DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The guide said it was Part 1 but it was both in one airing. That's nice. 

...and then of course the second part was way worse than the first. 

Hide contents

Stepdad trained his dogs to imprison and attack a child. I cannot believe that shit. Melanie deserves to look like she got hit by a truck after spending half a decade shooting meth (not saying that she did, just that she looks like it). As far as the interview goes, the detail of the answer gave to Vince's supposedly random question makes me think they both sat down and rehearsed everything despite her words to the contrary. What a vile pair of human beings.

I'm real happy that Brian Jr. is happy because coming out of that would destroy anyone.

The thing I always note on these things is how Corny comes off as an actual decent human being (and it's very clear he isn't working) like when he's going to break down reliving him learning about Pillman being found dead.

• Like 4

I only saw part one on Youtube but signed up to Sling for a month since it has Vice.  For one Sling's Android TV app fucking sucks and I'm not sure how likely I'll stick with it.  But for $10 this month I'll see what I can before going the Youtube route.

As for what I saw Melanie comes off as a detestable human being that took way too long to try and make peace, especially for what she said that caused the suicide.  Don't blame his daughter for not wanting anything to do with her.  As for Pillman Jr I know he's said some dumb shit online but while nothing excuses that if that's the worst thing he does then good for him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Zandig and his house:

Hide contents

A.M.MO, The Lowest of the Low. on Twitter: "John Zandig is ALL IN… "

All I can say about that is JEEZUS!  Honestly though, I guess after working for con men all his life, Zandig was obviously most comfortable pledging fealty to one after his career was over.

I'm about a half hour into the Pillman one so far and god damn it's pretty rough.  Like hey man, +50 points for taking care of all those kids, -1000 for not just stepping out on your wife, but actually getting mistresses pregnant not once but twice.  Holy fuck.  And minus a million for teaming up with your new girl to torment your already troubled ex into suicide.  It'll be fun, in the loosest sense of that word, to look at this season of DSotR and the Macho Man doc and rank who comes off the worst.

I loved Melanie Pillman when she played Wendy on Breaking Bad.

I want Meltzer's biceps when I'm 60.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I just watched Part 2 of the Pillman story and it reminded me of how uncomfortable Melanie's interview on Raw was. I remember changing the channel of the second hand discomfort I got from it. She says she wasn't pressured into doing it, but this episode has shown she's not exactly a reliable narrator.

• Like 2

Watched both parts of the Brian Pillman Dark Side of the Ring documentary. I didn't know anything about Rochelle and taking her own life, so sad. I wanted to hug Brian Jr, Dani and Brittany. Couldn't believe what Melanie looks like now and how awful she came across. Vince McMahon interviewing Melanie the day after Brian died on RAW is still deplorable and one of the worst things Vince has ever done with so much to choose from. Kim Wood! Linda Pillman is a saint. With how dark the documentary is, needed that brief break with Brian Jr off camera reacting to seeing a spider and Linda chuckling from said reaction.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, The Great ML said:

My heart hurts for Brian Jr. I want that kid to succeed at life.

Same here. I met him at a DEFY show where he was gonna face Liger, and he was a super nice dude. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

He wrestled Liger in Defy?

6 man. Pillman Jr and a couple local guys vs Liger and a couple NJPW USA young lions

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 4:18 AM, hammerva said:

I hope forgot how sleazy the Melaine Pillman interview after Brian's death was.  Almost 25 years later and just as nauseating to watch. That is going to exhibit A when judgement day comes for Vince.  

The trailer for next week's with Nick Gage sure did look good.  Even has the footage of him after the TOD finals that he technically died from

Vince comes off as the ultimate scumbag asking the drugs question. Did Austin go to the funeral? I’m sure he did but the way Brian’s sister said not many wrestlers turned up had me wondering. 

• Like 1

That was tough to watch. Also, not excusing Melanie Pillman, but Brian Pillman himself was not blameless in that whole situation. Not to mention being left as the mother and sole provider after her husband died and also taking care of his other kids he had out of wedlock. I'm sorry, but both Pillman and Melanie came off like bad guys in that situation. 

I don't know much about Kim Woods, but I did just hear him on Wrestling Observer and I dunno. Something seemed off about him in this documentary.  Like him not being so trustworthy.

I get that Pillman was this tortured artist. I mean he was in WCW for 7 years and dude never got the respect or due he was deserved. He always over-performed in every role he was given, but he was never seen as anything above a midcard guy. At the same time, it seemed like he couldn't control himself when it came to women and substance. As bad as I feel for Pillman, I feel worse for the women and children in his life. And yes, I even feel bad for Melanie on some level, on a human level. I'm not saying Melanie is a good person, but she was likely vulnerable to vices just as Pillman was. 

