DVDVR Message Board

Raw-united, And It Feels So Good. - 3/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

So just to recap Becky's story from the Rumble until now.

Becky faces Asuka for the SDL Women's title and taps cleanly. She comes out later that night taking Lana's spot in the Rumble and ultimately wins the match and thus a title match at Mania. However, Becky's knee is"injured" so they tell her she has to go "get her knee checked out by WWE doctors" to be cleared for her Mania match. Becky doesn't want to as she's scared the McMahon's will screw her out of what she believes she deserves. She slaps HHH and beats up Stephanie to not have her knee looked at. However, Becky finally does get her knee looked at, apologizes to the McMahons, and is put in the main event match that she won at the Rumble. But then Vince takes her out of the match and replaces her with Charlotte and suspends Becky. Becky keeps coming out and interfering over the next couple of weeks and ultimately gets her knee re-injured. Instead of again needing her to be cleared, they now just say she needs to sign a "hold harmless agreement" and she's all good to go? Why go through 8 weeks of build around her knee to end up here? 

Seems like the underlying angle behind this is that Steph is still pissed at Becky, but brought her back (seemingly against her father's wishes) to save face with the company and fans, and to continue to look like she's trying to help and give the fans what they want, she puts Becky in a match with Charlotte so she can get BACK in the match at Mania. However, she knows Becky is injured and in a weakened state and does not expect Becky to be able to win her match with Charlotte, so the company gets Becky out of the way and they get the match they "really want" with Charlotte/Rousey at Mania. It sounded for a second like Cole was starting to explore this angle on commentary before getting drowned out by what was happening in the ring. But, either way, if you look at each beat of this "story" since the Rumble, it has been very convoluted and unnecessarily complex. 

• Like 1

Well on the plus side at least happy smiling Ronda is gone.

I still hope Dean is leaving. I kinda want to see him hook back up with Sami Calihan. If he stays in the WWE, sure the money will be great. But he'll still be the third guy of the shield. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I still hope Dean is leaving. I kinda want to see him hook back up with Sami Calihan. If he stays in the WWE, sure the money will be great. But he'll still be the third guy of the shield. 

It's too bad Impact probably doesn't have the kind of cash it'd take to entice Ambrose to join oVe. 

On the other hand, I doubt Dean would ever totally fit in with that crew. After all, Dean's had his shots.

Spoiler

dean-ambrose-nsfw-1146083-1280x0.jpeg 

• Like 1

I'll say it - Charlotte being added to Ronda vs Becky is like Debra being added as the Rock's manager. It's fucking pointless and needless. Asuka is going to get a shit opponent (sorry Mandy lovers, but she sucks too) when Asuka vs Charlotte is right there. Not only that, if Charlotte beats Asuka again, you can have Charlotte shit talk Becky about how Charlotte can beat the one person Becky can't and then Asuka can say she's no pawn in this fight and, DAMN, that's months of storylines right there. Instead Charlotte is this weirdo third wheel.

I re-watched that ending segment again and the overbooking is killing this feud and Becky's momentum. It was cool seeing Ronda snap and that felt different than anything else we've seen, but then there's the cutaways to Charlotte, the crowd is just meh for it, and then you have Steph's face all over this shit.

Then lower down on the card you have an angle or feud or whatever involving Lashley, Drew, and Braun and they all feel deader than dead now. It's impressive how they managed to kill any interest in any of these guys and when Drew does step up it's going to look shittier than it would have if he were kept strong this whole time.

YOU HAD DREW MAC LOSE TO FUCKING ZIGGLER AND ZIGGLER IS GONE. HE FUCKING LEFT. ZIGGLER FUCKING SUCKS.

Sometimes I just have no words for how Raw can be awesome like it was last week and then this week show every reason why people are tuning out.

• Like 4

I thought Triple H's delivery was really good, but I just don't need the shooty shoot bullshit, especially the line about Reid.

I did laugh my ass off at the "I was at some of Ric's weddings" bit though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Drew Galloway's indy run was a lot of fun. I loved his work in Evolve; trying to save Evolve from being swallowed by the machine.

Lashley The Destroyer was awesome in Impact. I liked the EC3 feud and the Eddie Edwards feuds a lot. I could have done without America's Top Team, but even that wasn't as bad as how he's being used now.

Corbin has no redeeming qualities. He's not even a heel you want to see get his ass kicked. I just want him to go far, far away and never come back.

Corbin’s best work was as the “Indy hating WWE guy” in NXT.

He really should have spent another 12-18 months down there, maybe had a run with the title, and really learned more about how to get his heat going.

I think he moves really well in the ring. Dude is slick and agile, especially for his size, he just has no meat to his character so his matches and feuds are bland as hell.

Yeah the ring gear is lame. He should dress more like NOD era Crush.

