DVDVR Message Board

WWE Best Of The Year

Greggulator

Moving on,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ATqb1GhLy0

This didn't make the WWE tribute show as best as I can tell so they posted it themselves. Ultimately I was disappointed with the Holla Holla six man. It just didn't get the time it would have on Smackdown or what not. This on the other hand was one of the last great Shield matches of the year. I liked the second FIP a good deal (especially the miss on the Superman punch) and the end run of Rollins vs Mysterio was a lot of fun. 

Well worth watching.

• Like 1

Michaels was a dick, sure. So was oh let me see... Hogan, Bret, Austin, [insert all top guys ever here]

On Jericho's show he and Edge mentioned that you have to be an asshole to get to be a top guy.

Is that why Edge fucked Lita? He had a rep of being too nice of a guy?

Throwing in Bryan and Harper on the final Raw of the year. Harper beats the hell out of Bryan. His stuff is stiff as hell. He breaks out his Michinikou Driver and a Top Rope Powerbomb that was one of the craziest spots of the year. Bryan fights to survive, being the sympathetic underdog. He hits two GREAT dives to the floor that Harper eats like a champ. There's no surprise there -- Harper did a lot in Chikara and spent a lot of time as a base for small guys doing a lucha interpretation. Bryan's the best in the WWE. Harper has somehow climbed up the rankings and is probably Top 5 right now. Nasty stuff.

Is there a way to get Harper/Cesaro somehow?

I'll put this in for Best Promo of the Year.

Ok, after seeing that promo AND the Doctor Who Christmas episode, I want, no, DEMAND that Regal lose an epic war of a match, regenerate into a young, lethal English shooter and destroy his opponent. Legit, he just did in two minutes what some guys never EVER learn to do in months of angles and skits, make me give a shit.

Regal is the absolute prototypical "good hand" in wrestling.  Can cut a promo, can work with anyone, can play heel, play face, be deadly serious, be legitimately laugh out loud funny...

• Like 2

Regal is the absolute prototypical "good hand" in wrestling.  Can cut a promo, can work with anyone, can play heel, play face, be deadly serious, be legitimately laugh out loud funny...

Good hand (to me) is Val Venis or someone else who you keep around for jobbing and teaching. Definitely what Regal is at this point. But he's so much better than a "good hand".

Yes and no.  I mean, he's obviously a massively superior talent, but he was never a main event guy, and barely ever even all that close to being one.  He was just an absurdly talented mid-card guy for years and years.  Maybe "great hand" would be a better way of putting it?

Yes and no.  I mean, he's obviously a massively superior talent, but he was never a main event guy, and barely ever even all that close to being one.  He was just an absurdly talented mid-card guy for years and years.  Maybe "great hand" would be a better way of putting it?

He had his moments. It felt like pre-illness he could have been a bigger star. Then there was the 2008 push that a piss test killed. Just seeing those play out would have been amazing.

My final list:

1. Punk vs. Lesnar (Summer Slam)

2. Del Rio vs. Ziggler (Payback)

3. Del Rio vs. Show - LMS (SD 1-11)

4. Bryan vs. Rollins (Raw 6-10)

5. Bryan vs. Cena (Summer Slam)

6. Bryan/Usos vs. Shield (SD 9-20)

7. Punk vs. Taker (Wrestlemania)

8. Hell No/Kofi vs. Shield (Raw 5-20)

9. Cena/Sheamus/Ryback vs. Shield (Elimination Chamber)

10. Bryan vs. Orton - No DQ (Raw 6-24)

11. Del Rio vs. Christian (Summer Slam)

12. Punk vs. Cena (Raw 2-25)

13. Usos vs. Rollins/Reigns (Money in the Bank, pre-show)

14. Cena vs. Sandow (Raw 11-18)

15. Orton vs. Christian (Raw 8-26)

16. Cody/Dustin vs. Rollins/Reigns (Battleground)

17. Bryan vs. Orton (Raw 12-16)

18. Bryan vs. Swagger/Cesaro/Ryback - Gauntlet (Raw 7-22)

19. Bryan vs. Harper/Rowan/Bray - Gauntlet (Raw 12-30)

20. Cesaro vs. Kofi (Main Event 5-1)

My final list:

