DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

The story that a bunch of wrestlers thought Pillman was having plastic surgery to look like Shawn Michaels in order to come to WWF as his evil doppelganger is just another reason to remember that a lot of wrestlers are not the brightest bulbs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I remember when Pillman died, there was a rumor making the rounds that he had faked his death and would come back at some point. I guess Pillman, Tupac and Elvis are all just waiting for the right moment. 

I was at Bad Blood. They never announced anything to the live crowd. After the show, we were like, “wasn’t there supposed to be a Pullman/Golddust match?” and didn’t really think too much about it. I don’t think I found out until the next day. 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just because it was specifically referenced earlier in the thread

Here is the Zandig discussion from Renee's podcast

"How does John Zandig find the time to write and book an entire CZW show every month?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just watched part two and that was a roller coaster of emotions ranging from sadness to anger to brief laughter to hope at the end.  Random thoughts:

-I still don't like Melanie one bit but while it may be partly a cover for the show there did seem to be some remorse.

-Thank goodness for Linda though who I thought really highly of reading the book and even moreso here.

-I warned my wife in advance about the Melanie interview on Raw but we still couldn't help but be really pissed off.  I'm not gonna go off on Vince (again) but that was some fucked up shit he pulled to say the least.

-Brian Jr. has said some dumb shit on Twitter that I hope he's reversed course on.  But considering the fucked up childhood him and his siblings had it's a minor miracle they all came out of it fine.  I credit Linda a lot with taking control but they all seem to have a good head on their shoulders.  And I'm not a dad (yet) but Brian Jr's line about being a dad was some heavy, heavy stuff.  Really hope for the best for all of them.

So that was a heavy story with some hope at the end.  I know the Gage one is coming up which should be pretty wild.  But I dread the Grizzly and Dynamite episodes as that's going to be incredibly fucked up.

• Like 1

While I am not generally a fan of them in the actual episodes - I do always get interested in who the get to play the wrestlers in the re-enactments

For the Pillman one - Channing Decker is playing Brian Pillman.

I guess he is mostly a Canadian indy guy though he has gotten a couple of matches with Impact and ROH

• Like 1

Along those lines, Jake Something played Brody in that ep.

I love the minimalist set design in the reenactments.  Just like one piece of furniture indicative of the place where they are, and a bunch of colored smoke, like something out of a dream.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I remember when Pillman died, there was a rumor making the rounds that he had faked his death and would come back at some point. I guess Pillman, Tupac and Elvis are all just waiting for the right moment. 

I mean if Andy Kaufman is still waiting then they should just take their time. 

• Like 3

I just finished the first ep of Pillman, and I know that they're not going to bury the dead (I know, I know), but Pillman got off quite easily for fucking with Rochelle - it was all about how shit Melanie was, and obviously, yeah, she was shit, but it's not like she was pulling puppet strings and Brian was just too darn willing to go along with it. 

Though of course, I get why Rochelle's child would focus her fury on Melanie and not her dad. 

Really, I just have a lower opinion of Pillman than I did before at this point and I feel bad for Rochelle's child. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

While I am not generally a fan of them in the actual episodes - I do always get interested in who the get to play the wrestlers in the re-enactments

For the Pillman one - Channing Decker is playing Brian Pillman.

I guess he is mostly a Canadian indy guy though he has gotten a couple of matches with Impact and ROH

I’m a little surprised that they didn’t have Brian Jr play his dad, weird as that would be.

• Like 1

I dunno, a heart attack might make one chill out a bit. He's probably busy with his Shoney's. 

We know they'll have Bischoff and Scott Norton. I'd like them to have Flair. Most of all though, they need Scorpio; if you've ever seen his shoot about it then you know why.

• Like 1

I hope we get Scorp on that episode.

It's a bummer that both Road Warriors are passed because having one of them on that episode would be great, too. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I just finished the first ep of Pillman, and I know that they're not going to bury the dead (I know, I know), but Pillman got off quite easily for fucking with Rochelle - it was all about how shit Melanie was, and obviously, yeah, she was shit, but it's not like she was pulling puppet strings and Brian was just too darn willing to go along with it. 

Though of course, I get why Rochelle's child would focus her fury on Melanie and not her dad. 

Really, I just have a lower opinion of Pillman than I did before at this point and I feel bad for Rochelle's child. 

Yes Pillman definitely got off easy considering he had a voluntary role in that whole incident with Rochelle. Plus, the way the show presents that incident, it was Brian Pillman's own idea to take custody of his and Rochelle's daughter.

I can respect that Pillman was not a total deadbeat dad and did try to have a presence in the lives of his illegitimate children. However, he's trying to improve his family's financial situation, and he blows a ton of money on a freaking humvee, which he promptly wrecks after falling into a muscle relaxer-induced sleep. And muscle relaxers are the only thing Melanie Pillman copped to him taking at the time. Who knows what else he could've been using recreationally.

• Like 1

I knew I hadn't misremembered the whole Pillman faked his death thing. I mean, shit, wasn't he one of the names mentioned (along with Jake Roberts, DiBiase, Flair and literally everyone else apart from Vince McMahon) that people thought was the Higher Power during that whole shit show or am I completely making that up?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I knew I hadn't misremembered the whole Pillman faked his death thing. I mean, shit, wasn't he one of the names mentioned (along with Jake Roberts, DiBiase, Flair and literally everyone else apart from Vince McMahon) that people thought was the Higher Power during that whole shit show or am I completely making that up?

The latter I don't recall, but it's not even the kookiest conspiracy theory the wrestling sphere has come up with. 

I clearly remember the rumor about Ultimate Warrior dying and being replaced with a new guy in the early 1990s, when it was just a matter of him having cycled off the juice and looking less jacked.

Even nowadays, certain sections of fandom will automatically believe the kookiest of garbage that came from 4chan or Reddit or what have you. And you know, wrestling is definitely a kooky industry where weird crap does happen behind the scenes, but not all that kooky stuff that comes out of the aether is real.

Edited by TheVileOne

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

On IRC or Usenet when the higher power thing started, I remember saying it would be Pillman and they faked his death to make it the ultimate surprise. Now, granted, I was probably 16 or 15 at the time. 

Still, if that happened, it would be the greatest angle ever.