I can somewhat respect that Pillman was willing to take care of and provide for his illegitimate children, but it's also hard for me to respect a guy who sees and treats women like this.

Linda Pillman did come out looking the best out of all this and like a true surrogate parent to the whole Pillman family. I just hope Brian Jr. and the rest of his kids will have happy lives. I do worry about Brian Pillman Jr. I think he's decent, but I hope he doesn't spend his whole career chasing his father's shadow. This is a rough business as Dark Side clearly shows.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Did they ever mention Melanie dated Jim Hellwig before she met Brian? 

Not that I recall. They mentioned she was a "Vegas Showgirl," modeled for Penthouse, and was a stripper.

On the new pod, JC mentioned that he saw her picture "in a magazine" (presumably Penthouse) and then tracked her down to meet her (whatever that entails in the early 90s I guess). 

I only saw part 1, but I don't think they mentioned he also dated Buelah when Pillman was in Stampede. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

That was tough to watch. Also, not excusing Melanie Pillman, but Brian Pillman himself was not blameless in that whole situation. Not to mention being left as the mother and sole provider after her husband died and also taking care of his other kids he had out of wedlock. I'm sorry, but both Pillman and Melanie came off like bad guys in that situation. 

I don't know much about Kim Woods, but I did just hear him on Wrestling Observer and I dunno. Something seemed off about him in this documentary.  Like him not being so trustworthy.

I get that Pillman was this tortured artist. I mean he was in WCW for 7 years and dude never got the respect or due he was deserved. He always over-performed in every role he was given, but he was never seen as anything above a midcard guy. At the same time, it seemed like he couldn't control himself when it came to women and substance. As bad as I feel for Pillman, I feel worse for the women and children in his life. And yes, I even feel bad for Melanie on some level, on a human level. I'm not saying Melanie is a good person, but she was likely vulnerable to vices just as Pillman was. 

I can somewhat respect that Pillman was willing to take care of and provide for his illegitimate children, but it's also hard for me to respect a guy who sees and treats women like this.

Linda Pillman did come out looking the best out of all this and like a true surrogate parent to the whole Pillman family. I just hope Brian Jr. and the rest of his kids will have happy lives. I do worry about Brian Pillman Jr. I think he's decent, but I hope he doesn't spend his whole career chasing his father's shadow. This is a rough business as Dark Side clearly shows.

If you have any sympathy for Melanie I'd suggest reading the Liam O'Rourke book that the entire episode was based on as there's quite a bit more on just what an appalling person she is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

If you have any sympathy for Melanie I'd suggest reading the Liam O'Rourke book that the entire episode was based on as there's quite a bit more on just what an appalling person she is.

Most of my sympathy is really directed at the kids and his ex-girlfriend, Rochelle.  It's still hard for me to walk away from this with any type of positive opinion on Brian Pillman, other than that he was an under-sized guy who was pushed out of the NFL and wasn't given the ball in wrestling either and despite perceived limitations constantly out-performed expectations. Not to mention he basically pioneered the edgy worked shoot character that defined the Attitude Era. And that devastating car accident which he barely survived causing irreparable harm to his quality of life.

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Yeah, that's a great book.

• Like 4

On 5/9/2021 at 2:29 AM, TheVileOne said:

I do worry about Brian Pillman Jr. I think he's decent, but I hope he doesn't spend his whole career chasing his father's shadow. This is a rough business as Dark Side clearly shows.

I've heard Brian Jr. on a few podcast episodes and always got the impression that he's a smart guy who's very comfortable with being himself.  On the AEW pod in particular he said he didn't want to emulate anything his dad did and is looking to blaze his own trail.  So as far as chasing his dad's shadow I don't think that'll be an issue unless something drastic happens.

• Like 2

With all the lurid details brought to light in this doc, I'm surprised this one was left out: didn't Pillman tell someone that he believed he'd seen Rochelle's face in the rearview before one of his car crashes?  I wanted to say it was before the famous Humvee crash but he was passed out during that one, so maybe another one.

That story is creepy as fuck.

• Like 1

Junior is a class act and no doubt a major star in the future.  Absolutely heartbreaking hearing his story.  Melanie obviously made some horrible mistakes, but imagine a world where we could muster up some compassion for somebody like Melanie.  Like her son does. 

• Like 1