high school buddy Tweeder escapes from jail, and Mox is the only one with the skills and knowledge to help the FBI (played by the Revival) track him down.  This scenario seems much more plausible 

Edited by iowanole
  • Haha 4

There’s an argument to be made by shareholders that these alleged huge contracts being paid out to guys they have little intention of using constitutes waste. IIRC, they’ve had people sniffing around in regards to derivative suits before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iowanole said:

Are we sure he’s not staring in a WWE production of Varsity Blues 2?  The plot is this:  Jonathan “Mox” Moxson’s Football career flamed out and is now a bounty hunter.  His high school buddy Tweeder escapes from jail, and Mox is the only one with the skills and knowledge to help the FBI (played by the Revival) track him down.  This scenario seems much more plausible 

VBII; Mox on the Run? I’d watch the shit out of that....

• Like 2

With the whole Rush thing I think the book on him for virtually his entire stay in WWE is that he seems to have maturity issues, and while he could surely raise his value on the indies I could also see him being someone who continues to rub people the wrong way and hence doesn't get nearly the the number of independent opportunities to raise said value as some (him in particular) would think. 

With him I just don't know that it is really a WWE deal, the specifics would change but if he ended up with AEW instead I think it's very likely that he ends up pissing of his coworkers there as well. It might be worse for him out there as on the indies if you make an enemy of the twitter masses (which he's already done at least once) the consequences can be very direct on your bottom line, while in WWE/NXT you are buffered a bit from that. 

Harper on the other hand should very much be looking to work elsewhere, but at near 40 and being a bigger guy working a physical style I almost wonder if it is better for him if they just hold him out as opposed to trying to burn as much tread off the tire as possible while he is still under contract. I don't know what the direct monetary difference is in terms of downsides vs. whatever else he'd make if he was more present, and god I'd sure as hell rather watch him work this year than not, but they might accidentally not be doing terribly wrong by him.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

There’s an argument to be made by shareholders that these alleged huge contracts being paid out to guys they have little intention of using constitutes waste. IIRC, they’ve had people sniffing around in regards to derivative suits before.

But there's a counter-argument to the shareholders that trying to aggregate the best talent for your company and keep them away from other companies to make them better is the exact opposite. Why would a shareholder NOT want a company to have the best workers in the industry, including hiring the best workers to make sure their competitors in the market have to hire inferior workers who won't give them a chance at catching up to them?

3 hours ago, iowanole said:

I won't lie. I would totally watch the shit out of this and buy all blu ray copies

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iowanole said:

... would we get Renee Young in a whipped cream bikini?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, supremebve said:

That's good, but these guys are on the road for what 200-250 days a year?  A hotel room is generally around $100 a night, a rental car is $100+ depending on how far you're driving it.  That shit adds up fucking fast.

Also:

• Pretty much 1/3 or more goes to taxes
  • They're paying for their own medical coverage
  • Food (there's catering at the show, but you need breakfast and lunch)
  • Gym fees unless you get a hookup or the hotel has a gym
  • Pretty sure they have to pay for their own gear

I don't get the mental block some "smart" fans have when it comes to comprehending how much of these "independent contractors'" salaries go to supporting their job.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Also:

• Pretty much 1/3 or more goes to taxes
  • They're paying for their own medical coverage
  • Food (there's catering at the show, but you need breakfast and lunch)
  • Gym fees unless you get a hookup or the hotel has a gym
  • Pretty sure they have to pay for their own gear

I don't get the mental block some "smart" fans have when it comes to comprehending how much of these "independent contractors'" salaries go to supporting their job.

Do they have any kind of catering at house shows? I always thought the catering at tv tapings was mainly for the production crew that was sort of a perk for the wrestlers those days.

• Like 1

You can't mention catering in Wrestling without the classicxScott Steiner:  "Not sure how pritchard hogan n bitchoff convinced dixie to turn her back on the ppl who built up Tna. They cut the money for catering and we startd using paper plates n plastic.f*****g crazy!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

... would we get Renee Young in a whipped cream bikini?

Nope. Seth.

I don't know what the answer is for Harper. I feel that him and Rowan as a team has run its course. I'd like to see him change his look up, get rid of the beard, put him on Raw, and send him out to pick on Rey Rey.