DVDVR Message Board

All Things Borderlands

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I hated that fight.  It didn't help that I didn't have a legendary during that fight but ended up with 3 within the next hour and a half after I beat it.  

A good corrosive weapon is all you really need for that fight and not even that if you are patient and have plenty of ammo.   Once you get rid of the yellow bar, the blue bar is not as difficult to destroy as most Shields are.

The problem is that the fucking boss has loads of cheesy AoE attacks that it can use without warning cues.  One minute you're fine and the next your barrier is smashed and you're sitting at like 30 red if you're lucky.

The cheese spots in that area will spare you from the worst of the attacks, but the boss can still drop an AoE DoT back there to force you to move.  

The key to winning is not to panic if you're low on health as long as you're repositioning to keep your Shield up and keep bug biting the fucking boss until it dies.  The video I posted a page or two back was a big help to me.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I really really don't understand the design of that fight.

Like how there aren't things around that you can kill to get out of FFYL is beyond me.

At least at the vault - random guardians popped up. Fuck you could even shoot the clouds and get revived. (Granted that one also had an ally that may or may not revive depending on if she is glitching out or not).

Yeah, the design of that encounter is baffling because it's not like the others.

As you say, even in the worst and most tedious boss fights after that, there are still Second Wind opportunities if you are downed. 

Billie The Anointed and his fucking Blink Smash put me down three times, but I still managed to smoke an overly aggressive Psycho for a Second Wind.

If Katagawa Ball downs you, you're going to spend New U revive money whether you like it or not.

Edited by J.T.

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

A good corrosive weapon is all you really need for that fight and not even that if you are patient and have plenty of ammo.   Once you get rid of the yellow bar, the blue bar is not as difficult to destroy as most Shields are.

The problem is that the fucking boss has loads of cheesy AoE attacks that it can use without warning cues.  One minute you're fine and the next your barrier is smashed and you're sitting at like 30 red if you're lucky.

The cheese spots in that area will spare you from the worst of the attacks, but the boss can still drop an AoE DoT back there to force you to move.  

The key to winning is not to panic if you're low on health as long as you're repositioning to keep your Shield up and keep bug biting the fucking boss until it dies.  The video I posted a page or two back was a big help to me.

My biggest issue is that I was running out of ammo for my corrosive weapon before I was anywhere close to killing the boss.  My best corrosive was a pistol that didn't do nearly enough damage outside of the corrosive effect.  It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a crazy firefight right before that left most of the ammo boxes empty.  I was just switching from gun to gun hoping to have enough ammo to get through.  My best gun at the time was an incendiary pistol which was no help at all, but I got a sweet ass legendary electrical pistol when I beat it which has got me through a lot of fights since.  

I realize this is a stupid complaint when this is a looting game, but I always hated opening chests in 2. This time around, I'm flipping them open like a crackhead because I'm always running out of ammo and it is expensive as shit.

Also, is it just me, or are the vehicles made out of paper mache in this one?

Anyway, if it sounds like I'm doing nothing but bitching, I love the game. Having a sidekick with FL4K makes me way too brave because I figure he'll revive me most of the time.

Edit: OH SHIT! Just got to the prison break. Robert, he ain't kidding.

Edited by RUkered
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RUkered said:

I realize this is a stupid complaint when this is a looting game, but I always hated opening chests in 2. This time around, I'm flipping them open like a crackhead because I'm always running out of ammo and it is expensive as shit.

Also, is it just me, or are the vehicles made out of paper mache in this one?

Anyway, if it sounds like I'm doing nothing but bitching, I love the game. Having a sidekick with FL4K makes me way too brave because I figure he'll revive me most of the time.

Edit: OH SHIT! Just got to the prison break. Robert, he ain't kidding.

Damnit, I need to power through to see some of this stuff.  I have a hard time believing it's gonna top (not really a spoiler, just one line of dialog):

Spoiler

Took ya long enough piss-breath!  I got shit elves earnin time and a half buildin log cabins in my colon!

Really got irritated last night as where I was inside a building and you would respawn and instantly be killed because all the enemies were standing in front of the respawn point

So fucking annoying

Tried to finish the Voracious Canopy junk, including the Family Jewel mission, all in one run, but path bugs and spawn glitches caused me to rage quit.  

Silver linings, I finally pinned my ears back and finished the Revoker and Recluse PvP pinnacle weapon quests in Destiny 2.  OVERWHELMING FIREPOWER, BITCHES~!

I did enjoy the part of the mission where Moze talks to BALEX about whether or not his name is an acronym and in return she gives BALEX her full name. 

Moserah Hayussinian Yan-Lun al-Amir Andreyevna.

Hebrew, Chinese, and Arabic origins.  Wow...

Damn.  And here I thought my last name was a prime candidate for butchery.

I've got nearly all of the challenges done for Voracious Canopy, but I have a feeling I left a Typhon log hanging out there somewhere on the Western side of the map where the Failurebot side mission takes place. 

If I don't find it before the end of the mission, I'll cheat and come back to get it later.

Edited by J.T.

Kategawa Ball died in about 30 seconds.  The other boss that killed us a bunch of times did it again, but we managed to space our space our 10-12 respawns out well enough to beat him without his damn armor resetting.  

