DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

I'm one of the people who, despite not agreeing with his way of phrasing things, agrees with a lot of the things Cornette says regarding wrestling. I also think CZW is for the most part awful, and I thought that before I ever heard any Cornette podcast. I would also say that people comparing Gage to Ron Wright underestimate Ron Wright's relevance and maybe a lot of his qualities. 

That being said, I definitely think that the story that there is to tell about Nick Gage totally warrants a Dark Side of the Ring episode and probably will be one of the less depressing and more "WHAT THE F" things. New Jack Episode was absolutely insane and a surprise hit with me. 

• Like 1

My personal line with deathmatch wrestling is when the guys in the match are "deathmatch workers" and nothing else.  As opposed to seeing talented people who I know can work a normal match competing in a garbage match.  See the IWTV thread for my hate/hate relationship with Matthew Justice and how his untalented ass makes any card worse, people he wrestles need to dumb down their matches to suit him, etc., no need to rehash it here.  When I never see you in anything but deathmatches and it's obvious your only talent is hitting people with shit, getting hit with shit, and taking dumb bumps off and through all manner of things, that's not even pro wrestling to me.  But YMMV, enjoy what you like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a long time deathmatch fan, ECW sent me down a tape trading rabbit hole that took me years to extract myself from.  There are deathmatch workers I genuinely loved, Necro Butcher, Toby Klein, Jun Kasai, JC Bailey, Danny Havoc, Nick Gage, Zandig and then there is a whole bunch that I thought completely sucked (mostly IWA:Deep South and XPW guys).

All the guys I liked had some semblance of a character rather than just “fat guy in denim shorts and a singlet slicing people up” which seemed par for the course in the early 2000’s or “skinny meth-head in a boiler suit messing around with box cutters” which seemed to arrive in the late 2000’s.

Pre-prison Gage was always more than decent in regular matches and always great in wild brawls. Funnily enough I never thought his deathmatch tournament stuff stacked up against regular matches.  He never seemed as comfortable rolling around in glass and barbed wire as much as say Zandig or Ian Rotten would. I always felt he probably never truly enjoyed participating in deathmatches as much as his peers.  He’d probably never admit it. In fact probably for the best no one eve shows him this post.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

My personal line with deathmatch wrestling is when the guys in the match are "deathmatch workers" and nothing else.  As opposed to seeing talented people who I know can work a normal match competing in a garbage match.  See the IWTV thread for my hate/hate relationship with Matthew Justice and how his untalented ass makes any card worse, people he wrestles need to dumb down their matches to suit him, etc., no need to rehash it here.  When I never see you in anything but deathmatches and it's obvious your only talent is hitting people with shit, getting hit with shit, and taking dumb bumps off and through all manner of things, that's not even pro wrestling to me.  But YMMV, enjoy what you like.

I haven't watched anything with Justice in years(maybe clusterfuck matches, I guess, but nothing where he's the spotlight) but in 2011 he was on a show in my hometown (the first show since the Bobo Brazil era) and wrestled a stiff match that wouldn't have looked out of place in 2000s NOAH. It's sad that he isn't using that skill set more.

4 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I’m a long time deathmatch fan, ECW sent me down a tape trading rabbit hole that took me years to extract myself from.  There are deathmatch workers I genuinely loved, Necro Butcher, Toby Klein, Jun Kasai, JC Bailey, Danny Havoc, Nick Gage, Zandig and then there is a whole bunch that I thought completely sucked (mostly IWA:Deep South and XPW guys).

All the guys I liked had some semblance of a character rather than just “fat guy in denim shorts and a singlet slicing people up” which seemed par for the course in the early 2000’s or “skinny meth-head in a boiler suit messing around with box cutters” which seemed to arrive in the late 2000’s.

Pre-prison Gage was always more than decent in regular matches and always great in wild brawls. Funnily enough I never thought his deathmatch tournament stuff stacked up against regular matches.  He never seemed as comfortable rolling around in glass and barbed wire as much as say Zandig or Ian Rotten would. I always felt he probably never truly enjoyed participating in deathmatches as much as his peers.  He’d probably never admit it. In fact probably for the best no one eve shows him this post.

