DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Also, since it's more relevant over here:

Kevin Durant has gotten surgery on his ruptured Achilles' tendon. He's done, probably through 2020. 

The Warriors official line is they are "shocked" by this news.  I can't wait for him to opt in and fuck over their salary cap. 

I'd be surprised if he doesn't opt in. At least that way, he can work out and try to prove he's healthy when he does hit free agency.

Of course, I say that now, but just watch, he recovers ahead of schedule and returns in the WCF and leads them to another title.

Apparently, the Lakers offer for Davis is:  Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, and the #4 pick.  

They do not want to give up Kuzma, which means, they'll end up giving up Kuzma. 

• Haha 1

I had a notification saying teams are still pushing for KD. Seems like most players not named Cousins come back around ~290 days so he could be ready for next year's playoffs. Interesting times. 

Has anyone ever actually come back and been as good after a ruptured Achilles? I'm probably forgetting someone, but it seems like, at best, guys get back to maybe 85% of the player they were.

Of course, 85% of Durant is still an all-star caliber player.

No.  People say Dominique did and he was still great but he wasn't as explosive it would appear.  Most guys come back as a shell of their former selves. But it depends because in KD's case he's still young enough being 31 and he's a freak athlete like Nique was.  Guys like Wes Matthews and Rudy Gay who are currently in the league saw a dramatic drop off.  Kobe was already getting up there in basketball age so it's no surprise he wasn't the same. 

Other news;  Kyrie is parting ways with his agent and he's signing with ROC Nation it would appear.  I think this means Kyrie to the Nets is a done deal.  Weird spot,  I think they can be good but it's the same situation where he is going to have to lead.  I don't see KD going there. 

Anthony Davis agent Rich Paul says AD will not sign an extension when he is traded.  He will hit free agency. He made it known once again he doesn't want to be a Celtic. AD is eyeing the Lakers or Knicks but let's be honest..  they want him on the Lakers.  Period. 

Here's the issue.  If he were to spend this entire year elsewhere when he does sign with the Lakers LeBron will be 37.   Have fun with that. 

God lord, I just had a scenario go through my head where KD opts-in (and it seems 50/50 from all the talking heads), and Brooklyn pulls off signing both Kyrie and Klay.  

Am I crazy or is that a Finals team?   Especially if they flip Russell to someone like, oh, I don't know,  New Orleans. . .  

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What does Golden State do?  Yes,  they would have probably maxed KD even with the injury but now Klay has a torn ACL.  Can you invest $500M in two injured players? 

I'm sure people will write about this even more with the current situation but, unless they don't re-sign Thompson, they'll end up being over the salary cap threshold no matter what occurs with Durant. So really for the Warriors next season it just comes down to how much luxury tax they're looking to pay and what they can get for the taxpayer MLE and potentially the DPE.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Washington reportedly planning to offer Masai Ujiri $10 million a year and an ownership stake to take over their dumpster fire.

My favorite part is all the folks on my timeline who think that if this happens - the Wizards will win the title in two years

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

I'm sure people will write about this even more with the current situation but, unless they don't re-sign Thompson, they'll end up being over the salary cap threshold no matter what occurs with Durant. So really for the Warriors next season it just comes down to how much luxury tax they're looking to pay and what they can get for the taxpayer MLE and potentially the DPE.

The MLE is probably going to Cousins, unless he thinks he's getting an actual contract out of someone else.  

Klay's ACL going boom at the absolute worst time is another titanic shockwave in FA.   The lynchpin is still KD and the more I think about it, the more I think he'll be a Knick by 12:01am on July 1st.   They're going to offer him the max anyway, so why not just start your next deal and be done with the Warriors.  Hell, there's a small chance he'd suit up for a few games in April to give the fans hope for the future.  

But now Klay's done until at least the 2nd half of next year, or possibly the 2020 season.  You know, if I'm Brooklyn and I've signed Kyrie and a couple of other pieces - I might still roll the dice there and toss out the max to him.  Worst case, the 2020-21 Nets are the favorites to win the East.  Best case, he helps them make a deep run in next year's playoffs. 

I am next to sure though that at least one of them are leaving. But if they don't, then Dray is a mortal lock to leave in '20. 

• Like 1

Yup they are not paying an injured KD and injured Klay max money and then offer Dray a max or near max on top of it. I was thinking maybe it's time to let KD go,  re-sign Klay, basically bottom out or try to get a solid lottery pick and build around Steph, Klay, Dray and the pick.

Every team who can put the money together will still offer Durant a 4 year max.  Which seems nuts for a guy who will miss all next year, but it is Kevin Durant after all.  Even if he takes 2 years to get back to peak KD, a 4 year max would still be worth it for years 3 and 4.

Still think KD signs in NY (and they tank for another year while he rehabs), but the injuries to him and Klay really throw some wrenches in the FA pool.  

Jimmy Butler, for example, will probably have more suitors now.  Still think he stays in Philly, but he’s going to get to pick between max deals in favorable spots.  How much is that extra year worth to him is the question.

I think KD probably does get a max, but I'd be terrified to give it to him. Because history says he'll never be back to who he was before he ruptured his Achilles.

Klay is actually much more likely to return to 100%.