DVDVR Message Board

DISNEY+ (The Upcoming Streaming Service)

Bustronaut

More details about the Mighty Ducks reboot

Lauren Graham has been cast as the new coach.

Based on the narrative that is being released, the Ducks (at least as a team) are being cast as the Heels

The Mighty Ducks series will be set in present-day Minnesota, where the iconic titular team have evolved from scrappy underdogs to an ultra-competitive, powerhouse youth hockey team. After 12-year-old Evan (Noon) is unceremoniously cut from the Ducks, he and his mom Alex (Graham) set out to build their own ragtag team of misfits to challenge the cutthroat, win-at-all-costs culture of competitive youth sports.

The Noon that is referenced is Brady Noon who is one of the kids that was just in Good Boys

And despite Craig's claims - Deadline reports that Emilio Estevez is still negotiating to reprise his role as Gordon Bombay

If they’re going to get Emilio for a five minute cameo but sell it like he’s a huge part of the movie in the trailer, they should just have him get crushed in an elevator shaft like in Mission Impossible. 

Plus if they really can’t get him to come back, they could always Irishman his uncle Joe, who I’m sure will be in anything. 

• Like 1

So apparently the Lizzie McGuire revival is in trouble? This happened months ago I guess. The original creator and show-runner left due to creative disputes with Disney - according to Vulture, the series was "too adult" for Disney+, and Disney is re-evaluating the series' direction after two episodes have already been filmed. Love, Simon went through the same thing, and moved over to Hulu (and Hillary Duff is comparing the Lizzie show situation to that show's situation).

This sucks, I was actually pretty hyped about that. It reeks of the same thing they did to Girl Meets World - instead of it being a nostalgia trip for older fans that grew up on the original and focusing on the original characters lives since the show ended, it's catered towards a new generation using the same exact formula as before.

1. Tangled: the Series ended today. For anyone who has a 5-7 year old daughter or will anytime soon, it's one of the best things along these lines Disney ever produced. You even get Bruce Campbell's voice as a guest star in a few episodes in S2/S3. Before Ever After and the first two seasons are on D+ I think.

2. While I would not suggest anyone regularly go down the rabbit (duck) hole that is a podcast dedicated to a Disney show, this one episode of this Ducktales podcast has one of the main writers and was really good about how the show came together and some of what they're trying to do and it's quite good: 

https://ducktalks.com/2019/12/19/ducktalks-episode-088-frankly-speaking-with-special-guest-frank-angones/

3. Though he doesn't mention it here, that same writer had pitched in the past a Rescue Rangers show that tied together Great Mouse Detective, Rescuers, and Rescue Rangers but it didn't get picked up, in part because Rescuers are always tied up in the feature department. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Disney announced they will release Frozen 2 three months early on Disney+ starting on Saturday (tomorrow)

They flat out say it is in the hope that it cheers up families in lieu of the current climate

17 hours ago, Matt D said:

Looks like we get a bunch more old shorts on April 3. 

Thank goodness as I just love watching that if we only have a few minutes to catch something before bed.  The early ones are neat to see and oddly different at the same time.  I grew up with the shorts that were done in later years.  So I'm hoping we start seeing some of those.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

• 2 weeks later...

No major surprises here:

The shorts are nice. There's a chance we actually watch some of that Nat Geo stuff as we're stuck in. 

And anyone with a daughter aged 5-8 or so, the Tangled series (last season dropping this month) is really quite good, with a surprisingly deep mythos and a lot of character development you wouldn't expect for something that's basically stuck between a movie and a short. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Artemis Fowl is going straight to Disney+ and suddenly Rippa sounds like Nostradamus for his prediction that this movie probably wouldn't see the inside of a theater.

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

No major surprises here:

The shorts are nice. There's a chance we actually watch some of that Nat Geo stuff as we're stuck in. 

And anyone with a daughter aged 5-8 or so, the Tangled series (last season dropping this month) is really quite good, with a surprisingly deep mythos and a lot of character development you wouldn't expect for something that's basically stuck between a movie and a short. 

I echo this. My daughter didn’t like the second season as much last year when she was four and they got deeper into the plot, but I’ve been planning to reintroduce it soon.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

We watched Onward the other night and it's lovely. The whole family enjoyed it a lot.

Yea - I cried at the beginning when he listened to the tapes, ugly cried at the end so hard and then basically wasn't right for 3 days afterwards.

Good shit.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CSC said:

Yea - I cried at the beginning when he listened to the tapes, ugly cried at the end so hard and then basically wasn't right for 3 days afterwards.

Good shit.  

Yeah, considering my wife lost her dad 5 or so years ago the ending got her really good.  But hot damn is it a great movie.  I don't bother ranking Pixar movies because the ones I've seen have all been great and impactful in different ways.  But if I were to rank it it'd be way up there.

• Like 2

My wife took my daughter to see Onward in a theater right before the world stopped. She broke down a bit afterwards and  talked to her about losing her father suddenly when he was still relatively young, only a couple of years before my daughter was born. I didn’t know any of this, so we watched it for family movie night so I could see it, and then while I was getting my daughter ready for bed she unloaded on me about how she was sad she couldn’t meet pop-pop, etc. I wasn’t ready for that, so the movie was like the emotional sledgehammer that just kept giving. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

For those of us with young daughters, Disney will be releasing Olaf shorts soon recorded by Gad during the quarantine.

There was a big demand on social media to do shorts with Olaf acting out various Disney movies the way he explains the plot of Frozen in Frozen 2. Gad publicly pushed for it to happen, so I’m assuming that’s what it’ll be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

There was a big demand on social media to do shorts with Olaf acting out various Disney movies the way he explains the plot of Frozen in Frozen 2. Gad publicly pushed for it to happen, so I’m assuming that’s what it’ll be. 

Cool. Gad has also been streaming himself reading storybooks over Twitter, so kudos to him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 1:59 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think they should go ahead and drop New Mutants too that thing ain't gonna make much at the B.O. but it'd be great viewing on the service 

seconded. they've already sat on it for a year or more, on top of however long Fox held onto it for....

On 3/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, Matt D said:

show that tied together Great Mouse Detective, Rescuers, and Rescue Rangers but it didn't get picked up

genius! i'd watch this in a heartbeat