DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Very surprised people are surprised about the episode.  I knew very little about the Flight from Hell except that it was wrestlers behaving badly, and yet, the stories were very much what I expected.  Anyone surprised that Ric Flair doesn't know where to draw the line when he's drunk or thinks no means you really do want to touch my penis either knows nothing about Ric outside the ring or only sees him as they want to see him.   I'd be more surprised if that wasn't an semi-regular occurrence for Ric given that he's partied like a rock star for decades, claims to have slept with over 100,000 women, and generally fronts himself as the self-absorbed, hedonistic, super-virile man's man he plays on tv.

These days, when I watch Ric's character cut promos about how every man wants to be him and every woman wants to be with him, I just assume he's talking about the party last night.

Ric's an infantile narcissist who lives for the spotlight and the afterparty.  I feel like we've known that since.... the early 2000's?  The advent of the internet?  Metlzer's first newsletter? It's interesting that people have been more or less willing to overlook the many, many story or Ric's drunken escapades and his being a terrible absentee father and his being a worse husband and the sketchy financial dealings and the fairly evident drinking problem and everything else that goes hand-in-hand with being a human dumpster fire, but drunkenly exposing himself to stewardess is a bridge too far.  You're kidding yourself if you think Heidi is the first person Ric has traumatized.  Hell, that line probably starts with Charlotte or one of his ex-wives.

That's not to excuse the flight from Hell.  I kinda wish the stewardess had pressed charges or at least made enough noise to get Ric fired.  But, yeah, we should probably be more surprised if Ric sits on a plane drinking for seven hours and doesn't try to sexually assault (or at least coerce) a stewardess.  

Same for Scott Hall.  I'm not at all surprised that the noted substance abuser and alcoholic drank (and maybe drugged) himself into a near catonic state and got inappropriate with a stewardess.  Very short hop from all the stories we heard before to that.  More like a tiny step, really.  I am sort of surprised someone bothered to drag his unconscious ass off the plane and re-enact Weekend at Bernie's with him.

I'll give Dreamer a tiny benefit of the doubt here.  He probably doesn't deserve it, but I hate to jump to conclusions about people I know practically nothing about.   If Dreamer's been involved in these sorts of incidents before, I'm unaware of it.  I mostly assume the producers of DSotR use whatever footage makes the wrestlers look the worst.  Or, at least, whatever will get people talking.  It's basically tabloid tv so assuming its an unbiased accounting is probably naive.  I'd want to talk to Dreamer or at least see the footage they didn't use before getting too outraged and jumping to conclusions.  That said, I'm skeptical Dreamer was misrepresented here or that his comments were taken out of context.  At the very least, dude has been standing in the vicinity of a lot of sketchy goings-on in a couple different locker rooms now, so....

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 6

What Dreamer said was stupid and reprehensible, but I've seen and heard enough stories about him being a nice person that I won't condemn him to hell for it. Let him miss this next set of Impact tapings, go to some sensitivity training and issue a public apology and that should be good enough. 

But the internet being the internet, I'm sure there's already a video of someone burning hin in effigy. 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, AxB said:

So when Dreamer said that Flair could helicopter his dick just by moving his hips, and that reason he could do that was because he had a big one... is it just me who thought "But surely everyone can do that"?

I instantly thought of Randy Marsh and "Cock Magic"  I then thought "Dreamer can't do this" 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AxB said:

E_qgwypWUAM1FHs?format=jpg&name=small

Here’s a quote…

“They took my $500 shoes and $1000 suit and ruined it in the shower because I didn’t go out drinking at a bar the night before because nobody invited me. That’s just materialistic sh*t you can replace that, that doesn’t bother me. What really bothered me is when in Italy the next night they took my French flag – my heritage – they shoved it in a toilet and p*ssed and sh*t all over it. I don’t know what bullsh*t world you live in but in my world that’s called racial discrimination. That was really hurtful.” - Renee Dupree

He knows he’s Canadian, right?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think giving people recreational drugs(especially if they are new to them) is pretty sketchy too. 

There's definably a difference between doing your vice of choice and trying to get someone blacked out to take advantage of them. Unfortunatly too many people seem not to make that distinction 

• Like 1

Crazy to think the majority of the greats were pricks.  

Hogan-racist

Shawn- what didn't Shawn do

Bret-  Had girls in every town while married (I'm sure most did)

Flair- Hellicoptering girls around the world

Taker- Bullying people into shitting and pissing on another guys clothes and flag

Benoit- Murderer

Snuka- Murderer 

We need to look to the rafters for Real Estate Steve to save our great sport. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Crazy to think the majority of the greats were pricks.  

It’s less weird when you think of them as carny transients who also just happened to be on national tv every week, and that someone who could persevere in such a fickle and sordid industry had to be a self-regarding maniac. Honestly, wrestling locker rooms being inherited by a bunch of jacked up video game nerds was for the best. 

• Like 3

To quickly go back to the whole "was Vince on the flight or not" thing

On one of the two weekend radio shows - Meltzer said that he is pretty sure that (as seen by the Kurt Angle posts here) people are conflating multiple flights from Europe which, as Dave says "Shit happened" (He did note that this Flight was the worst one)

When Dave wrote about it in the WON all the way back when it was happening he said multiple people said Vince wasn't on the flight (as Meltzer said, this was when their memories were fresh) and as Dave put it "I would trust what I wrote then as opposed to people's 20 year old memories"

He also said multiple people contacted him since the doc came out to say they were "pretty sure Vince wasn't on the flight"

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Here’s a quote…

He knows he’s Canadian, right?

If someone had stolen Little Guido's Italian Flag and pissed and shit on it, that would have been just fine?

If someone had stolen a Mexican flag off Eddy or Rey and pissed and shit on it, that would have been just fine?

If someone had messed with Fit Finlay's Irish Flag... ok, nobody would be that stupid, never mind.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

They were only a few years removed from Shawn sticking the Canadian flag up his nose and humping it. This was also presumably during the time of Freedom Fries and all of that dipshit animosity. It feels like a tactic they’d  use on the young guys to see how’d they react, and if they got upset at being violated then they’re the ones with the attitude problem and get heat. 

• Like 1

Tommy Dreamer seemed to eager to talk and not at all cognizant of how the footage was going t make him look.  I'm wondering how savvy he is dealing with media.  He's been involved with creative in a couple different companies, i think, so I'd hope he was a little savvy, but, then again, maybe not.  He seemed like he needed someone to look our for his interests and pull him aside to remind him "those guys are not your friends."

Honestly, i wouldn't mind if people stopped cooperating with DSotR.  I feel like they've leaned hard into the tabloid trash aspect of the show.  Didn't feel like the first two seasons were as lurd/exploitative