DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/sports/othersports/17wrestling.html

This is all I could find in reference to Benoit having a T.U.E., which I believe the Wellness Policy allowed at the time. It was before the toxicology reports came back. He was also on the Sports Illustrated steroid list, along with Eddie Guerrero.

Also, the documentary didn't get into it, but one book on the Benoit tragedy alleged he was having an affair with Michelle McCool. I say alleged because it's technically not proven, but there's evidence Benoit was trying to get into contact with her, Nancy suspected an affair, other people in the locker room knew about it, and Benoit was discreetly meeting someone for a rendezvous. 

I think it was Hardcore Holly who wrote that Benoit had a separate apartment in Atlanta. Holly said that Benoit would go there to blow off steam after arguing with Nancy but that could be interpreted as him trying to cover for Benoit using that apartment as a place to take other chicks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I think it was Hardcore Holly who wrote that Benoit had a separate apartment in Atlanta. Holly said that Benoit would go there to blow off steam after arguing with Nancy but that could be interpreted as him trying to cover for Benoit using that apartment as a place to take other chicks.

I mean Holly could be covering for the women Benoit was with as well. But it's pretty obvious what Benoit was getting up to. He was already married with children when he got together with Nancy.

Edited by TheVileOne

So apparently Meltzer wasn't interviewed for this episode (not sure if he's in any others for that matter) because one of more powerful producers got most of his wrestling knowledge via Prichard's podcast and, because of that, 100% believes Prichard's characterization of Meltzer as a know-nothing charlatan.  For fuck's sake.  It really dampens my enthusiasm for the entire season to have in the back of my mind the thought that the show is being guided in part by a moron.

• Like 2

Watched this last night.  For some reason I thought I could watch the first 15 minutes and then pick it up later.  Nope.  Was hooked as soon as the Jericho "warning" at the very beginning.  Watched all 45 minutes and they flew by.  Incredible documentary.  Can't wait to watch part 2.  The stuff with Benoit's son - who I'd forgotten existed or never knew existed - was really tough.  It's so obvious that he still loves his dad very much and has a million fond memories.

HIGHLY recommended viewing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Watched this last night.  For some reason I thought I could watch the first 15 minutes and then pick it up later.  Nope.  Was hooked as soon as the Jericho "warning" at the very beginning.  Watched all 45 minutes and they flew by.  Incredible documentary.  Can't wait to watch part 2.  The stuff with Benoit's son - who I'd forgotten existed or never knew existed - was really tough.  It's so obvious that he still loves his dad very much and has a million fond memories.

HIGHLY recommended viewing.

It was hard when he stated that they wanted to be the World Tag Team Champions.

• Sad 3

So the full two-part Benoit show is airing at 8 PM Central tonight, and afterwards there will be a show called After Dark, which I guess will be a Talking Dead-type deal reflecting on the particular topic of the episode. So they're going all-in on this. After Dark doesn't have any guests listed if you are wondering. 

On 3/23/2020 at 7:52 AM, Technico Support said:

So apparently Meltzer wasn't interviewed for this episode (not sure if he's in any others for that matter) because one of more powerful producers got most of his wrestling knowledge via Prichard's podcast and, because of that, 100% believes Prichard's characterization of Meltzer as a know-nothing charlatan.  For fuck's sake.  It really dampens my enthusiasm for the entire season to have in the back of my mind the thought that the show is being guided in part by a moron.

That's a bummer. Meltzer has his issues and misses the mark on his actual analysis sometimes but I hate when guys like Prichard and Bischoff just discount everything he says. I don't get why they don't direct more of their anger at the stooges who are feeding him his info? Even though Cornette is having issues with Meltzer right now, he prefaced one of his recent takes against Meltzer by saying something like, "No matter what I'm about to say about his opinions, newswise Meltzer knows what he's talking about. I don't know why guys like Bruce and Eric have to out and out lie about him not knowing about what's going on in our industry."

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

So the full two-part Benoit show is airing at 8 PM Central tonight, and afterwards there will be a show called After Dark, which I guess will be a Talking Dead-type deal reflecting on the particular topic of the episode. So they're going all-in on this. After Dark doesn't have any guests listed if you are wondering. 

MY DVR Says Tommy Dreamer and Chavo Guerrero with Chris Gethard on After Dark with Gethard as the Host. 

Honestly if I wanted to throw on something that would make me incredibly sad and depressed I'd just go on YouTube and watch the final Hartford Whalers game.

48 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

That's a bummer. Meltzer has his issues and misses the mark on his actual analysis sometimes but I hate when guys like Prichard and Bischoff just discount everything he says. I don't get why they don't direct more of their anger at the stooges who are feeding him his info? Even though Cornette is having issues with Meltzer right now, he prefaced one of his recent takes against Meltzer by saying something like, "No matter what I'm about to say about his opinions, newswise Meltzer knows what he's talking about. I don't know why guys like Bruce and Eric have to out and out lie about him not knowing about what's going on in our industry."

In the case of Eric, I think he would if he knew who they were (besides known stooge Terry Taylor of course). Bischoff qualifies his criticism by saying Meltzer's numbers are usually right on, but then he subsequently undoes all that as the podcast goes on. My issue with Eric is he seems to take the smallest details that Dave may have gotten wrong and jumps on it. IIRC he once got mad about a quote in the Observer Conrad mentioned about Alex Wright (who was set to debut at that time) being British. And Eric goes crazy saying that Alex is German. The thing here is Alex's dad Steve is British and thus making Alex British-German. It snowballs because poor Conrad doesn't correct this fucker from going ape shit over something he is wrong about in regards to a quote.

It's also because Eric is lazy too. According to R.D. Reynolds when he did the Starrcast panel with Bischoff to debate the Death of WCW book, Eric thought Meltzer wrote the book and in addition...he never read the book despite saying for the longest the book was bullshit. He seems to be on autopilot.

Prichard is just a lost cause. 

Edit - Found the quote, went back through the episode, and also the first Observer mentioning Alex Wright signing with WCW.

This is the exact quote from the Observer (3/21/1994)

Alex Wright, the 18-year-old son of scientific legend Steve Wright from England, worked on the WCW tour after so many had gone down with injuries and was said to have been impressive.

Now go to 36:49 of that episode and tell me if any of that warrants the response given by Eric. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

MY DVR Says Tommy Dreamer and Chavo Guerrero with Chris Gethard on After Dark with Gethard as the Host. 

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dish apparently isn't giving away anything then

I got those three plus Ben Kissel on my program info guide.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

All I'm getting is "After Chris Benoit Series/Special (2020) New. (CC)" for this and future showings *shrug*

Dude, I'm just relieved I have Vice and get some sort utility out of having U-Verse.