1. Punk vs. Lesnar (Summer Slam)

2. Del Rio vs. Ziggler (Payback)

3. Del Rio vs. Show - LMS (SD 1-11)

4. Bryan vs. Rollins (Raw 6-10)

5. Bryan vs. Cena (Summer Slam)

6. Bryan/Usos vs. Shield (SD 9-20)

7. Punk vs. Taker (Wrestlemania)

8. Hell No/Kofi vs. Shield (Raw 5-20)

9. Cena/Sheamus/Ryback vs. Shield (Elimination Chamber)

10. Bryan vs. Orton - No DQ (Raw 6-24)

11. Del Rio vs. Christian (Summer Slam)

12. Punk vs. Cena (Raw 2-25)

13. Usos vs. Rollins/Reigns (Money in the Bank, pre-show)

14. Cena vs. Sandow (Raw 11-18)

15. Orton vs. Christian (Raw 8-19)

16. Cody/Dustin vs. Rollins/Reigns (Battleground)

17. Bryan vs. Orton (Raw 12-16)

18. Bryan vs. Swagger/Cesaro/Ryback - Gauntlet (Raw 7-22)

19. Bryan vs. Harper/Rowan/Bray - Gauntlet (Raw 12-30)

20. Cesaro vs. Kofi (Main Event 5-1)

Not including NXT huh?

What are the best NXT matches? So far I have seen Sami/Cesaro I, Sami/Cesaro 2/3 Falls, Sami/Neville, Bo/Sami, and Cesaro/Regal. Is there anything worth searching for?

I remember people talking up Regal/Ohno which I have watched and Paige/Emma which I haven't. The only pimped NXT matches I've managed to see so far are Regal/Ohno, Cesaro/Sami 2/3 Falls and Cesaro/Regal.

Here are my favorite matches of the year in a loose order. I didn't see any WWE PPVs before SummerSlam so I'm missing a lot of stuff.

1) The Rhodes Boys vs. The Shield, some episode of Raw -- Cody and Dustin win the belts over one of the most dominant tag teams (plus corner man) of all-time. The work in the match was very good -- not great, but very good -- but the ending is what made it. The rules were tailored to tilt the match in favor of The Authority's lackeys. This is the same Authority that fired Cody over petty reasons (HHH and Orton not getting invited to his wedding/Cody lipping off to HHH), fired Dustin in order to further humiliate the family, and tried to force Dusty to choose between his sons only to get punched in the face by the indentured Big Show. However, the fired Big Show comes out from the crowd and saves the day and punches Roman Reigns to get payback after being forced to punch one of his idols in order to keep his job. The match ends with Cody and Dustin celebrating as Show goes into the crowd and does the Yes chant -- reminding everyone that the larger story is the arc of Daniel Bryan, which is why this whole thing happened in the first place.

For everyone who says the WWE is incapable of telling a layered, complex storyline, please look at that. That's legitimately amazing storytelling. If you want to rank matches based on work alone, be my guest. But I think the bigger context of the match and those intricacies and callbacks is way more important. Legitimately, I don't think the WWE ever told anything like this as well as they did. The only match I can think of off the top of my head in US wrestling as good was Raven/Richards vs. The Pitbulls in ECW, which is only probably the best match in ECW history. This match is on par with the best match in ECW history.

This my MOTY and on the short list of best matches ever on Raw.

2) The Rhodes Boys vs. The Shield, Battleground -- Superb and masterful work that ends with Dusty punching Dean and the good guys defeating The Shield. Another amazing match between a lot of amazing workers.The work in the match itself is better than number one. And if anyone wants to say it's overall better, you won't get much of an argument from me. This is one of the best tag team matches in a ridiculously long time.

3) Bryan vs. Cena, SummerSlam -- This match was essentially a reset button for the WWE. It was so friggin' crazy and wild -- the Ganzo Bomb, the flying knee, etc. Bryan as maybe the best all-time underdog vs. Cena, who got to work as an ace, and he's terrific in the role. Bryan beats the WWE's lone icon and cements himself forever. Then the crazy ass end comes with HHH and Randy, creating The Authority. This match essentially launched the best six months of in-ring WWE wrestling since at least The Smackdown Six and maybe even longer. There were so many classic matches and angles (the two above, so many friggin' awesome Shield things, the Wyatt's reign starting, etc.) that happened because of the aftermath of this match. None of that has the gravitas if those two didn't put on one of the great matches in SummerSlam history.

