DVDVR Message Board

WWE Best Of The Year

Greggulator

I've always thought this board should do a Top 20 WWE matches of the year poll, also wrestler of the year etc. but never got any traction for the idea, I'd be pretty excited were this to actually happen.  Where would NXT be included?  And I think you should edit all suggestions into a list in the first post, maybe put it chronologically.

I've always thought this board should do a Top 20 WWE matches of the year poll, also wrestler of the year etc. but never got any traction for the idea, I'd be pretty excited were this to actually happen.  Where would NXT be included?  And I think you should edit all suggestions into a list in the first post, maybe put it chronologically.

With the quality of WWE's 2013 and it isn't over yet, it would be really cool to have a Top 20 WWE Matches of the Year poll and Wrestler of the Year.

The Roman/Bryan singles match from a few weeks ago was awesome. There are always those years in baseball when a guy wins MVP for being way better than expected on a good team (like Jimmy Rollins on the Phils in '07). Reigns is like that. That dude didn't do much of anything in the minors but he's a friggin' revelation in the WWE. If he was replaced with another smaller indie guy (not that Dean and Seth are small), they wouldn't have the same cachet. They need a muscle dude who has that unstoppable gimmick. Dare I say that his trash talk game has reached Mark Henry levels?I was the absolutely biggest Dean fan in FCW. In a lot of ways he's the less of the three. And that's saying something because I'm not disagreeing with anyone who wants to list him as a Top 5 guy. That's how amazing those guys have been. I think Dean might have had the best trash talk line, though, when he said "You're in the baaaaaad part of town."They literally should run with those guys for years. There's no need to break them up. At all. Just push whoever you want to get one of the world belts and switch that dude into the tag spot.I would include NXT on this list. They've had four matches on par with anything the big league has done -- Big E.'s title win, Kassius/Regal, Zayn/Cesaro and Zayn/Swagger. And if you're of a similar aesthetic as me, you'd also have to throw in Santino/Emma vs. Fandango/Summer since it's the best comedy match since Stevie Richards was in ECW. Paige/Emma for the title is also very much worthy of consideration -- the atmosphere was fantastic and the work was very, very good. There was also a Wyatt Family six-man involving Regal that I dug a lot, too. Bray/Jericho was also very solid. In a lot of years it'd be a number 20-ish on the ballot. I wouldn't even think about it this year.

• Like 1

The best part of this is that there's still a Hell In The Cell PPV, Survivor Series and whatever they do in December left. There's at least one Rhodes Family/Shield rematch coming our way. Bryan/Orton in the cage. Those are another two MOTYCs right there that are guaranteed. Cena/ADR will also be great, too. Cena has that injured arm and that's ADR's specialty.

• Like 1

How about Dolph vs. Del Rio from Payback? Double turns are one of the hardest fucking things to do in wrestling, and this is probably the 2nd best one ever done in WWE. People were crying for Ziggler. That's impressive.

Del Rio was awesome in that match, loved how he managed to make every kick to Dolph's head more vicious than the last. The whole match was so well executed.

Watched this for the first time today. A great match with how that story was told with Del Rio's constant attacks on Ziggler's head after returning from concussion. I'd also like to bring up their match on the post WrestleMania XXIX RAW with the hot crowd for Ziggler's cash-in.

Kofi Kingston vs. Antonio Cesaro from WWE Main Event, 1st May is easily Kofi Kingston's best ever match.

Oh, depending on how long the list is, the Uso's vs. The Shield from the preshow of... Was it Summerslam? Money in the Bank?

Summerslam. GREAT match.
It wasn't Summerslam because I was bummed we didn't get a six man with Sheild vs. RVD/Show/Henry. Instead we got Ambrose RVD on the pre-show, with the rest of those guys mentioned at ringside.

Yeah, it was at MITB in Philadelphia.  A friend of mine was sitting fifth row and loved the match.  I still haven't seen it.

The Roman/Bryan singles match from a few weeks ago was awesome. There are always those years in baseball when a guy wins MVP for being way better than expected on a good team (like Jimmy Rollins on the Phils in '07). Reigns is like that. That dude didn't do much of anything in the minors but he's a friggin' revelation in the WWE. If he was replaced with another smaller indie guy (not that Dean and Seth are small), they wouldn't have the same cachet. They need a muscle dude who has that unstoppable gimmick. Dare I say that his trash talk game has reached Mark Henry levels?I was the absolutely biggest Dean fan in FCW. In a lot of ways he's the less of the three. And that's saying something because I'm not disagreeing with anyone who wants to list him as a Top 5 guy. That's how amazing those guys have been. I think Dean might have had the best trash talk line, though, when he said "You're in the baaaaaad part of town."They literally should run with those guys for years. There's no need to break them up. At all. Just push whoever you want to get one of the world belts and switch that dude into the tag spot.I would include NXT on this list. They've had four matches on par with anything the big league has done -- Big E.'s title win, Kassius/Regal, Zayn/Cesaro and Zayn/Swagger. And if you're of a similar aesthetic as me, you'd also have to throw in Santino/Emma vs. Fandango/Summer since it's the best comedy match since Stevie Richards was in ECW. Paige/Emma for the title is also very much worthy of consideration -- the atmosphere was fantastic and the work was very, very good. There was also a Wyatt Family six-man involving Regal that I dug a lot, too. Bray/Jericho was also very solid. In a lot of years it'd be a number 20-ish on the ballot. I wouldn't even think about it this year.

