DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

25 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I clearly remember the rumor about Ultimate Warrior dying and being replaced with a new guy in the early 1990s, when it was just a matter of him having cycled off the juice and looking less jacked.

You are forgetting the best part of this one

Some people said that he died because his tassels where too tight and it cut off blood flow to his brain

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

You are forgetting the best part of this one

Some people said that he died because his tassels where too tight and it cut off blood flow to his brain

He definitely looked like he was about to explode around 1991-ish. 

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I wanna say folks were saying it was Steve DiSalvo who replaced him but I could also totally be making that up

YES!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I knew I hadn't misremembered the whole Pillman faked his death thing. I mean, shit, wasn't he one of the names mentioned (along with Jake Roberts, DiBiase, Flair and literally everyone else apart from Vince McMahon) that people thought was the Higher Power during that whole shit show or am I completely making that up?

Nope, I remember hearing that rumor.  And, yeah, that seems positively sane compared to guys in the locker room believing Pillman was going to get plastic surgery and return to tv as evil Shawn Michaels (I mean, the real Shawn Michaels was fairly evil irl at the time, so....) or Dustin Rhodes allegedly wanting to get breast implants to take the Goldust character to the next level.

• Like 1

Have to say that listening to Twitter complain about even the concept of doing a show on Nick Gage is creepy.  Basically it is the following excuses:

1.  Never worked a national promotion so he isn't relevant

2.  Does death matches so isn't really a "wrestler" .  Which is funny since they had no issue with New Jack using this argument.

Most of them sound like they tag Cornette as much as humanly possible.  hence the excessive use of "mud shows" 

Nobody thinks that this show is going to better than Pillman or Benoit or Brody shows but this will be far from boring

• Like 1

Mudshow Sean is a great ring name. And Bank Addicted Drug Robber would be a great gimmick, thinking about it.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guy with a thin blue line flag in his profile pic can't spell.  Who would have guessed? 

Given the political beliefs Cornette claims he has, it's delicious that his awful rhetoric has brought him this kind of audience.

Nick Gage is a cool redemption story. Fuck anybody who doesn't want to see it.  People who classify him as just a garbage wrestler are disingenuous Cornette bootlickers who are just seeking out YouTube clips to back their dumb beliefs.  I recently started watching Uncharted Territory from the beginning.  So far I've seen several Gage matches and not one has featured a single light tube or whatever.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

Is he addicted to banks and he robs drugs?  

Anyway, I'm not a big deathmatch guy, but I'm really looking forward to the Gage episode.  He's an interesting character.  A lot of these deathmatch guys are.  I'm weirdly fascinated by them.  It's like they're folk heroes in a way.  There are a lot of wrestling fans who won't take them seriously, but the one's who do LOVE them.  People like to complain about them destroying their bodies or whatever, but let's face it, a guy like Gage would most likely be going from job to job, would maybe still be an addict and in jail (or worse, dead) if he didn't have wrestling as an outlet.  It may not be the "big time", but he's over as fuck everywhere he goes.  More power to him and all of the other deathmatch "freaks".  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

2.  Does death matches so isn't really a "wrestler" .  Which is funny since they had no issue with New Jack using this argument.

New Jack wrestled with Incredible Hulk hands on and based his gimmick on El Kabong ?

9 minutes ago, Log said:

Anyway, I'm not a big deathmatch guy, but I'm really looking forward to the Gage episode.  He's an interesting character.  A lot of these deathmatch guys are.  I'm weirdly fascinated by them.  It's like they're folk heroes in a way.  There are a lot of wrestling fans who won't take them seriously, but the one's who do LOVE them.  People like to complain about them destroying their bodies or whatever, but let's face it, a guy like Gage would most likely be going from job to job, would maybe still be an addict and in jail (or worse, dead) if he didn't have wrestling as an outlet.  It may not be the "big time", but he's over as fuck everywhere he goes.  More power to him and all of the other deathmatch "freaks".  

I'm right there with you. I've never been into deathmatches, but it fascinates me why they would do that to themselves.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Log said:

I think this line right here really defines the appeal of deathmatch wrestlers for me. From the first time I saw Onita crying into a mic, I knew he was something special, even if I didn't know what he was saying. Necro Butcher attracted almost mythic levels of hype from people at indie shows. Hell, even Ian has his backers. The "Everyman" aspect of these guys is the draw (and part of the reason some, like Cornette, are turned off because they dispell the "larger than life" aspect of wrestling) which is really evident with Gage and Jimmy Lloyd. Normal guys who get pushed to do abnormal things. 

• Like 4

JIM CORNETTE: "Deathmatch wrestling is a just a chicken-head biting freakshow...outlaw mudshow bullshit!"

ALSO JIM CORNETTE: "Boy, wasn't it great when Ron Wright used to bust people open hardway with his Chisel!"

FYI, Ron Wright's "chisel" was a homemade knuckle duster with a razor affixed to it that Wright would use to gig his opponents hardway, which honestly sounds even more ghoulish than just busting them open with an actual chisel.

Nevermind also that a lot of the guys he grew up watching in Tennessee were beer-bellied factory workers and truck drivers by day and were high on trucker pills half the time when they were making towns, but it's today's deathmatch wrestlers that are "the freak show".

-Signed, a guy that loves deathmatch wrestling AND the Tennessee bullshit.

• Like 5

While certainly hypocritical, it is interesting to listen to him explain the rationalization and internal logic in differentiating between the two. 

using things that “normally” be at ringside are okay, like chairs, the ring bell, etc. things outside the diegesis, like thumb tacks, are not. Some foreign objects are okay, some are not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Did he mean to write "mud show shit?" I thought Mud Show Sean was an actual person for a second.

I believe he meant to say "Mud Show scene" but he is a weapons grade idiot.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

While certainly hypocritical, it is interesting to listen to him explain the rationalization and internal logic in differentiating between the two. 

using things that “normally” be at ringside are okay, like chairs, the ring bell, etc. things outside the diegesis, like thumb tacks, are not. Some foreign objects are okay, some are not. 

Kevin Sullivan in Smoky Mountain, brought a Spike down to the ring and carved up W*Ing Kanemura.

In other news, Jim Cornette booked noted Deathmatch wrestler W*ing Kanemura.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Jim Cornette wrestled a guy dressed as a Ninja Turtle. He can fuck off.

He also carried a tennis racquet around, despite the fact that I've never seen him play. What a phony.

• Haha 2

Have you ever bit hit by a Tennis racket? It doesn't hurt much. If you tried to KO someone by hitting them with a tennis racket, you'd break the racket (and make them angry).

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Have you ever bit hit by a Tennis racket? It doesn't hurt much. If you tried to KO someone by hitting them with a tennis racket, you'd break the racket (and make them angry).

You can't be serious!?

• Haha 1