DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

While Hawaii is probably getting an episode because of Dwayne, it does have enough salacious stories to fit the bill for what Vice has done with Dark Side. The producers said Lars Anderson is on the roundtable, so it's not like they are going to sugar coat it. 

They said they didn't plan on Lawler vs Kaufman being a whole episode until they were doing the show and saw how much.material they had. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the rest of Tennessee isn't on the episode list i'm seeing.

That list is:

• Kaufman vs Lawler next week
  • AWA
  • Stampede
  • Florida
  • JCP
  • Polynesian Pro
  • World Class
  • Mid South

That sucks because Tennessee could be 4 or 5 different episodes.

Man, I can't wait until Mike Graham shows up on the Florida episode....oh wait....nevermind. Man, if you think the World Class episode might be depressing....the Graham (Gossett) family story says hold my beer.

43 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Polynesian Pro is only getting an episode because of who the producer is, and it's inexplicable that Georgia, the most viewed territory of the late 70s/early 80s that these shows are mainly focused on, doesn't have an episode.

If they are going a 5 man roundtable of notable stars from that territory for each show, they are really going to struggle with Portland, Stampede and World Class.

Stampede is just going to be Bret by himself burying people for 45 minutes. I will watch intently.

• Like 1

I wonder if they tried getting the Fullers and didn't want to pay hem enough to do it. I know Ron and Beau have said Robert prob wouldn't do our pod with getting compensation. 

I wonder if one of the problems with Georgia is the lack of pivotal first hand talent being available because of death or illness. Would Ole be able to do it? Being Ole, would he not want to do it with Gerry Brisco? Who else from Georgia would fit the bill the same way you have all the Memphis guys (except Dundee)? 

what would the hypothetical panel for a Georgia episode be? Ole has had MS for like 15 years and is probably not very well

Tommy Rich, Eadie/Masked Superstar, and... yeah.. that's a hard table to fill up

one thing mentioned when Cornette interviewed the Tales/Dark Side honchos is that Kevin Sullivan gets to be in two panels (Florida and Poly Pro), which someone could think is a make-good for Sullivan not being in a certain previous episode. Also I suspect that the show will do a better job micing up Sullivan than all the podcasts where his phone/mic quality isn't good enough when you consider his accent

• Like 1

without knowing how they were in their final years, Wrestling II and The Assassin dying recently really took a bite out of any potential panel. Although would they wear masks if they were on this sort of panel

If Roddy Piper was still alive and in good condition, he would have fit on a panel or two for this sort of show.

As for Kaufman, has Jimmy Hart really ever said much about that in a shoot setting? everybody else has probably went over the topic a few times but Jimmy was also in the picture for a lot of that

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I doubt Ole is going o be on that one.

Are Jake and Ellering the only ones still living from the Georgia version of the Legion of Doom? They could be on it.

Arn. 

I wonder if JR has mended fences with the producers. It will be hard to have the Mid South episode without him, since I doubt they get the Cowboy. 

• Like 2

We know Kevin and Brian Adias are in the Texas episode. That's another one when you ask "who is left?" I wonder if Marc Lowrance would do it. Presumably, no Michael Hayes. 

Has Missy ever been on Dark Side? She'd work for both Texas and Mid South. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Arn. 

I wonder if JR has mended fences with the producers. It will be hard to have the Mid South episode without him, since I doubt they get the Cowboy. 

Forgot that Arn was even a member. I think they also credit Iron Sheik as a member so that would be 4 out of like 9 or 10 people presently still among us.

As for Watts, is it because he chooses not to have anything to do with wrestling? I mean the last thing I saw with him was where he did a live show or maybe a panel with Cornette. That was probably 10+ years ago now.

Brian Last got Watts on 605 to talk about Bruno Sammartino back in 2018.

I think Last also showed Watts a tape of disabled people pro wrestling (which had a much less nice name) and apparently Watts liked that too but I'm guessing he's not going on a podcast to talk about that.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

We know Kevin and Brian Adias are in the Texas episode. That's another one when you ask "who is left?" I wonder if Marc Lowrance would do it. Presumably, no Michael Hayes. 

Has Missy ever been on Dark Side? She'd work for both Texas and Mid South. 

