DVDVR Message Board

AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS

Casey

I think I mostly feel disappointed by this.  I'm not sure how much of that is because a door is closing and how much is because all those early spoilers happened to be accurate.

In large part, I despise time travel plots, and on that level, I was sort of tapping out for the whole movie.  That said, they did mitigate as much of that as possible by trying to behave as though there were rules that had to be obeyed and that some actions were - and turned out to be - irreversible.  I also felt like a lot of characters got short shrift, though mostly those were the ones brought back, so it's hard to be too bothered by that.  

Oddly enough, I think I probably came closest to crying when Tony started talking to his daughter in her slightly-too-reminiscent-of-Will-Byers funhouse.  Guess they don't have Stranger Things on 616.  Thor talking to Frigga was borderline waterworks, too, as was the moment on Vormir.

3rd-best moment: Ronin.  All the camera work in that section almost - almost - makes me think the Russos were wasted on Marvel movies.  And Clint, for that 3 minutes, is a better version of the Punisher than Jon Bernthal ever was.

2nd-best moment: Girl Power.  Watching Wanda & Carol hand Thanos his ass was, frankly, about damn time.  The bit with the Power gem was damned crafty, though.

Best moment: Well, this one is obvious, because everyone in the fucking theater lost their shit when it happened.  When I saw Mjolnir start floating, I just figured Thor was doing it to save his own bacon.  Nope.  Have wanted to see that for a long time.  Also confirms what I figured from Age of Ultron - Steve only couldn't lift in then because they were just doing it to show off.

Less thrilled about: the lack of the Bruce/Nat story going anywhere besides its inevitable conclusion.  They should have scuttled that whole Howard Stark section and given that time to this (though keeping Steve's section of the same stretch).  Would have been good to give Rocket & Groot more than just a super-quick beat together during the battle, for that matter.

And, totally wrong about Cap buying it, although I think there could have been a really interesting story to tell by having a big death early in the film, *particularly* when the whole point was to invoke time travel.  The ending, at least at first blush, seems fitting, but there's still some jiggery-pokery for it to happen at all.  Steve wouldn't have kept the Time Gem, so clearly the Ancient One sent him back to some point into the past, which means there's a branching timeline anyway even after her Dire Warnings of Messing with the Universe~!~! So, yeah, time travel fucking sucks as a plot device.

I was hoping beforehand that I'd be really jazzed about going back to watch it again, but I realize at this point I'd just be doing it to catch all the jokes that the rest of the audience laughed over.  Still below the easy top 4 (GotG, Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, Infinity War) and on the higher end of the rather large cluster of films that don't quite hit those heights.

Edited by Contentious C

The Banner undusting is in many ways more interesting than the obvious collapse in civilisation that would likely result from the Thanos dusting. I guess Spiderman FFH will touch upon this a bit but I'm curious to what extent they use the fallout of trillions of beings reappearing to move into Phase 4.

two bits from me:

Carol was the worst part of the movie for me. thought her solo was pretty damn good, but she really was just deus ex machina in this. not a fan of the "girl power" moment.

unless i missed it, Cap never brought back the hammer at the end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Carol was the worst part of the movie for me. thought her solo was pretty damn good, but she really was just deus ex machina in this. not a fan of the "girl power" moment.

Yeah pretty much. 

In retrospect, I think Endgame would have been better as two movies. I think another or hour or so would have allowed them to tell a better story. 

• Like 1

I think Carol was the way she was in this movie because they shot it first and literally had nothing to go on for the character since the script wasn’t even done for her solo movie apparently. Ultimately I think it works, though. She’s more “battle hardened” and snarky in this movie since it’s been like 20+ years since we saw her and who knows what’s happened since 1995 with her. She wasn’t a focus of the movie, and she didn’t end up being the one to beat Thanos. That was the two worries that people had going in regarding her character and neither ended up being true, so that’s good.