Joe (Roman) was a great trash talker even in college. Cheapshot artist supreme on the field at Georgia Tech. And I mean that as a compliment. He and QB/Pariah Reggie Ball and I were in the same chemistry class, and I remember one day after a particularly brutal performance from Ball, Joe had some fantastic words for him as Reggie entered class late (as per usual.) Joe is a great dude, and any success he has is earned. But yeah, that match w him and D-Bry is fantastic.

• Like 1

They literally should run with those guys for years. There's no need to break them up. At all. Just push whoever you want to get one of the world belts and switch that dude into the tag spot. 

Yes, this.

While I haven't seen all of the matches listed here, I can say that Punk/Cena from Raw in January (PILEDRIVER, MOTHERFUCKER!!!) really entertained me. That was the beginning of me paying ANY attention to the WWE in years. I've watched Raw more in the last 10 weeks than I have in the last 10 years. Seeing guys like Punk, Bryan, the Shield, Cesaro, Cena, etc. come out and just bust their asses and actually give us great, emotional in-ring product has kept me intrigued.

With that all said, Bryan would be my MVP and match of the year would be Punk/Lesnar but just barely.

The Roman/Bryan singles match from a few weeks ago was awesome. There are always those years in baseball when a guy wins MVP for being way better than expected on a good team (like Jimmy Rollins on the Phils in '07). Reigns is like that. That dude didn't do much of anything in the minors but he's a friggin' revelation in the WWE. If he was replaced with another smaller indie guy (not that Dean and Seth are small), they wouldn't have the same cachet. They need a muscle dude who has that unstoppable gimmick. Dare I say that his trash talk game has reached Mark Henry levels? 

If you were to do end-of-year awards, Roman would win most improved so easily. He's gone from the guy that hides in all the matches until spear time, to an active contributor throughout. 

But no one reaches Mark Henry levels of trash talk. Let's not be too quick to forget "I'ma whip you like you stole somethin' boy," and "Tell me a joke now!"

• Like 1

The Roman/Bryan singles match from a few weeks ago was awesome. There are always those years in baseball when a guy wins MVP for being way better than expected on a good team (like Jimmy Rollins on the Phils in '07). Reigns is like that. That dude didn't do much of anything in the minors but he's a friggin' revelation in the WWE. If he was replaced with another smaller indie guy (not that Dean and Seth are small), they wouldn't have the same cachet. They need a muscle dude who has that unstoppable gimmick. Dare I say that his trash talk game has reached Mark Henry levels? 

If you were to do end-of-year awards, Roman would win most improved so easily. He's gone from the guy that hides in all the matches until spear time, to an active contributor throughout. 

But no one reaches Mark Henry levels of trash talk. Let's not be too quick to forget "I'ma whip you like you stole somethin' boy," and "Tell me a joke now!"

My favorite Henry trash talk moments:1) Him choking out JR via his tie saying "THIS IS THE PART WHEN YOU BEG FOR YOUR LIFE!"2) Him coming to the ring and tossing Titus like it was no big deal and then saying "GROWN FOLKS IS GONNA TALK."

Also, my moty list right now, top 5.

5. Bryan/Cesaro (probably bumps up another spot if we count the whole gauntlet as one match.)

4. Sheamus/Cena/Ryback vs. The Shield (my favorite Shield match.  God Cena was great in this, playing Ricky Morton.)

3. Cena/Punk RAW

2. Taker/Punk (Fuck you, I was there live, it was amazing.)

1. Cena/Bryan

Man, leaving off Punk/Lesnar and Bryan/Rollins is really fucking depressing.  What a great year.

Maybe not quite as good as some of the other Shield matches from a workrate perspective, but I really loved the Undertaker/Hell No vs. The Shield match.

Oh man, I'd forgotten this one. That say something about how crazy this year has been.

My top 5, though in no particular order because I can't decide what the MOTY is:

Punk/Taker: Taker proves he can still have a great match without having to rely on a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Rhodes brothers/Shield: Dustin works like a man possessed. Cody looks like the star we always knew he could be. Wrestling matches rarely invoke that much genuine emotion in the viewer, but when they do, it's magical.

Lesnar/Punk: Punk manages to look like a credible threat to a guy who probably eats meals larger than him.

Bryan/Cena: Fuck anyone who still thinks Cena can't wrestle.

Zayne/Cesaro: That finish was bananas. Sami's gonna be a huge star when he hits TV.

I haven't actually seen Punk vs. Jericho from Payback, but people on Twitter were shitting themselves over it. Was it that good?

It was one of the last cuts off my top 20 along with HHH/Lesnar at Extreme Rules. If you like what Punk and Jericho have done the last 3 or 4 years, you'll like the Payback match. It's exactly what you'd expect from them doing basically a face v face formula, even though I guess Punk was supposed to kinda still be a heel. Personally, I thought the first half was slow and the finishing run was solid. Definitely Jericho's best match this year, although that's not saying a lot. Punk's obviously had several that were better. On a company-wide scale, it just didn't stand out too much. In a lesser year, it's probably a top 20, but not in 2013.

I liked Punk/Jericho, but, like every match I've seen the two of them have against each other, it never quite hit the level I wanted it to/thought it would.

It's certainly good, but I vaguely recall it having some weird bits to it. 

Man, I'd totally forgotten the Brock/Triple H Cage match.  That was damn good shit too.  What a year