DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

Any criticism of Captain Marvel right now, you really have to look at who it's coming from. Because even though the movie was a big hit, those Alt-right idiots have not abandoned their campaign to make it fail. They're really pissed off that Brie Larson noticed how most movie reviewers were middle aged middle class white men, and said so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hawkeye: "My wife and kids are back!"

Mrs. Hawkeye: "What the hell did you do to your hair?!??!  And when did you get this shitty sleeve done, you've only been gone for a few seconds.  Are you seeing someone?  I bet it's Natasha, that fucking slut.  Yeah, she's Russian, but SHE COULDNT GIVE YOU A FAMILY, COULD SHE, CLINT!!!"

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Of course, you have to be careful if you have valid criticisms too, BECAUSE of the alt-right idiots. If you have anything bad to say, people  want to lump you in with that group. See: Jedi, The Last.

I saw Captain Marvel right after Endgame (drive-in double feature), and ... it may have been shaped by the negative campaign against the movie, but there was a part that I thought the message was a little heavy-handed, for a genre film.  But it gave my daughter a positive message (she's 10, almost 11) that might ring hollow if I tried to frame it to her, so I liked it for that.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nate said:

I saw Captain Marvel right after Endgame (drive-in double feature), and ... it may have been shaped by the negative campaign against the movie, but there was a part that I thought the message was a little heavy-handed, for a genre film.  But it gave my daughter a positive message (she's 10, almost 11) that might ring hollow if I tried to frame it to her, so I liked it for that.

More or less how I felt. I have it middle tier in my MCU rankings, and like you, I found a couple of things to be really heavy handed. At the same time though, I understand that the people it was intended for dug it, so no beef from me on that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

More or less how I felt. I have it middle tier in my MCU rankings, and like you, I found a couple of things to be really heavy handed. At the same time though, I understand that the people it was intended for dug it, so no beef from me on that.

Captain Marvel is middle to lower tier in my MCU rankings.

Just now, The Natural said:

Captain Marvel is middle to lower tier in my MCU rankings.

I had to cheat and use Flickchart because I was having a tough time ranking the films, and ended up with Captain Marvel at #17.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, nate said:

OOOH!  And ... something I noticed, and by no means am I a language prude or anything ... but this mug had a whole lot of drops of the S-bomb.  Hell, even Mr. "Language" himself busts out an "You've gotta be shitting me*."

*In retrospect, I would have accepted this as the MCU's "I've got a bad feeling about this."

You forgot the line with the best (and hopefully evergreen) meme potential: "That is America's ass."  

• Haha 4

I think the movie did a good job showing that pretty much all the heroes were needed.  Carol had her role, Ant-Man had his,   Tony had his,  Strange had his,  Cap had his,  Black Widow had hers,  I mean pretty much everyone got a little bit of shine.  Some had larger roles to play than others.  I was fine with Iron Man and Captain America having by far the most screen time they are the cornerstones and deserve it. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 4

I enjoyed it for what it was.  It wrapped things up in a fairly neat bow and it set things up for future MCU stuff.

I will gripe a bit with Odessasteps as I usually hate time travel as the vehicle to explain a franchise reboot.

The second hour dragged on a bit, but the third hour was undeniably one of the most brilliant and cathartic things I have seen in a movie.  There are plenty of heroes left to go around post Endgame, but post Endgame MCU feels a little like post Cold War real life earth, doesn't it.  You'd think that things should be a little safer but what threats will rush to fill the void left by Thanos? 

Should we celebrate the end of the Mad Titan, or should we be preparing ourselves for what may come next?  Can we count on the Avengers to assemble again when evil inevitably rises again?

Million billion stars.

I was mildly disappointed with the way Captain Marvel was used aka galactic life preserver, but it's not like everything she was able to do wasn't prefaced in her nicely timed origin piece.  Once I saw Carol Danvers take off with the Skrulls in Mar-Vell's starship to find them a homeworld in her intro movie, I said to myself, "That's how Tony gets back to earth."

And leave it to fucking Marvel to do Captain America a solid and give him a second chance at a happy ending with the love of his life, Peggy Carter.  He kept his promise.  He wasn't late for their date thanks to the Time Stone.   This was the only used of deus ex machine time travel in the movie that I approved of.

There is no better way to reward the man who selflessly fought the good fight.  There wasn't a dry eye in the house when Steve gave the shield to Sam.  Mother Fucking Bravo!

Batshit Insane Clint Barton > Family Man Clint Barton.  Ronin either needs his own movie or he needs a decent series on the Disney+ For Grown Ups streaming service aka Hulu.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I get both sides of the Captain Marvel criticisms. She was essentially a deus ex machina, literally swooping in to save the day two different times, so you can’t say she wasn’t important. However, other than wishing Rhodey luck and reminding people other planets were affected by the snap too, saving the day is literally all she did, so she didn’t really have any character beats.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nate said:

Only thing I really hate Captain Marvel for, is putting "Just a Girl" back in my head after 20 years of freedom.

My college roommate (who I've known since middle school) only ever banned one song in our dorm, after he found himself half singing it, I think on the way to football practice but it might've been class.

Great song

• Like 3