4) Punk vs. Lesnar, SummerSlam -- 1B to one of the WWEs best-ever PPVs. A complete and total war and awesome story. Punk has to somehow survive Lesnar in an effort to destroy Heyman. He uses his guile and wit to do so but his hubris and obsessive quest for revenge leads for him to lose to the monster.

5) Punk vs. Cena, that Raw -- The culmination of a two-year rivalry that saw Punk consistently win the upper hand on the way to a historic title reign that lasted longer than any of Cena's multiple reigns. Up until SummerSlam, Cena and Punk were the WWE's two most compelling figures -- Cena, the mainstream hero and face of the company against the anti-hero Punk. Both guys have to break out stuff they've never done before -- the Cena-canrana, Punk's piledriver -- in order to try and end the match. Cena wins and makes it clear that he's better than Punk and goes on to take back the title against The Rock.

6) Del Rio vs. Big Show, LMS -- Del Rio as a face sucked but this was a terrific moment. Del Rio's biggest kayfabe strength is his cunningness. He works body parts, finds weaknesses, looks for flash moves (and cheap shots as a heel), etc. Here, he manages to figure out a way to defeat the giant in a super clever fashion.

7) Jericho vs. RVD, the Raw in Brooklyn -- This match wasn't for wrestling nerds. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff old Jericho and RVD do that we'd all rip apart. But these two had the crowd eating out of the palm of their hands like it was 2000, and that's more important than anything. It felt like a US Open tennis match between Sampras and Agassi after Federer took over -- two long-time favorites going at it, without a lot at stake other than the personal pride in beating the other.

8) Sami vs. Cesaro, NXT -- The best pure babyface in the world showing fire against one of the greats going right now. This was just an awesome spot-fest, but told magnificently well -- Sami's crazy dive and his insane tornado DDT spot, Cesaro getting a fall off of a nasty spinning chinlock, and one of the most insane feats of strength from Cesaro to end the match. So friggin' great.

9) Punk/Bryan/Rhodes Brothers/Usos vs. The Shield/Wyatts, Raw -- The WWE became tag team heaven the past few months and tag wrestling is the best wrestling. This was such a friggin' awesome match. The six faces against the two heel factions. The Shield and The Wyatts the week before squared off in one of the most hot segments of the year. They don't trust each other to start things but learn to work together during the match, which resulted in all of them jumping the faces in the corner all at once in one of the most fun sports of the year. It ends with all of the insane dives, etc. that has made this year so awesome.

10) Emma vs. Paige, NXT -- The NXT women's division is terrific. These two put on a really good match made even better by the great crowd. They have such a great juxtaposition -- Emma is the bubbly ditz who is really very good, Paige is the ultra-serious "anti-diva" who believer her hype a little too much. Paige becomes the first NXT Divas champion.

11) Emma/Santino vs. Fandango/Summer Rae -- An insanely great comedy match, something we should always support and want to see.

What are the best NXT matches? So far I have seen Sami/Cesaro I, Sami/Cesaro 2/3 Falls, Sami/Neville, Bo/Sami, and Cesaro/Regal. Is there anything worth searching for?

I remember people talking up Regal/Ohno which I have watched and Paige/Emma which I haven't. The only pimped NXT matches I've managed to see so far are Regal/Ohno, Cesaro/Sami 2/3 Falls and Cesaro/Regal.

For some reason I was thinking the Regal /Ohno matches weren't this year. I don't really hear them get the same amount of praise as the other matches. Paige/Emma was decent, but kind of overrated. Paige/Nattie from I want to say last month was better. As were the two ppv Kaitlyn/AJ matches.

I think people rated Paige/Emma so highly because it was given kind of a main event level feel.  Also add in the skill level of Emma, and you have a match that was worlds better than it really should have been.

Yeah, the atmosphere made the match. The match itself was a very acceptably good wrestling match but the build to it was great and the split crowd was good, too. It's sort of like college basketball in a way -- the level of play isn't nearly as good as the NBA, but a heated college crowd has a great atmosphere that makes the game so much more epic than it probably is.

I know I forgot Regal/Ohno and Regal/Cesaro. My list is pretty much just random crap that came to my mind after the Top 4. I'm not about to sit-down and rank all of them but man oh man are we lucky people.