I have severe issues with the timeline now, though. It’s been 5 years, how is Peter Parker and especially Ned still in high school? If they were both dusted, okay, I guess I get it, since they’d stay the same age... but that means everyone in the FFH trailers that go to school with them, like MJ and Flash, would have graduated already and would be 5 years older than they were in Homecoming.

• Like 3

Saw the movie a few hours ago. I don't have major issues with time travel plots, but i don;t love them either. I did like how it seemingly worked in this one for the most part. I liked how they followed up and ended many of the characters' stories up to this point. With the 5 years into the future aspect sticking its going to be weird and interesting to see how they handle the next few films. Overall I dug the film quite a bit. Not sure I liked it more than Infinity War, but its ranks high for me though I can see how it may not for others.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I have severe issues with the timeline now, though. It’s been 5 years, how is Peter Parker and especially Ned still in high school? If they were both dusted, okay, I guess I get it, since they’d stay the same age... but that means everyone in the FFH trailers that go to school with them, like MJ and Flash, would have graduated already and would be 5 years older than they were in Homecoming.

Its clear they were dusted along with so many others at this point.

4 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

In retrospect, I think Endgame would have been better as two movies. I think another or hour or so would have allowed them to tell a better story. 

I don't see how. They covered a good deal with the time they had. Anything more would have been unnecessary excess. 

7 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Less thrilled about: the lack of the Bruce/Nat story going anywhere besides its inevitable conclusion.  They should have scuttled that whole Howard Stark section

I can't agree at all with this. Was never fond of Bruce/Nat pairing and had no interest in seeing any sort of big follow up to it. 

• Like 1

My only really huge issue with this was the Nebula stuff. It was like they booked themselves into a corner with how to get Thanos back involved, and the deal with Nebula was like "ok, this is all we got". Also, the battle with Thanos didn't feel as personal as Infinity War. I KNOW that the stakes were high, but they didn't feel that way. It almost felt like they were fighting a different dude.

Having Danvers kill him would have "Roman Reigns'd" here instantly, and I say that as someone who liked her solo film. 

Wouldn't be shocked if the "5 years later" stuff gets retconned quickly. That is going to make it tough for their narratives going forward.

All-in-all, the only thing I really wanted was for them to nail the ending and make me cry. They hit a home run on that. The Stark/Peter reunion kicked off the water works, and idk if I ever recovered after that. Loved the tiny moments in the funeral scene like Hank "never trust a Stark" Pym even being there. Thought the final shot was beautiful too, because a major thread throughout the franchise is that Cap never got to live a life. He was a soldier from day one and nothing else, and the last shot was him having what he always wanted.

• Like 2

I'm by no means a huge advocate of these films. I enjoy them for what they are but I don't get particularly hyped about any of them. I see them early mainly to avoid spoilers. With that said, I really enjoyed this one in its entirety. It's an impressive achievement if you try not to question it too much because it delicately is a love letter to every film that came before it in this universe, and its callbacks are clever, especially the Winter Soldier elevator callback. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

I can't agree at all with this. Was never fond of Bruce/Nat pairing and had no interest in seeing any sort of big follow up to it. 

There was also no one else, not an actual Avenger at the time anyway. Plus they'd always had a connection through her recruitment. It's not like it was air dropped into the plot of Age of Ultron. 

I'm also not advocating that they have something like Cap and Peggy get. Just a real acknowledgment that wasn't that lame glance in the prior movie. Hell, if all they'd done is make the time travel countdown a 10-count rather than a 3, have them stand next to each other on the Pym Platform, and have Bruce reach out and squeeze her hand, that would be something. 

It's telling that Cap has the ending he does, while Nat, who, since going straight, is no less of a self-sacrificing do-gooder, gets thrown off a cliff. 

Speaking of relationships, am I the only one who saw Carol say "good luck" to Rhodey and think, "Well that didn't take long." (I mean yeah, 5 years their time, but...)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

unless i missed it, Cap never brought back the hammer at the end. 

