DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Two of the things that carnies/workers hate are people that believe their own work and folks who haven't paid their dues. Example for #1 would be, say, Hulk Hogan which doesn't matter because if you are working with him you are gonna make money, and that trumps all (carnies). A more negative example of that would be a fellow with a tough guy gimmick who isn't. If he doesn't show deference to a real shooter who may be doing the job for him, the real tough could legit get away with humbling the pushed man. Also, I saw vets convinced that they were the reason they drew those houses for Vince, and not the people they were working who didn't have a drug problem or weren't past their prime or didn't cause problems in the lockerroom. Even in my stunted career, I saw endless examples of the second instance. "I don't break down the ring, I gotta belt (in his backyard fed)" "(My trainer who nobody had heard of) told me I should be main eventing (after my check cleared)". You never try to work a worker, because if you do and the sucker believes it, it is the victim's fault: he is now a mark and has lost face.Wrestling attracts the damaged, and very often the people who may be used to lying to others (and themselves) and getting away with it, but when you take that weak mess to some real workers, it is a whole new world. brother. Kulas did both of those above things. I am not blaming him for what happened, but the scenario was perfectly set up for that shitshow. I understand that carny mentality that justifies it and even sympathize/agree with it still.

Ima bit dizzy from talkin' so much jingo now,

RAF

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Speaking of legit shooters, it's kinda amazing to me that New Jack never did piss off the wrong guy and get beaten to hell and back. I mean, I know Jack is a tough motherfucker, but I also know he flat out doesn't give a fuck. I'm shocked he never went to far with someone that could respond by breaking his arm or choking him out or whatnot.

• Like 2

I don't think there were many of those in the ECW locker room. Taz, for example, was supposed to be the baddest motherfucker on the planet but got put in his place by one punch from RVD. (New Jack on Taz, btw: "Taz is a fuckin' gimmick, he's a teacher!"). Out of that whole locker room I bet if you asked who is really the shooter of the group they would probably point at Jack. Maybe he couldn't take your eye out with one well-placed grab but he could with whatever was in his pocket.

EDIT: Maybe Perry Saturn when he was around would qualify? He was an Army Ranger.

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't think there were many of those in the ECW locker room. Taz, for example, was supposed to be the baddest motherfucker on the planet but got put in his place by one punch from RVD. (New Jack on Taz, btw: "Taz is a fuckin' gimmick, he's a teacher!"). Out of that whole locker room I bet if you asked who is really the shooter of the group they would probably point at Jack. Maybe he couldn't take your eye out with one well-placed grab but he could with whatever was in his pocket.

EDIT: Maybe Perry Saturn when he was around would qualify? He was an Army Ranger.

I'd imagine more than half of the locker room would be considered a shooter as long as a handgun was involved in the definition. Tough, salty guys yes. Not many you'd want to fight with weapons easily accessed. As pure shooters, you'd have Saturn, and even Van Dam who was successful in his younger years doing Toughman contests.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Speaking of legit shooters, it's kinda amazing to me that New Jack never did piss off the wrong guy and get beaten to hell and back. I mean, I know Jack is a tough motherfucker, but I also know he flat out doesn't give a fuck. I'm shocked he never went to far with someone that could respond by breaking his arm or choking him out or whatnot.

I've seen New Jack talk somewhat about this. If you beat him up, you better kill him cause it ain't over. If a guy has a mentality like that, do you really want to get into a long drawn out thing with him? Shit, Scott Hall is fucking 6'6" or 6'7". Do you think he would pull that shit he did with Jerry Saggs on New Jack? Saggs took it easy on him compared to what a dude like New Jack would do to him. It's just easier to just shoot the shit with the guy, be part of the fraternity, and be very mindful of what pisses him off. If you get into a legit altercation with the guy, you know it's not going to end with a simple handshake and hug and y'all laugh the shit off like it's a misunderstanding. I grew in the same neighborhood with dudes like New Jack. It ain't happening, captain.

Speaking of Nasty Boys, here is New Jack telling another funny story about the time he dropped Brian Knobbs like a bad habit and the subsequent appearance on Bubba the Love Sponge.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, if you did shoot on Jack, you certainly wouldn't want to work another show he was on, ever.

It's either going to be your last day in that promotion or one of your last days on Earth. Pick one.