Melraz's theory was exactly right on Tannis (late game spoiler):

Spoiler

Yup, she's a siren now.  So now we've got a batshit crazy genius with Angel's powers on our side.

It's just crazy that his character has the inventory slot freedom of one much further along than mine, yet when I mention plot points I think he'd appreciate I find myself neatly spoiling the game for him.

Killavolt went down on the first try, kinda.  He I got him down to a sliver of health before he knocked me into FFYL with no adds around to kill.  I pumped him with my legendary incendiary pistol and just after I went down the flames got him.  So I popped the challenge for getting a second wind off of a boss character without actually getting a second wind.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh yeah - found the new platforming section that will infuriate @J.T.

Reveal hidden contents

The Broadcast tower in the Yard

Not hardly.  That was pretty easy.

My most infuriating platforming experience by far is

Spoiler

The Jabber village in the Voracious Canopy that you have to visit during Failurebot's side mission.  

Not only do you have to climb and platform, but the Jabbers are also trying to fucking kill you as you move along.

It gets worse though.  There is a part of the mission where you have to deliberately kill yourself and pay for a New U rez in order to move the quest along.  

You'll know it when it comes and you will hate it.

Edited by J.T.

For those of you still "chasing" the Florida Man achievement, here is a bit of advice.

If you are going to deliberately try to blow yourself up, do it somewhere like Atlas HQ where friendly NPC's will be able to revive you before you die and are charged with a rez by New U.

Oh, and the explosion has to be the thing that puts you into FFYL mode.   If your grenade has a DoT and that's the thing that puts you down, you won't unlock the achievement.

If you take off your shield and throw two grenades instead of one, that usually does the trick.

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The game giving me a steady stream of gold rocket launchers is infuriating

I haven't seen one of those yet, I think.  Somebody (Kategawa, I think) gave me two gold shotguns last night.  One of them was the beloved Conference Call.  Fire version unfortunately, but I'm glad to finally have a shotgun I actually like.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The game giving me a steady stream of gold rocket launchers is infuriating

Really?  I don't get many rocket launchers at all.  I get all the pistols, most of the smgs, some of the shotguns, an occasional assault rifle, and the rare rocket launcher.  I swear I get 25 pistols before I get a rocket launcher.  

I've had a at least a couple gold SMGs, a bunch of pistols, at least two shotguns, at least one AR and a bunch of grenades.  Not a single sniper or rocket launcher.

Playing out of order is causing interesting stuff, especially since I'm telling it to skip things I've already done.  I've met at least one person after their death.  Last night it was ignoring the skip completed stuff setting for a long time, so I killed Kategawa for the second time in this playthrough.  Then it refused to allow the next mission to progress (I think the second to last main story one on Promethea).  I eventually exited and restarted.  When I did, it skipped forward like two planets.

11 hours ago, RUkered said:

Is that the one with the guy who talks like New Orleans Boomhauer?

THE PACT~!

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am going to Jakobs Mansion and I am not sure if I stumbled across one of the Halloween missions or this is always here

Stupid Witches' Brew

I hated that shit too.  It finally dawned on me that the fucking mutant Tinks will just keep spawning if you don't destroy the cauldrons first and then clear out the enemies.

Counterintuitive to normal Borderlands mission play.

I put down the Family Jewel AI boss.  She dropped zero Legendary weapons for me, but at least I had some cash to burn on the slot machines on Sanctuary.   I got some decent Level 31 weapons to swap out the 28's I've been using, but the machines dropped no gold reward items.  I'll come back when I have more money.

Not brave enough to play the slot machine that only takes Eridium.

So Ice-T is now the Navigational AI for Sanctuary III.  Awesome!

Edited by J.T.

Finally left Pandora, but I was only level 9 when I left. I wound up hitting level 10 on the ship though. 

The biggest issue that's sticking out to me is that none of the humor is landing. I think maybe 10 years ago or more I probably would have found it funny, but it's so much like Family Guy where it's just jokesjokesjokesjokesjokesreferencesjokesreferencesjokes and maybe 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 15 jokes is landing. I love to laugh and I love comedy, but this is just...bad. I remember being humored by Borderlands 1 and 2, so maybe this is just an age thing for me.

Despite that, I'm really digging the gun play, but I do wish it was a bit more difficult. I'm not digging enemies just standing in front of you while you mow them down. And I'm constantly out of ammo, so that sucks.

I also haven't found any really great guns, save for one shotgun that also acts as a sniper rifle. I did find an epic AR, but the look down sight is all purple and you can't see shit through it. 

Anyway, I'm still digging the game, but it's definitely not without its problems. Thankfully, I haven't run into any slowdown yet so that's going well and the game does play incredibly smoothly. 

So with Rogue Sight in hand, I'm off to find Vault Key Fragment #2.

And Holy Shit, Ambermere is fucking enormous.  Does every zone on Eden-6 have to be the same size or bigger than the zones for the previous planets? 

Scouring the map for challenges is so ridiculously time consuming on the maps where you aren't allowed to use a vehicle.  I guess that's what constitutes "game hours."

I've got a Legendary Artifact now and I hope I get my last item slot unlocked soon because I have damn near sold this fucking thing by accident four or five times now.

What is with Dr. Zed and him selling bomb ass class mods for every one but the Gunner I'm running?

Edited by J.T.