10 hours ago, Contentious C said:

You missed it. He picked it up when he went to return the gems. 

He took it back in time with him, and presumably left it in Asgard so Thor in the past could continue to use it. They were doing their best to close the plot loopholes (except the ones they were intending to to explore further). Hopefully whatever race Gamora is has a long lifespan, because they have to find her, do whatever adventures with her, then persuade her to go back in time so she can participate in in GotG1 & 2, and then get killed in IW.

So if you were a parent of identical twins, and one got dusted but the other didn't, now they're still identical but one is five years older than the other. Like in Les Revenants.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

He took it back in time with him, and presumably left it in Asgard so Thor in the past could continue to use it. They were doing their best to close the plot loopholes (except the ones they were intending to to explore further). Hopefully whatever race Gamora is has a long lifespan, because they have to find her, do whatever adventures with her, then persuade her to go back in time so she can participate in in GotG1 & 2, and then get killed in IW.

Pretty sure its technically an alternate timeline/universe at this point. The Ancient One even indicated that while they might save their own they would essentially be screwing over hers before Bruce mentioned returning the stones. Its why Nebula survived killing herself and why taking out Thanos's Army here didn't screw everything up. IW will never happen in that timeline now.

I was thinking about Infinity War pretty much never happening now, due to the time travel. With that said, shouldn't that have undone literally everything done by the original snap, since they killed Thanos before he could do it?  Time travel stories are such a headache.

All they did was bring back everyone that was snapped. To the people snapped it was a second but it was still five years.

Tony demanded this compromise so his daughter still existed

They never changed their past, they just collected the stones

Edited by ivpvideos
  • Like 1

Loved it! Epic shit.

It's so weird to go back and watch Iron Man 1 and see how fantastical and super-hero-y the movies became (and mainstream at that). Insane cultural transformation.

I have no idea how the Russos were able to sustain the brutal amount of tension until the final battle (kids were going ape shit throughout the entire scene), it was insanely cathartic, all the little moments were perfect. I found myself rooting and hoping someone would just cave Thanos head in, but him seeing everything crumbling and dusting away and just resigning and accepting the loss was amazing.

Tony dies after Peter, Pepper and Rhodey said good-bye.

This 13-14 year old next to me started bawling during this scene and didn't stop until the credits rolled. I almost hugged the kid, but his parent/older sibling were comforting him throughout. It made the movie better by about 5%. Amazing experience.

• Like 3

So Loki disappearing with the Tesseract following the Battle of New York, does that mean that we're in a new timeline where the events of Dark World, Ragnarok and IW now took place without him present, or does it mean that at some point he has to go back to New York 2012, turn himself in and do everything he did in those movies to complete his destiny?

Fucking epic movie.  Loved it all.

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

So Loki disappearing with the Tesseract following the Battle of New York, does that mean that we're in a new timeline where the events of Dark World, Ragnarok and IW now took place without him present, or does it mean that at some point he has to go back to New York 2012, turn himself in and do everything he did in those movies to complete his destiny?

I'm guessing that's something that'll be addressed with the other new timeline stuff that happened,  like Steve living life from the 50's and the fact that Thanos never assembled the Stones in the first place. 

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'm under the impression the timelines are now separate ones existing together opposed to anything changing for the one we have been following. All that shit still happened as it did in the one we have been following in the films while the timeline they took the stones from has been changed.

• Like 3

Did the guy who played Mr Jarvis in Agent Carter just became the first Marvel actor who debuted in TV to then appear in an actual movie? And he's now worked with both Howard Stark actors (sort of, there's more than two technically) as well.

Apparently the trick with the de-aging tech depends on having lots of high quality photographs of the actor at the age you want to recreate them as. Which is why 1991 Hank Pym is all over both Ant Mans (Ant Men?), but 1970 Hank Pym got very little facetime.

Really looking forward to the next GotG now. And I believe Thor 4 will happen as well.

• Like 4