DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

I've seen bits and pieces of Chris Colt. However, I think a fair amount of that was doing the super bizarre Nazi thing in late era Continental. 

It's definitely one of those "you had to be there" type things. And to be fair, there are plenty of things that were considered fascinating in 90s and 2000s pro wrestling that would be super hard to explain now w/o any type of context. Plus, kayfabe is pretty much dead so you stopping having wrestlers who provided some sense or element of actual danger cause you're in on it.

I think they probably were focusing more on the gay man in super hyper masculine pro wrestling aspect and how he spent his time as a wrestler making people uncomfortable who probably would've been uncomfortable with his out of the ring lifestyle. From that perspective, it kinda makes sense.

He sorta went beyond that to reference AIDS and gay men with AIDS looking up to muscular wrestlers who are the sort of invincible people that they aren’t due to their disease.

There might be a bit of a “how did I make it through this” feeling with some people in that scene. Like how the director alluded to how many of his stars ended up dead. Having that many people you know ending up dead young almost certainly has an effect on someone. Maybe to the point where after so many people it just stops having the same effect.

not sure what Chris Adams was expecting from being in WCW in 1998, like 7 years after his last big run. If he only knew that he could have gravy-trained off of Austin in 1998 (he was in WCW at the end of 97)

Booray is an amazingly Southern nickname

Chris Adams and Steve Austin had similar tastes in women

I thought Missy was in this episode only to find out it was Jeannie

DSOTR really expended their "glowing red eyes" budget on this one

• Like 1

While I understand why they didn't include it, it would have been cool if they also mentioned that Chris was pretending to be blind while Gino died and the infamous "two tragedies" comment from Bill Mercer

Also if you need anymore proof about how much control the Von Erichs had over that state,  you have all these World Class guys in a hotel room or rooms filled with hookers, illegal pills, and mounds of cocaine AND THE COPS WERE AT THE FRONT DOOR doing nothing

Not sure why they made a big deal about how much control he had over the Austin feud in 1990.  I mean no shit Austin had maybe 3 months of experience at the time and nobody was taking booking advice from Toni Adams and Jeannie Clark.  It is pretty awkward that most of the horrible things that Jeannie said and did to Toni were at the complete direction of Chris.  No wonder that marriage was rocky

I have no idea who would have been booking USWA Texas that year

but I suspect Chris’ control over the whole thing was mentioned for how it was sorta Kevin Sullivan-esque, except that Jeannie was never married to Chris

in fact, I don’t think they mentioned Jeannie being married to Billy Jack, did they?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Also if you need anymore proof about how much control the Von Erichs had over that state,  you have all these World Class guys in a hotel room or rooms filled with hookers, illegal pills, and mounds of cocaine AND THE COPS WERE AT THE FRONT DOOR doing nothing

That had nothing to do with any type of control the Von Erich’s had, per the Iceman they paid the cops $1,000 each, cops everywhere did and still do things like that.