I don't remember her ever being on one, which also begs the question would Eddie Gilbert technically qualify for a Dark Side episode? 

DiBiase would work for a few territory eps except the whole stealing money thing you know.

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Brian Last got Watts on 605 to talk about Bruno Sammartino back in 2018.

I think Last also showed Watts a tape of disabled people pro wrestling (which had a much less nice name) and apparently Watts liked that too but I'm guessing he's not going on a podcast to talk about that.

If he did that unsolicited, that is some weirdo shit to do.

• Like 1

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

If he did that unsolicited, that is some weirdo shit to do.

If I recall the story correctly, it involved some sort of tape party situation where that tape was being watched and Watts ended up watching some of it.

Anyways, I wouldn't blame the Dark Side/Tales producers if they intentionally or accidentally avoided including too many panelists from Legends of Wrestling episodes, which would keep Michael Hayes off the show.

Watts also did Ron Fuller's podcast both (I think) as a Super Stadcast and the regular show to discuss Dusty's babyface turn, since Watts was the booker when it happened. Those were both still when the Studcast was part of AV. But Watts has also known Ron for at least 50 years. 

Watts did that Mid South reunion like 10 years ago. I was set up at that show and did get to briefly talk to him and give him a copy of the Mid South issue of the magazine we did for the convention. I think I emailed him years ago about something and he declined to be part of it, whether it was an interview or a podcast. 

Eddie would certainly warrant a Dark Side episode, depending the tack it took. "The boy who love wrestling  so much it killed him" would be the logical angle. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

the rest of Tennessee isn't on the episode list i'm seeing.

That list is:

• Kaufman vs Lawler next week
  • AWA
  • Stampede
  • Florida
  • JCP
  • Polynesian Pro
  • World Class
  • Mid South

The panels for each are:
Memphis: Jeff Jarrett, Jerry Jarrett, Jerry Lawler, Jimmy Hart, & Dutch Mantell
AWA: Diamond Dallas Page, Jim Brunzell, Ken Patera, Madusa, & Greg Gagne
Stampede: Bret Hart, Abdullah the Butcher, Dr. D David Schultz, & Bobby Bass
Florida: Steve Keirn, Jerry Brisco, Bob Roop, Kevin Sullivan, & Brian Blair
JCP: Arn Anderson, Baby Doll, Ricky Morton, & David Crockett with Nikita Koloff & Jim Cornette
Polynesian Pro: Lars Anderson, Downtown Bruno, Rocky Iaukea, & Kevin Sullivan
World Class: Kevin Von Erich, Brian Adias, David Manning, Jimmy Garvin, & Chavo Guerrero
Mid South: Jim Ross, Ted DiBiase, Michael Hayes, & Jake Roberts

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

"Okay Bruno, we can have you on an episode but not Memphis.. how about Poly Pro?"

also, Hayes being on the Mid-South episode but not World Class is a bit of a curveball. It makes sense since he did a bit in Mid-South/UWF, and he co-holds the Superdome gate record. Anyways, it's not Jimmy Garvin's fault that they called him first.

I'm pretty sure Abby had a speaking interview on Dark Side but it's gonna be fucking weird to have him as a panelist.

• Like 5

guessing that Meng didn't work Poly Pro, or work enough Poly Pro, to get on that panel, which would be worth it for the tribute to "The Conversation" by Hank Jr and Waylon where they ask Meng if all the stories are true about how much ass he kicked over the years

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Watts also did Ron Fuller's podcast both (I think) as a Super Stadcast and the regular show to discuss Dusty's babyface turn, since Watts was the booker when it happened. Those were both still when the Studcast was part of AV.

Watts was also on the Charting the Territories podcast 9-10 months ago during the “Curious Case of Mr. Szabo” episodes.

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

While Hawaii is probably getting an episode because of Dwayne, it does have enough salacious stories to fit the bill for what Vice has done with Dark Side. The producers said Lars Anderson is on the roundtable, so it's not like they are going to sugar coat it. 

They said they didn't plan on Lawler vs Kaufman being a whole episode until they were doing the show and saw how much.material they had. 

Honestly this is one of the most interesting. I love hearing about non WWWF/JCP/Southern territories that have been covered to death