As should most people.

And I also had a soft spot for how he'd call people PUNK in a really forced manner and then menace the camera, but even he wasn't buying it in his heart of hearts (Also ironic given his fondness for punching them at the time).

Man Crushs promos were lame. Having said that, I'd be pretty up for a redo of the Kona Crush character just turning up...crushing shit...axe shredding entrance music. Maybe some air guitar. Maybe the real punks being called out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Then lower down on the card you have an angle or feud or whatever involving Lashley, Drew, and Braun and they all feel deader than dead now. It's impressive how they managed to kill any interest in any of these guys and when Drew does step up it's going to look shittier than it would have if he were kept strong this whole time.

YOU HAD DREW MAC LOSE TO FUCKING ZIGGLER AND ZIGGLER IS GONE. HE FUCKING LEFT. ZIGGLER FUCKING SUCKS.

Sometimes I just have no words for how Raw can be awesome like it was last week and then this week show every reason why people are tuning out.

This really cannot be stated enough. Drew should be the monster heel at the top of the food chain. He should be a monster murdering everyone in his path. If he absolutely must lose to Dolph(which not even Hawkins deserves because DOLPH ZIGGLER IS THE WORST) then DO SOMETHING WITH THAT. But Ziggler is mia and nothing ever came of it. Braun looked like a world beater who we all thought was the new chosen one and now he's holding up the Weekend Update guy by the throat? I mean, sweet merciful fuck, if we wound the clock back to Summerslam and told me Braun vs Drew would main event Mania I would have been all in. Now I don't want to see it in segment ten of Raw. What the hell happened?

• Like 1

Meltzer swears Ambrose still plans to leave... which means he’s already signed an extension.

i never got the McIntyre hype. He’s good, but “top of the food chain?” Nah. Corbin has upside. He does. He desperately needs to be a heater for a top guy right now. He’s dreadfully overexposed. If the rumor about Heyman turning on Lesnar and Rollins turning heel is true, I’d stick Baron with them. Just have him play Diesel to Rollins’ Michaels. Maybe have squash matches. Something. Shit.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

LOL Corbin has upside... Dude, Corbin has negative charisma. He drags down everyone around him. He sucks. And I say this as someone who used to really like the guy, but it's now clear he needed way more time in NXT.

To make matters worse, he looks generic as fuck. Finn clowning on him looking like a TGIFridays manager just exposed how lame his in ring "gear" is. 

Everything about Corbin is awful. 

• Like 4

That bad? I don't know about that. I think you may be taking those "See, CORBIN is why the show sucks" promos a little too much to heart. Corbin is mediocre in basically every single way. The position they're putting him in is what's awful - the endless pointless Braun feud, the GM role, the outfit. But he's salvageable if they just stop digging the hole. Get him out of that gear, give him a couple of months off, bring him back as a bodyguard type for a low-to-midcard heel. Never put him in a main event or semi-main event role again. Problem solved.

There's also the issue that he shouldn't be talking at all, but that's also more of an overall show issue - lots of people they make talk shouldn't be talking.

Anyone notice that they turned Ronda heel, and she wasn't rattled or affected by people booing her? Really weird stuff considering so many people in the Raw thread seemed convinced that she hated being booed so much that she used her political power to have Charlotte inserted into the Mania match. Seemed rational at the time and not spun entirely out of thin air at all. Should I wait here for y'all to come admit you were wrong, or...?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

That bad? I don't know about that. I think you may be taking those "See, CORBIN is why the show sucks" promos a little too much to heart. Corbin is mediocre in basically every single way. The position they're putting him in is what's awful - the endless pointless Braun feud, the GM role, the outfit. But he's salvageable if they just stop digging the hole. Get him out of that gear, give him a couple of months off, bring him back as a bodyguard type for a low-to-midcard heel. Never put him in a main event or semi-main event role again. Problem solved.

We both know they're not going to do any of those things. They won't give him a couple of months off, they won't make him a bodyguard, they think his position is as a focal point of the show, and so on. I was fine with his old gear and if he returned to that then I guess that's a step in the right direction, but they're still going to give him mic time and they're still going to overestimate how high his position on the roster is.

He was awesome as a jobber squasher and as a guy who would talk shit about indy wrestlers. Now he's just a prime example of a bad heel.

His finisher and signature moves are still pretty cool though.

19 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Meh On A Mission

the WhyNot Family

The Natural Born Fillers

Inanity

The Curtain Jerk Mafia

The Blew It Club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think many people hate being a heel,  it looks so fun to do.  I don't believe Ronda was rattled and upset that people were booing her,  I think she was just a little thrown off because they weren't getting the reaction that is expected.  If she is doing heel and getting boo then she gets what is expected from the audience.