DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...

Does Houston have anything that people want?  Tucker and Gordon both have value, but are also pretty much Houston's entire wing rotation.  After the playoffs he had Capela is probably neutral value in weak market for centers.  They'll have to pay to get off of CP3's money and trading Harden is a non-starter if they genuinely want to improve.

Between this and the reported tension between ownership and Dantoni it could be a real interesting offseason for the Rockets.  I guess this is why they tell you not to miss when you come at the king.

• Like 1

Capela is probably still their best bet for return (he can't handle GSW, but who can?) but I'm not sure they can get anything that makes them better than they currently are.

Paul they'd almost have to attach picks to dump, it's just too much money for a guy who is fragile and aging. I could see the Lakers maybe giving them one young piece, if they strike out on a younger point guard in free agency, just because he's LeBron's friend. 

Gordon definitely has value, but I don't see him having enough to improve the team. They aren't going to get a better player from Gordon than Gordon, or a guy that is a better fit or whatever.

The real questions are how crazy is Morey? Harden has an out in two years, and if the Rockets window looks closed, does Harden leave? Does Morey consider moving Harden (the second best player in franchise history right now, who could become the best) in order to try and set up for the future? 

We know Morey isn't sentimental, and we know he's absolutely championship or bust. The Rockets never want to just run it back, even when the cap situation says they don't have a better choice.

32 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Does Morey consider moving Harden (the second best player in franchise history right now, who could become the best)

??? Harden as of right now is not even top 5 all time in his position. You could make an arguement for  Hakeem to be Top3 all time center. Plus 2 chips.

Edited by hassan80636

3 minutes ago, hassan80636 said:

??? Harden as of right now is not even top 5 all time in his position. You could make an arguement for  Hakeem to be Top3 all time center. Plus 2 chips.

Harden is about to have his fourth top two mvp finish in five years. That's all-time great level. He keeps at this level another four or five years, he's better than Hakeem.

I don't say that lightly. Hakeem is one of my two all-time favorite non-Pistons. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Harden is about to have his fourth top two mvp finish in five years. That's all-time great level. He keeps at this level another four or five years, he's better than Hakeem.

I don't say that lightly. Hakeem is one of my two all-time favorite non-Pistons. 

I admit to be biased towards the players of my youth, it‘s just that the game today is so different to 30 years ago.

Harden is king of today‘s game and his massively inflated numbers attest to that.

Is he an all-time great player? Of course he his.

Is he transcendend like a Hakeem? In my opinion no and it shouldn‘t be a discussion before he at least equals Hakeem in merit.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, hassan80636 said:

I admit to be biased towards the players of my youth, it‘s just that the game today is so different to 30 years ago.

Harden is king of today‘s game and his massively inflated numbers attest to that.

Is he an all-time great player? Of course he his.

Is he transcendend like a Hakeem? In my opinion no and it shouldn‘t be a discussion before he at least equals Hakeem in merit.

Well, I said he's the second best and could become the best, so it's not like I was arguing he's passed Hakeem. I'm saying if he stays in Houston and continues to be a serious MVP candidate for another 4 or 5 years, he will pass Hakeem.

The only other player to finish in the top two in MVP twice in the last five years, btw, is Curry. Harden likely will double him when we see the final tally. Taken on a whole, you can make a pretty strong argument Harden has been the best player in the NBA the last half decade (I wouldn't necessarily agree with it, but the case is there. Hell, you can credibly argue he should be on the verge of winning his fourth MVP. I would disagree, but it's not an insane view to hold unless you are Kurt)

No idea what’s going on between Morey and Fertita. Everyone is always available with Morey. He’s always trying to improve the team. Morey was obviously hamstrung by the luxury tax last year which shaped our offseason and our trade deadline. Fertita has claimed he doesn’t care about the luxury tax, but his actions have all shown otherwise. 

I would’ve extended Mike Dan and Tony. Not that I think he’s the greatest coach, but Rudy T ain’t walking in that door. 

Weirdest plausible trade I heard was Paul for Gordon Heyward. That’s doable, but still puts all the playmaking on Harden.

the other rumor was that the Rockets were trying to get a lottery pick in this year’s draft. Given that it’s a 2 person draft, that seems unlikely.

It looks a lot like D'antonio will enter next year a lame duck now. Which is kinda weird. Like, if you think he can't get you over the top to win a title, fire him now before Harden wastes another season. If you think he can win the title, give him security to get to work.

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It looks a lot like D'antonio will enter next year a lame duck now. Which is kinda weird. Like, if you think he can't get you over the top to win a title, fire him now before Harden wastes another season. If you think he can win the title, give him security to get to work.

Maybe they're waiting to see if KD leaves Golden State. 

The Lakers made Kidd the highest paid assistant coach in the NBA, and added one of his to assistants from his New Jersey stint to the staff.

Jesus, Frank Vogel is getting fired at the first three game losing streak.

Stephen A Smith has reported that Kyrie is leaning extremely heavily towards signing with Brooklyn, instead of New York.  

Here is the amount of salt, with which, you should take this news:

400_F_244286773_DokwRjUIcp0toj58TTy5pSlC

• Haha 2

The Pelicans have informed teams that they are down to work out a multiteam deal for Anthony Davis (that is per Wojo)

Griffin is pursuing a combination of assets that include an All-Star player, a young player with All-Star potential and two first-round picks, league sources said. Those wants are on a sliding scale. For example, the better the player, the softer the requests on the draft picks -- and vice versa.

No time table on when they would want a trade done beyond - if it involves draft picks they want a trade done a few days before the draft so they can evaluate based on their newly acquired picks

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Tony Parker is officially retiring.

Can we all just agree that this year didn't happen and Tony retired a Spur?

------

Everyone going nuts over Toronto is gonna be pissed if it makes Durant feel more appreciated and go with them across the bay.

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Can we all just agree that this year didn't happen and Tony retired a Spur?

They need to sign that man to a 10-day so he can go out right.

It is insane how much of the offseason, and even the next five years of the NBA, is dependent on the results of Durant's MRI.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

It is insane how much of the offseason, and even the next five years of the NBA, is dependent on the results of Durant's MRI.

"Fuck. Your. Doctors., Warriors."

• Like 1