My tastes for deathmatches are pretty in-line with yours. Mr. Insanity was always a ton of fun. I honestly think that the heavy reliance on tournaments is a big mark against the deathmatch scene. Yeah, it led to crazy highlights but eventually nothing was special anymore. Needing more and more workers led to more and more untrained guys rolling in barbed wire. There's some guys on the scene who take the style and run with it, like Alex Colon. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Just dawned on me: If Nick robbed the bank today he'd be wearing a mask and in theory have gotten away with it.

Moxley mentioning that he always came to the ring with a mask or handchief and he doesn't even think about at the time.

By the way I completely agree with Mox in his assessment that Vince would kill to have someone who has the relationship Gage and his fans do.  I mean who is close to that now in WWE?   maybe Bryan?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Moxley mentioning that he always came to the ring with a mask or handchief and he doesn't even think about at the time.

By the way I completely agree with Mox in his assessment that Vince would kill to have someone who has the relationship Gage and his fans do.  I mean who is close to that now in WWE?   maybe Bryan?

Unless Tony Kahn is an idiot he has to bring in Gage as a surprise partner for Mox and Kingston right? The place would go f'n bananas!

• Like 2

Allegedly he was supposed to be a surprise guest on a show last year, only he broke his ankle and was out for months. Perhaps he'll be a surprise entrant in the Battle Royal.

WE GOT SCORP! Fuck yeah. That's gonna be a fun one. 

Nick came off as a sweet, kinda simple but intense guy who's been through a lot of shit. He's real lucky for his SO to stick around him for 20+. The Walt Whitman being in his backyard... oooof. I'd move. 

EDIT: The funniest part past Mox's line about the handkerchief was Gage, fan of the Whopper, getting taken to Frank and Musso's haha

Edited by Curt McGirt

Jim Cornette has told the same story about John Matuszak getting tossed through a bar window (by a tuff tough guy wrassler that was obligated to whoop a sawft ex-football player's drunk mouthing off ass) attributing it to both Harley Race and Dick Slater. Talk about exposing the goddamn business.

Cornette's mad-on towards deathmatch wrestling is 90% due to Ian Rotten causing places not to allow wrestling and getting bad press in his territory.

• Like 6

Just watched the Nick Gage ep, crazy how many guys in the clips are either dead or on national TV. I think Nicky is the only one still wrestling on the indies.   I’m glad he seems to be in a good place now but having grown up around and had issues myself I know how easy it is to slip.  Lauderdale hit the nail on the head, he might be doing well today but he’s got to want to fight for that every day of his life.

• Like 1

The Gage doc just came on again and man, Effy has to have balls the size of Gibraltar to be wearing nothing but boots, trunks, and fishnets in a deathmatch. 

EDIT: Does anyone have a general idea which issue the DVDVR Tournament of Death review is in? I know somebody did one of them.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Gage doc just came on again and man, Effy has to have balls the size of Gibraltar to be wearing nothing but boots, trunks, and fishnets in a deathmatch. 

I heard a Podcast interview with Effy during the great shutdown, and he said he was missing having Deathmatches so much that when he went to the Hardware store with his boyfriend, he was really tempted to buy some light tubes just so they could be smashed over him. And yet, the Gage one was the first one he ever did.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:09 AM, hammerva said:

• Like 3

HBK's documentary was fascinating and didn't pull a lot of punches about his drug abuse and backstage behavior.  Some surprisingly blunt comments by Bret, Undertaker, Trips, etc.  

I did roll my eyes when Michaels' wife suggested God performed a miracle and healed Shawn's back after he reconciled with Triple H.  I still think the "miracle" was WCW went under and Vince was probably going to stop paying HBK to keep him away from WCW.  Still, finding religion was probably what saved Michaels' life.

I wasn't prepared for how much 2021 Shawn Michaels resembles 2021 Triple H.  If they reunite DX for a WrestleMania payday, it will be a missed opportunity if they don't pull the "twin confusion" spot.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 2