DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 10-7-13

MGFanJay

I think they need a crazy, drunken grandmother that goes around and hits people with her crane and eventually tries to hook up one of the better looking divas with Bray.

What's Mae Young doing these days?

I think they need a crazy, drunken grandmother that goes around and hits people with her crane and eventually tries to hook up one of the better looking divas with Bray.

What's Mae Young doing these days?

That is one booming granny hitting people with cranes and all.

• Like 1

Liked what I watched from the show (the opening segment, the announcement of John Cena’s return at the Hell in a Cell PPV, The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan/Goldust/Cody Rhodes and the end of RAW). The end with Big Show knocking out Triple H was the highlight of the show.

In the UK, the Hell in a Cell PPV was free last year. Doubt it will be this year but I wish it was with the two announced matches on RAW for the show.

The end with Big Show knocking out Triple H was the highlight of the show.

Yeah.  I'll admit that I couldn't suppress a joyous laugh when HHH was laid out.  It's amazing how much, when a guy is portected that much, that such a little thing as one punch can be so satisfying.

The end with Big Show knocking out Triple H was the highlight of the show.

Yeah.  I'll admit that I couldn't suppress a joyous laugh when HHH was laid out.  It's amazing how much, when a guy is portected that much, that such a little thing as one punch can be so satisfying.

We're in agreement. We also got this visual from it:

Posted Image

Cena coming back to face Del Rio is reminding me a bit of when he came back to wrestle Jericho for the belt at Survivor Series 08 after being out since SummerSlam with an injury.  Jericho was coming off the best run of his career with HBK, and Cena came back and beat him for the title in his first match back like it was nothing.  Not that Del Rio has been on anywhere near as good a run as Jericho, but he's been on a really good run since turning heel, consistently having very good matches and coming off as a convincing World Champion.  And I suspect Cena will beat him for the title in relatively easy fashion.

I think the biggest problem with this Del Rio run is the lack of challengers.  They had something good going with Ziggler when they did the double turn....then Ziggler got the concussion and fell out favor for whatever reason.  That's a feud that they didn't get enough out of, which could have put Ziggler over the top, but instead they bogged him down with the AJ/Big E/Kaitlyn stuff which never even got a proper blowoff, and now 2 of the players are more or less out of the picture.  Then they gave Del Rio lameduck challengers in Christian and RVD who nobody believed would win the title.  And now he's going to be fed to Cena.

As far as RAW....I thought the Big Show angles that bookended the show were really good, as was the stuff with Stephanie/Maddox/HHH.  The 6 man was good stuff.  It was cool seeing Backlund and Bruno.  Orton and Kofi had a decent match.  Replaying the Real Americans-Khali/Santino match was odd when they could have just shown the clip from the PPV, and then they have the Cobra get the heat in the segment.  I'm digging Los Matadores as a fun undercard gimmick.  The Diva match was atrocious, and I thought Jo Jo was supposed to be the better prospect of the two.  Eva Marie needs to be stuck in developmental for years and will probably never be any good.  The Punk-Truth teamup was odd since Punk is always such a loner, as was them winning so decisively, and I kept expecting Truth to turn and become a Paul Heyman guy.  Nothing else on the show really sticks out to me right now.

I miss seeing the Usos and PTPers on RAW.  I don't get why they pushed both teams for weeks, even having the Usos involved in Reigns being pinned for the first time....and now they're nowhere to be seen.  Inexplicable waste of two fresh, over tag team acts. 

Cena returning early is crazy. Didn't think it was serious and Vickie was just messing with ADR until Cena tweeted about it. Very random match for him to return in as well. Liked the Big Show/Steph open and especially the ending. Kind of felt a bit early for the KO Punch on HHH but it felt like a big moment which was good. HHH's sell of it was perfect. That whole thing played out great with HHH hiding behind the Shield, Show fighting them but getting taken down then powering up still.. good stuff.

- Big Show's complete lack of giving a shit in the opening segment let you know he was coming back to mess someone up

- Sandow looks SO generic with the black trunks

- Punk trying to give Truth all the heat and the crowd (and myself) not caring at all was pretty funny

- Vickie out of nowhere announcing Cena's return against Del Rio is so strange, it feels either really stupid or a complete swerve.

