DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

15 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

They are. I feel like when talking about this stuff 4 or 5 separate issues all get jumbled together. (independent contractor status, health care for current and retired talents,  collective bargaining (i.e. better benefits, pay, time off) and providing for retired talents.)

The only issue that really bothers me is the handling of the retired talents. It was a much different industry in the 80s and 90s. Many of the names of the eras had 3-5 year runs. Even if those were good money years, how long could that money reasonably last? How much money did a King Kong Bundy type ever make as a wrestler? If you're in your 40s or 50s with all sorts of aches and pains, no real income, no insurance and no marketable skills, life is going to be really hard.   Does WWE owe these performers anything? No. Would it dramatically improve the quality of life of retired talents to chuck them $50k-$100k per year while barely effecting the bottom line? No question. 

Bundy was still doing indie dates.  Also I don't think he died broke- unless he spent all his money on cats, but he did have a few acting gigs.

Harper putting on a clinic in not only professionalism but salesmanship here.

If I was in NY for Mania and meditating over going to one of the Axxess events I absolutely would pay the admission to see this match alone.

Guys like EC3 could learn a thing or two from this. Don't go out on national television looking disinterested and demoralized. Find a way to turn those lemons into lemonade.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Rick said:

Harper putting on a clinic in not only professionalism but salesmanship here.

If I was in NY for Mania and meditating over going to one of the Axxess events I absolutely would pay the admission to see this match alone.

Guys like EC3 could learn a thing or two from this. Don't go out on national television looking disinterested and demoralized. Find a way to turn those lemons into lemonade.

No lie, Harper has made me more interested in this match then a good portion of the matches that will be on the actual wrestlemania card

• Like 4

Per the new WON - the date of Blood Money III has been moved

The listed schedule does not list the planned 5/3 show in Saudi Arabia, but does list an 11/1 date at King Saud University Stadium in Riyadh. The 5/3 show we’re told has been moved to 6/7, although that has yet to be officially announced. There were no main brand shows on the schedule after 4/30 and until 5/5 because of that trip being planned, so talent may be getting time off unless they book some new arenas immediately now that the original date fell through. The only thing we heard about the first date is that it was being moved for logistical purposes.

So it looks like house shows now listed from 6/7 to 6/9 in Denver, Boise, Oakland and Stockton would be in jeopardy. It would look like some rough touring because it looks like Raw and Smackdown are in Austin and Laredo on 6/3 and 6/4, and then they’d be back for San Jose on 6/10 and Sacramento on 6/11 for the next week’s television. Previously the trip hadn’t been as bad because the Saudi Arabia shows would be scheduled to coincide with the beginning of the European tour.

Note for people who where planning on going to the Royal Rumble next year in Houston

The 2020 Royal Rumble will be at Minute Maid Park in Houston, and they are running the Toyota Center for Takeover the night before. However, Smackdown will be taped that week in San Antonio, and Raw in Dallas, which is a 240 mile drive after the Rumble.

Based on the skeleton schedule for next year - it appears that this is the new norm and they are no longer running 4 shows in the same market.

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Rumble in ballparks two years in a row. How long till SummerSlam is a stadium show?

I would assume next year - though to be fair it is way tougher to get Stadiums/Ballparks in August due to MLB and NFL

15 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Baseball stadiums are empty for weekends at a time when teams are on the road...I'm sure they could find a team with a 7-10 day road trip sometime in August.

I just said - tough not impossible

That being said - most teams are really leery about folks using their stadium mid-season due to the damage they might cause to the field

Also you are competing with touring musical acts - like I feel like Nats Park would get/got more from the three shows Taylor Swift did there than the WWE would provide for taking over for a week

• Like 1

Just now, RIPPA said:

I just said - tough not impossible

That being said - most teams are really leery about folks using their stadium mid-season due to the damage they might cause to the field

On the other hand, it's Nats Park, would anyone really notice?

• Haha 1

If you are going to do a stadium for January shows like the Rumble, you better hope the weather is fine, or there is a roof on the stadium to handle the bad weather.   Also you better hope you are only running the rumble on the 26th.  That is good this year because it is after the championship games but early than that you may be rooting for the home team to suck

Just now, RIPPA said:

Oh yeah - its more likely they could use FedEx Field and no one would notice that the field was shot to shit

Oof and you thought traffic this weekend was going to suck.  At least New York has a good subway system.   ?

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Also you better hope you are only running the rumble on the 26th.  That is good this year because it is after the championship games but early than that you may be rooting for the home team to suck

The Rumble generally takes place the weekend after the championship games, no?

Regardless, I don't think the Astros will be contenders come January. 

• Like 1

Yeah - Rumble is always the week their is no NFL playoffs (the pro bowl doesn't count)

But yeah - that's why the are running baseball parks in January

And it's not like SummerSlam is the one with the big elaborate entranceway, so I could definitely see places like MLS stadiums being good candidates for open air SummerSlams.   Or any baseball stadium with artificial turf, frankly....  Though I think the Trop is the only one left?  

45 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If you are going to do a stadium for January shows like the Rumble, you better hope the weather is fine, or there is a roof on the stadium to handle the bad weather.   

I feel like your implying the weather might suck or something then just because it has for at least the last two years.

Edited by Eivion

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And it's not like SummerSlam is the one with the big elaborate entranceway, so I could definitely see places like MLS stadiums being good candidates for open air SummerSlams.   Or any baseball stadium with artificial turf, frankly....  Though I think the Trop is the only one left?  

Skydome as well. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'd like to see something like this at the new Banc of California stadium in LA.  It's got history, because it was built on the site of the Memorial Sports Arena, seats 22k for MLS games and is freaking gorgeous. 

I know it's never going to happen, because the Rams shiny new stadium will be there in a couple years, but it would be a cool mid-size venue for that sort of thing. 

WWE.com's list of the 35 best Mania matches ever. These are always... fun?

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/article/35-best-wrestlemania-matches

I feel like these lists are getting worse. Some highlights:

• No Hogan vs Andre, Hogan vs Savage, or Flair vs Savage
  • Shane vs AJ at 35 because Shane needs to be on here somewhere
  • Undertaker vs Brock at 30, because historical significance = great match; Taker's Mania 23 and Mania 27 matches, darlings of some on this board, are nowhere to be found
  • Perhaps the most alarming thing on the list, Triple H vs Jericho at Mania 18 is included
  • The Mania 2000 ladder match is absent 
  • Savage vs Warrior way low at 15
  • Your best Mania match of all time is HBK vs Taker at Mania 25

And that's without touching things that I hate but other people enjoy for some reason, like Brock vs Angle at Mania 19. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sky dome is the other one. 

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I feel like your implying the weather might suck or something then just because it has for at least the last two years.

Assuming we are on the "running at a stadium argument", while it might be cool to experience, the idea that people are going to watch the royal Rumble at Soldiers Field (or whatever it is called) in January seems unlikely.    But you could run in Detroit because Ford Field has a dome

Weather for next year isn't a factor because Houston is pretty good in January and it has a roof.