DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

I found his 30 for 30 interesting because they allow him to tell some of the public nudity stories like they’re hilarious anecdotes, but the animated re-enactments make it seem pathetic and sad.

Ric’s responsible for his own dumbass decisions, but it’s troubling how much Richard Fliehr was enabled and encouraged by an entire industry of people that needed him to be Ric Flair in real life. It wasn’t just promoters protecting an asset.  He was a sexually aggressive problem drinker being egged on by younger wrestlers who treated partying with him like getting a Ribera jacket. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I doubt there's gonna be any major repercussions to anyone over this doc, to be honest. All of this was public knowledge and long lampooned in both books and WWE sponsored media for years. WWE definitely won't care. Would Impact fire Dreamer? I doubt it. AEW seems to be a little more sensitive to Twitter outrage but they also used Mike Tyson ya know so who can say. 

Not defending any of the comments but I do wonder if these guys were aware how traumatized the flight attendants were? If they were just being asked about some crazy plane trip  and decided to shoot the shit about the boys being the boys and didn't realize how fucked it sounds to people on the outside of the industry then it gives some context to their attitude. Of course, it shows how toxic and poisonous the wrestling industry is but the hundreds of dead people also showed us that a long time ago. 

• Like 5

I think Flair is the only one who is going to face some issues over this. Tommy has said a whole bunch of dumb things over the years and is all CTE'd out so what he said isn't surprising or anything. 

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Not defending any of the comments but I do wonder if these guys were aware how traumatized the flight attendants were? If they were just being asked about some crazy plane trip  and decided to shoot the shit about the boys being the boys and didn't realize how fucked it sounds to people on the outside of the industry then it gives some context to their attitude. Of course, it shows how toxic and poisonous the wrestling industry is but the hundreds of dead people also showed us that a long time ago. 

I think you can kind of see RVD as the interview happens realizing pretty clearly 'oh this is actually too fucked for real life' and not changing how he spoke but giving that context, Dreamer was abysmal and you would almos think 'didn't he have anyone to tell him to shut up?'

• Like 4

Just now, Craig H said:

I think Flair is the only one who is going to face some issues over this. Tommy has said a whole bunch of dumb things over the years and is all CTE'd out so what he said isn't surprising or anything. 

Let's think of consequences.

I haven't heard anything about House of Hardcore since COVID started. I think my main hearing about Tommy before that was on the E+C podcast. Is it even running? Is it on IWTV? I could see them dumping that relationship over this for instance.

He might lose his Impact! gig?

He might get less indy bookings.

He might be seen as less of a mentor figure on the indies, especially with females.

Do we really think this would negatively impact him getting into the WWE HOF for instance? I can think of what, two times in the last 30 years where outrage caused them to change direction (Hassan and Taker - Moolah Battle Royal). I could see them giving him a backstage job out of spite.

I'm not saying Tommy is bulletproof, just that his irons in the fire aren't burning too bright.

13 minutes ago, Freudian_Slap said:

I think you can kind of see RVD as the interview happens realizing pretty clearly 'oh this is actually too fucked for real life' and not changing how he spoke but giving that context, Dreamer was abysmal and you would almos think 'didn't he have anyone to tell him to shut up?'

RVD talking about slipping stuff in peoples' drinks and basically suggesting it lead to rape definitely came off as him realizing and admitting something that was status quo among the boys was actually fucked up and wrong. Flair always came off as unrepentant because he was probably used to never being told no and always getting his way (or being too out of it to realize he couldn't always do that). Terri's comments about being told to "just no sell it" were really disheartening and made you think about all the inappropriate behavior that just had to be shrugged off by a lot of people. I actually thought JR came off as a bit of a yes man who most likely knew what was going on but tried to cover his ass and claim ignorance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Terri's comments about being told to "just no sell it" were really disheartening and made you think about all the inappropriate behavior that just had to be shrugged off by a lot of people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

I was almost going to give Tommy a pass but that "well she shouldn't have taken a payout" line really was the nail in his coffin

I hate that argument.  Just ask the Michael Jackson accusers or Martha Hart.  It sucks and it doesn't bring justice, but eventually, you realize that the money is all you're going to get.  For fuck's sake, Heidi Doyle herself said as much right on the show.

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You gotta take in mind Terri had just divorced Dustin, they were on the same flight, and Dustin was hammered. If they DIDN'T keep her up front then they'd be pretty much criminally negligent. She said Paul E. was up there and he probably saw to it if they didn't. 

Just to agree, boy did Tommy put his foot in his mouth. The flight attendant said some pretty poignant things more than once thus making him look even more tone-deaf.