- Not sure where the Show/Bryan/HHH thing goes from there, just happy the crowd was still all about Bryan even tho it was Show who got the KO

That's all I got

I really enjoyed the last segment.  It woke up a crowd that was lukewarm at best all night.  Cena returning so quickly is insane but it's clear they panicked.

Stephanie is starting to enter into Joan Crawford territory.  Or Faye Dunaway portraying Joan Crawford.  She's doing a good job but it's so...uncomfortbale to watch

The weirdest thing about the JoJo thing was that she was on the right side of the apron but then just randomly walks over to the other side.

It was like she was anticipating Teddy Long coming out and making it an 8-man

• Like 1

The stuff with the divas still seems so tone deaf. AJ gets really over from a mostly truthful promo and they just keep booking her as a heel, with the Total Divas cast all too awful either in the ring or on the mic to come off as faces. Now they debut people from the show in-ring who are obviously clueless and untrained. It makes all the supposedly face divas look disingenuous at best.

Bringing back Cena this soon is insane. Are they just going into panic mode over low ratings even though their ratings have been getting lower steadily for over a decade and NFL being in the same time slot always hurts them? This isn't good for Cena physically, and it isn't good for the product when they're so incredibly reliant on one man.

I marked out so hard for Show KOing HHH I was almost annoyed. Danielson standing over HHH at the end was an amazing visual.

I think Cena winning the World title is a pretty good move at this point from a booking standpoint. Del Rio's done as much as he can to keep the belt worth something with how terribly it has been booked, but it's still gonna take a top-level guy to bring it back. A unification match down the road isn't a bad idea. I'd do that angle with Punk, personally, but Cena works too. The only concern I have with Cena is that he looks like he could be the next big wrestling tragedy the way he rushes back from injuries. He has to be putting a lot of bad things in his body to do that. 

I have no idea what they're doing with the Bryan/Orton program, especially with Show already attacking HHH. Not sure why they wouldn't save that for HIAC, or blown it off at Battleground last night. That's a ppv moment, not a Raw moment. It's obvious someone (probably Vince) is backing him up, so I guess the endgame is HHH/Show at the ppv? Maybe? Shouldn't Bryan be the one to vanquish the evil HHH, though, as part of establishing him as the next big face? Luckily, Bryan has teflon overness, otherwise I'd say things might be looking a bit bleak for him with Show siphoning off some of his big heat moments and Cena coming back so soon. Wouldn't wanna rush to judgment after one show, though.

I said this over on PWO, but I could see them doing a holds-based, low impact match between Cena and ADR, have Cena win, have ADR snap and use a chair or something to work over the injury post match, have Sandow cash in, and then have Cena take a few more months. It'd pop a buyrate, set up a revenge feud for Cena for when he's really healed up, get heat on the heels, and be pretty much the best possible transition from Del Rio to Sandow possible.

• Like 5

Isn't it completely possible that they're in a frenzy and will put the WHC on Cena at HITC?  They could easily protect the shit out of him, having him work an incredibly safe match.  He could continue working like one match a month as the lesser champ, working these safe matches until he's healed.  As long as he doesn't wrestle with a sling, it could probably work.  Hell, he might even wrestle in a sling or something, who knows.  He doesn't need to wrestle to show up and cut promos every week.

Honestly, I don't think ADR has a safe match in him. He has a lot of moves where bad things just seem destined to happen.

The whole thing with Cena coming back seems so strange. Like, if you were going to announce that... why wouldn't he be there live? Think of the pop it would get if they did the whole "And Del Rio's opponent will be...." <cue Cena music><place explodes>. It just isn't sitting right with me.

• Like 1

I said this over on PWO, but I could see them doing a holds-based, low impact match between Cena and ADR, have Cena win, have ADR snap and use a chair or something to work over the injury post match, have Sandow cash in, and then have Cena take a few more months. It'd pop a buyrate, set up a revenge feud for Cena for when he's really healed up, get heat on the heels, and be pretty much the best possible transition from Del Rio to Sandow possible.

Sandow can take credit for putting John Cena on the shelf too, which will be fun.

Fuck John Cena. The sooner he endures a career ending injury, the better. This entire stretch since he lost to DB has been amazing because it's forcing the writers and bookers to work without their precious security blanket. 

• Like 1