DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

from this weeks Observer

A few new confirmed episodes of season three of Dark Side of the Ring are shows on XPW, Chris Kanyon, the WCW/New Japan shows in North Korea in 1995, FMW, and Johnny K-9/Bruiser Bedlam. There are two other episodes that have not been revealed for season three that I’ll be on that I’m not allowed to talk about unless they get revealed elsewhere. As noted before, the season will open with the Brian Pillman episode, which is supposed to be at the level of the Owen Hart and Chris Benoit episodes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Coincidentally I revisited a couple episodes from the last season today (UWF/Herbie, Dr. D., Road Warriors, New Jack). Jericho sounded drunk in all of them. 

I wonder what this episode is gonna be about. FMW? XPW? 

It's one of the two as both are getting episodes.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Coincidentally I revisited a couple episodes from the last season today (UWF/Herbie, Dr. D., Road Warriors, New Jack). Jericho sounded drunk in all of them. 

I wonder what this episode is gonna be about. FMW? XPW? 

Isn't there going to be a Nick Gage episode? It could be that one.

• Like 3

Meltzer mentioned that he was being interviewed for the new episodes last weekend.  He mentioned that he was being interviewed for the Pillman one and another one that he actually had to spend time the night before refreshing his memory.  He wouldn't say what it was because it hadn't been announced yet, but later in the podcast he casually said something to the effect of he'd been reading a lot about Rick Rude lately, so maybe those things are related?  Dunno.  Dave's mind is a convoluted, strange place and deciphering him is sometimes a fool's errand.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I don't like the trend of stuff I'm interested in being affiliated with people that will keep me from patronizing it. ?

Yeah, I don't like Bix either.

Wait...who are we talking about again?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

To each their own. ?

Shit, does that person post here? Cause I don't think people are going to get mad naming names.

Also: It's not like they haven't had divisive people on this show before. There is at least one person on these shows someone doesn't like. Hell, the narrator probably doesn't rub people the right way either. This is probably the wrong show to fight that battle for.

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Oh, I meant that everyone has their own “that person” but that it’s different for each person. Heck, for Dark Side, you apparently can choose from : Bix, Corny, Jericho, Dutch and now Conrad. 

Don't forget ole Bruce P! Meltzer too. Can't forget Russo. It's basically a cavalcade of folks the IWC doesn't like but also a segment of the IWC loves religiously.

And speaking of Dutch, I was watching some old Knoxville stuff the other night. He was cutting this promo with Dennis Condrey beside him, and he goes on this tirade: "....And I don't like Indians. Why? Cause they remind me of Mexicans! And I don't like Mexicans!"

Boy, at one point, you could just say anything in pro wrestling. ANYTHING.

• Like 2

NICE!  We can get Conman Thompson hamfistedly shoehorning contrived catchphrases into every conversation to sell t-shirts on Vice.  Button on a fur coat!  Fuck Dave Meltzer!  Low key big hog! ?   I'd call him a parasite on the wrestling industry but I guess it's admirable in a weird way how the guy built up a business from being the American version of what we'd call a "sponsor" in Japan.  Dude paid his way in and is now Ric Flair's son in law.  God, what a gross business this is sometimes.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

NICE!  We can get Conman Thompson hamfistedly shoehorning contrived catchphrases into every conversation to sell t-shirts on Vice.  Button on a fur coat!  Fuck Dave Meltzer!  Low key big hog! ?   I'd call him a parasite on the wrestling industry but I guess it's admirable in a weird way how the guy built up a business from being the American version of what we'd call a "sponsor" in Japan.  Dude paid his way in and is now Ric Flair's son in law.  God, what a gross business this is sometimes.

I'm missing something here? How is that a con?

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm missing something here? How is that a con?

Okay, so maybe not a conman per se but definitely just a skeevy, disingenuous dude who is constantly trying to sell you something.  Dude's a huckster and nothing more.  I grew to hate his show with Prichard when it became clear that 1) Prichard was a lying carny just trying to stay in Vince's good graces and 2) Conrad realized the formula to the show was just be controversial and to inorganically create catchphrases and repeat them constantly to sell shirts.  #2 really hit me after the Schiavone show had been on for a bit and the same thing started happening there.  When that happens, you start to feel like every Conrad show is nothing but a cynical cash grab.  I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to make money, but don't make me feel like a mark (in the con man sense, not the wrestling sense) for listening to your show.

Don't be Gene Simmons just constantly trying to take your audience for every dime, you know?

34 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Okay, so maybe not a conman per se but definitely just a skeevy, disingenuous dude who is constantly trying to sell you something.  Dude's a huckster and nothing more.  I grew to hate his show with Prichard when it became clear that 1) Prichard was a lying carny just trying to stay in Vince's good graces and 2) Conrad realized the formula to the show was just be controversial and to inorganically create catchphrases and repeat them constantly to sell shirts.  #2 really hit me after the Schiavone show had been on for a bit and the same thing started happening there.  When that happens, you start to feel like every Conrad show is nothing but a cynical cash grab.  I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to make money, but don't make me feel like a mark (in the con man sense, not the wrestling sense) for listening to your show.

Don't be Gene Simmons just constantly trying to take your audience for every dime, you know?

There is stuff about all his co-hosts personalities that rub me the wrong way (save for Arn), but I don't think he's a hucksters as much he knew there was lane open especially with older and lapsed fans. That doesn't really make him a huckster especially when 95% of wrestling audience gravitates towards buying shit. Wrestling fans buy random and useless shit. He's not exactly exploiting a poor class of people who doesn't have the money. In addition, I think he knows his shows are YMMV type of shows. He is catering to certain types of wrestling fans (based on the WHW switch to just 1986 stuff, old time JCP/GCW/MACW fans really since that's his favorite stuff) instead of this catch all, phony mainstream type of wrestling podcast.

Up until recently with the Jim Herd, Tully, and both David and Jim Crockett Jr. stuff he's doing now, he was dead set against doing interviews and having guests. Based on all the folks he knows, he could have made money off that YEARS ago. However, he didn't. If you're a grifter, that's one of the first things you do. Moreover, getting those people on record is pretty intriguing if you're a hardcore wrestling fan. He's not exactly lobbing them softballs either. I mean the Tully one (it's one of the recent Arn Show episodes) for example...Tully goes into detail about the downfall of his career. If Conrad was a shyster, it could have been just two hours of effusive praise and verbally fellating him for his work in AEW. Instead that's almost literally 1% of the interview.

I think a lot this stuff is completely overblown. It's fine if folks don't like his shows, but the dislike for him if that's all is certainly irrational.

• Like 1