EDIT: Bucks being in the Kanyon episode is weird, I wonder what their connection to him is. And hey, we got Father James!

As @Casey mentioned, the Bucks and Kanyon were close when the Bucks were just starting out.  Kanyon actually worked some of their backyard shows.

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Jesus, Jazz AND Jackie were on the flight and didn't shut down any of this or even speak on it. Wrestlers are weird. 

EDIT: MOLLY HOLLY, NICEST PERSON IN THE WORLD was on the flight and didn't do anything? How many drinks did Hennig spike?

There's definitely some weird moral relativism going on in wrestling.  Christ, even Terri said something like, "if I went to court every time I was harassed, I'd be in court my whole life."  After all that shit, she was essentially agreeing with the "boys will be boys" crowd.  Jesus. 

"I wouldn't say he was trying to rape somebody."  Dreamer is a fucking idiot.  Ric Flair forced a woman to touch his dick.  That is sexual assault.  Full stop.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

PWInsider is reporting that Dreamer has been indefinitely suspended from Impact.

Summary via WON

UPDATE: Impact Wrestling has suspended Tommy Dreamer as a result of comments made on the Dark Side of the Ring episode that aired on Thursday evening. John Pollock of Post Wrestling obtained the following statement from the company: "We are aware of Mr Laughlin’s (Tommy Dreamer) comments on “Dark Side of the Ring”. The views expressed by him in the interview are completely unacceptable. We can confirm Mr Laughlin was suspended this morning with immediate effect, pending further action".

Tommy Dreamer will not be at this weekend's set of Impact Wrestling TV tapings in Nashville, Tennessee, and his future on SiriusXM's Busted Open Radio is also in question following controversial comments on the latest Dark Side of the Ring episode.

The Impact news was first reported by Fightful who said that staff was informed of his absence during a production meeting Friday. The company has three days of taping planned starting today and Dreamer is part of the creative team, occasionally still working matches.

I also did I quick scan so I apologize if this is repeated but also from WON

On Friday's Busted Open Radio where Dreamer is an occasional co-host, host Dave LaGreca said they are taking the situation "very seriously" and don't condone any of the behavior displayed on the show. They didn't go into detail about when and if Dreamer will be back, but only that they are taking the situation seriously and "what will happen, will happen."

The same Busted Open that has Bully Ray on it.   Yeah I am sure they are really upset about this ?

I am sure that Vince Russo is more than willing with his new wrestling podcast gimmick to put Dreamer on there constantly

Edited by hammerva

Mike Chioda in all of his interviews since leaving WWE comes across as having fond memories of "the old times." Always talking about how amazing the partying was and all that. Kinda gross.

Feels like a lot is missing from the story.

Also, never pictured the plane to look like they described it. That is a wild service.

Fuck Dreamer.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I'm glad that @John from Cincinnatiand @Valcourtbrought up Mike Chioda, because he's getting lost in all this discussion about Dreamer. Chioda just sitting there and giggling about some of the utterly loathsome things that happened and shrugging it off is utterly despicable. I think the reason people are piling so much on Dreamer is because he actually has a job and Chioda's on the sidelines, but wow, do I hope to never see Chioda's middle age frat boy piece of shit face again after seeing that.

Ya Chioda just came across and a guy who didn’t wanna grow up. Flair (in my opinion) has always been one of the biggest pieces of shit in the business so none of this really surprises me.

Dreamers comments were a surprise to me but I guess I never cared too much about him to listen to him before.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There's definitely some weird moral relativism going on in wrestling.  Christ, even Terri said something like, "if I went to court every time I was harassed, I'd be in court my whole life."  After all that shit, she was essentially agreeing with the "boys will be boys" crowd.  Jesus. 

I can't blame Terri for this.  If every woman goes to court for every time some dude harrasses them, our entire justice system would collapse because we don't have enough lawyers, judges, courtrooms, etc.  Seriously, I'm not a woman, but I have enough close female friends to know that this shit happens to almost all of them fairly regularly.  It's like racism.  I'm not saying every time someone claims racism, that it is credible, but as a black person I know that I don't have nearly enough free time to file some sort of complaint every time it comes up.  

I have no idea how or why anyone on earth would think that a 50+ year old man trying to force a woman to touch his spinning penis is funny, especially after you sober up and have time to think about it for more than .1 second.  Tommy Dreamer thinking it's all OK roughly 20 years later is fucking infuriating.  

You know the craziest part of this entire thing is to me?  The fact that not only was their boss on the plane, but the boss' wife was on the plane, and they did all this bullshit any way.  Can you imagine whipping your dick out on a plane with your boss?  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2