DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2020

Liam

Netherlands/Ukraine was fun as fuck, made all the better before the match even started by Mark Pougatch on ITV uttering the best words in football: ''Let's join our commentary team of Ally McCoist and...''

Yeah, you had me at ''Ally McCoist'' there, Mark. By far and away the best co-commentator on BBC and ITV and a man who, get this and this is the shocking part, actually sounds like he's enjoying having one of the best jobs in the world where he gets paid to go watch football as opposed to some of the rest of them who have always sounded like they're commentating on paint drying on growing grass. 

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop

Paying our fucking license fee for some shadows? I mean, if the whole thing had been one big shadow and that somehow stopped England scoring, that would have been swell. Actually, I'm going to refrain from commenting on England throughout this because there's a decent chance they might actually win the whole thing and that would not be swell but, then again, it's England and they'll probably Spurs the fuck out of it. 

Anyway, that vaguely reminds me of the story of an off his tits Elton John phoning down to a hotel reception and asking them to do something about the windy weather outside. 

I'm pretty sure I didn't make that up.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 1

Folks here will appreciate this bit in Ken Earlys Irish Times column today

The collective delusion is instantly absurd in the shadow of death. Maintaining kayfabe was clearly too much for many of the players. Watching the sad second half was enough to make you nostalgic for times when commentators worked themselves up into ridiculous fits of anger and shouted out things like “shocking” and “wretched” about a game of football - not because the emotions and the words were really justified, but because they weren’t.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

That was a tremendous 85 mins by Hungary. Portugal will have to step up for their next games.

Portugal already has as many winds after 90 minutes now as they had in total when they won the Euro 5 years ago (in 2016, they finished the group stage with 3 draws (incl. a 3-3 against Hungary), beat Croatia in the round of 16 and France in the final in extra time and Poland in the 1/4-finals in penalty shoot-out; the only straight win was a 2-0 against Wales in the semi-finals).

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 1

First heard people use that line five years ago when he was at Leicester when he was so good in their midfield he fooled people into believing his midfield partner Danny Drinkwater was any good. Was the whole thing after that when he went to Chelsea too that he probably ran to London from Leicester.

He was playing for Caens in the French 2nd division in 2014, since then he's won 2 league titles, an FA Cup, a Champions League, a Europa League and a World Cup all while being four-foot nothing of adorableness. 

I saw the Penaldo thing trending on Twitter earlier too, is that what people are using now to try and besmirch (my all time favourite Regal promo word) a man who's scored 800 odd career goals and by the time he's finished (because he's legit going to play until he's 40) I wouldn't be surprised would have close to 900 odd?

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop