DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2020

Liam

First since Ramsey - the best of the stats

• Gareth Southgate is just the second manager to take England to the semi-final of both the World Cup and the European Championship, after Alf Ramsey in 1966 and 1968.
  • The Three Lions have kept seven consecutive clean sheets for the first time in their history. They have not conceded for 662 minutes.
  • This was Ukraine's joint-biggest defeat in a match at a major tournament, equalling their 4-0 defeat by Spain in the group stages of the 2006 World Cup.
  • Raheem Sterling has been involved in 22 goals in his past 21 games for England (15 goals, seven assists), while Harry Kane has been involved in 27 in his past 26 for the Three Lions (18 goals, nine assists).
  • Sterling has provided six assists for Harry Kane for England in all competitions, more than any England player has assisted another in the 21st Century.
  • Luke Shaw's assist for Harry Maguire was the first time two Manchester United players have combined for an England goal at a major tournament since David Beckham assisted Paul Scholes against Portugal at Euro 2000.
  • England keeper Jordan Pickford has kept five clean sheets at Euro 2020 - no keeper has ever kept more in a single staging of the competition before.

Thank God Spain is out to be honest. Possibly the single worst team in the world to watch right now. In their prime they did something special now it's just literally watching some guys pass the ball about aimlessly for hours and then Morata scoring once every 25 chances. Iniesta could come back from the J League, play standing on his hands, and probably still improve this team's watchability.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Thank God Spain is out to be honest. Possibly the single worst team in the world to watch right now. In their prime they did something special now it's just literally watching some guys pass the ball about aimlessly for hours and then Morata scoring once every 25 chances. Iniesta could come back from the J League, play standing on his hands, and probably still improve this team's watchability.

This made me chuckle coming up to 4am UK time. Cheers.

Only saw the 90 minutes, it was a good game in those. This might have been the best game Spain had and they appeared somewhat unlucky not to win this. I still prefer this Italy over pretty much every incarnation of the Squadra Azzura I have ever seen. They just seem exciting to watch. 

Olmo and Morata missing their penalties after quite good games is classic penalty shootout madness. 

• Like 1

Spain actually played a great game yesterday and in the first halt of extra time were pushing heavily for a second goal. I guess towards the end, they ran out of steam and Italy had the upper hand in the second half of extra time. I did not expect Spain being able to force their game on Italy as much as they did. I expected Italy to pass to the finals quite easily with the game currently going on be a 50-50 thing. Let's see if my second prediction is more accurate.

If it wasn't England playing Denmark, I'd have rooted for Denmark. If we lost, I'd still want them to go all the way and win with what Denmark's gone through with Christian Eriksen cardiac arrest on the pitch. I turned in late and knew something was wrong with the lengthy crowd shots thinking it was a bad injury, never would have guessed what actually happened.

• Like 1

With the final less than two hours away, I just over a newsbit that UEFA is considering extending the EUROs to 32 teams in 2028.

UEFA had 55 F. A. members, they might aswell have everyone compete and turn this into an all out knockout thing at this point.