• Like 5

Yeah, if you aren’t willing to do the deed then don’t ever try to mess with a very dangerous man. That goes for outside wrestling too. The closest man that I think would at this point is Brock. I think he’s looking for an excuse to kill a man.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

yeah, the only shooter I can think of who'd be down for the concept of getting into a feud with somebody like New Jack would be somebody like Tank Abbott. A lot of the shooter types wouldn't be down with the concept of getting stabbed by a crazy person.

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, the only shooter I can think of who'd be down for the concept of getting into a feud with somebody like New Jack would be somebody like Tank Abbott. A lot of the shooter types wouldn't be down with the concept of getting stabbed by a crazy person.

I mean the last time I seen Tank, it was on AXS at a LFA show talking about his recent health issues. He came off as an even keeled dude. He might end going drinking with New Jack instead fighting him. 

7 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Conrad interviewed the producers and all involved shot the Meltzer rumor down, for whatever that's worth.

What did they say, if you don't mind paraphrasing? I'm not surprised they shot it down, but I also don't exactly know how you'd go about confirming you have a bias towards someone like Prichard and that's why you didn't involve Meltzer.

If the podcast isn't super long, and doesn't re-tread a lot of territory covered already on Talk Is Jericho (most important part for me), I might give it a listen actually. But I know Conrad's podcast with Bruce was always like 3-4 hours long and I just can't do that, so hopefully this is around 90 minutes to two hours or something.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

What did they say, if you don't mind paraphrasing? I'm not surprised they shot it down, but I also don't exactly know how you'd go about confirming you have a bias towards someone like Prichard and that's why you didn't involve Meltzer.

If the podcast isn't super long, and doesn't re-tread a lot of territory covered already on Talk Is Jericho (most important part for me), I might give it a listen actually. But I know Conrad's podcast with Bruce was always like 3-4 hours long and I just can't do that, so hopefully this is around 90 minutes to two hours or something.

Looks like both episodes are in the feed for JR’s podcast and are under 90 minutes each, minus any Blue Chew ads. I won’t be listening to either (the actual episodes are enough for me), so sorry for not being more helpful. 

9 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Looks like both episodes are in the feed for JR’s podcast and are under 90 minutes each, minus any Blue Chew ads. I won’t be listening to either (the actual episodes are enough for me), so sorry for not being more helpful. 

I listened to the New Jack one shortly after I posted that, and it actually has a few funny stories in there about New Jack, XPW, etc. Tiny the Terrible sounds like an... uh, interesting person, I guess.

Probably about to fire up the Benoit episode while I play something up on my Switch.

Just to clarify, I certainly wasn't saying anyone should've shot on Jack. Just that it feels like he's at least somewhat lucky he never went crazy on someone that could and might have, especially in the heat of the moment. But, I do see the point that he was never in a company with too many legit fighters.

7 hours ago, Casey said:

The producer that did the majority of the talking was asked about the rumor by Conrad. He basically said it's true they're fans of Bruce's podcast, but their resources were finite and they could only interview so many people and didn't need Dave to give historical context to things when they already had the ground covered in other interviews. Conrad chimed in too and said there was no truth to it, though I'm not sure how he'd know. The guy put the Observer over as an invaluable resource for their research and then said he had called Dave to clear the air.

Sounded sincere enough. I didn't really buy the rumor in the first place. Just seemed like the usual someone getting in Dave's ear to stir up shit, and Dave taking everything he hears at face value and reporting it that way.

• Thanks 2

I am watching the New Jack episode now and I will say this, I attended a half dozen shows that he was on in 2004 and he was one of the most accessible guys you could see. New Jack would be on these shows with Cm Punk, Honky Tonk Man, Duggan, Foley, Hero, Joe, and of all of these guys New Jack would be the one that always came over and would chat.  @Gorman can verify this story.  There was a show at CCAC College where New Jack left one of his weapons (think Wolverine claw with blades coming out the fingers) at the venue.   He was a character but I never saw him do anything crazy and he was always extremely nice to me and my crew. 

• Like 7

All the New Jack discussion and this last episode has me wondering if Jack and Necro Butcher ever had a match?

Just that the idea of Jack trying to mess with a legit tough guy got me wondering what Jack vs Samoa Joe might look like, which then got me remembering the Joe vs Necro matches, which was how I started thinking about a Jack/Necro brawl/match.

Didn't New Jack also have a short-lived run in early days of TNA where he had an unlikely friendship with Sharkboy?

My thought on the whole Meltzer/Dark Side thing was that maybe it was Cornette since Cornette seems to have a recurring thing going on the show, and Cornette and Meltzer appear to be on the outs at the moment.

• Like 1