DVDVR Message Board

Fighting With My Family

Zakk_Sabbath

Like I was implying, I don't see how the movie could beat the documentary shown on TUBI(station on ROKU/Amazon FireSTick etc).
You get to see the real life dealings-how they lived, how much they truly loved wrestling and more...And Page was way young back then, I think she was signed at 18?! Then she made the roster in a sort amount of time...I don't know the match exactly but does anyone know how old she was when the E retired her?
IMO, what killed her career was hooking up with Alberto Del Rio...hands down.

Thanks AxB, hell that's still young. I dug her character more than alot of women o top at that point in time during her major run.
It's amazing that she didn't even wan to be a worker-it was her brother life long dream. Wonder if the E will ever pick him up?

No, and here's why:

If you're Wrestling Samoa Joe in 2003, for a world title, and your match is only this good you're not a WWE prospect (also, look at him; That's not a McMahon approved size or body type).

That's the wrong Knight brother. Zebra Kid is Roy, the older brother who was in prison at the start of the film. I think he's Ricky's son, but not Saraya's. Zak is the brother played by Jack Lowden, who is the son of both Ricky and Saraya. He's been teaming with Roy as the UK Hooligans for a few years, very fun team, but there's no shot of WWE picking him up

To further muddy the waters, Roy's son is now wrestling...as Ricky Knight Jr. 

And WWE did have at least enough interest in Zak to set up a second tryout and tell him to bulk up/get a better physique for it. Obviously, they still ultimately passed, but there definitely wasn't a hard "end of the road, you have no chance" moment like in the movie.

The documentary is fine, the movie isn't really an adaptation of it though. The end of the documentary is basically the end of Act 1 for the movie.

On 3/15/2019 at 7:32 PM, Brian Fowler said:

And WWE did have at least enough interest in Zak to set up a second tryout and tell him to bulk up/get a better physique for it. Obviously, they still ultimately passed, but there definitely wasn't a hard "end of the road, you have no chance" moment like in the movie.

Well, it wouldn't be hard to assume there might have been one in the movie as well we didn't see: Apparently during the second tryout (and keep in mind, Paige also needed the second tryout in the real world as well), Zak had pitched the same "soccer hooligans" gimmick that he's using in the UK with Roy and WWE thought it was too local to get over worldwide.

Considering that the movie was in the can, NXT-UK started, and they aren't on the NXT-UK radar, it's likely there might have been a "end of the road, you have no chance" moment.

I used to work at a holiday camp where Roy Bevis wrestled every week (as the Zebra Kid). He teamed with another wrestler called the Canary Kid. They wrestled an assortment of heels, always following the same format. Both babyfaces wrestled singles matches against their opponents, with the other heel coming in and cheating to win. After the second match the babyfaces challenged the heels to an "impromptu" tag match after the interval which the faces won sending the kids home happy.

They had a merch stand set-up selling knock-off WWF t-shirts and posters etc, as well as inflatable hammers that the kids could use to beat the heels with then they got thrown out of the ring.