DVDVR Message Board

UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith (3/2/2019) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

It looked like the Woodley people thought was going to fight Darren Till

I said this two or three Usman fights ago...he is a much better version of Colby Covington. Colby got wobbled a little by Demian Maia. That's the one issue with Colby. Usman never really seemed to be out of place as a striker. He isn't the best on the feet, but I don't worry about getting him caught/dropped and moreover his chin seems way more durable. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Man I wish Johnny Walker were a little further in experience. Love that guy. I think he definitely has the tools to challenge for a title, but he's what, at least a year away, right?

Edited by Craig H

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man I wish Johnny Walker were a little further in experience. Love that guy. I think he definitely has the tools to challenge for a title, but he's what, at least a year away, right?

After Jones fights DC and maybe Santos, who's left? The division is so thin that Walker may be fighting for the title before the end of the year.

• Like 1

Just now, Oyaji said:

After Jones fights DC and maybe Santos, who's left? The division is so thin that Walker may be fighting for the title before the end of the year.

It would be Marreta and Reyes if he beats Volkan in a couple weeks. Then, it would be Johnny Walker.

1 minute ago, Setsuna said:

I'm not going to hold this performance against Jones. He knew he had nothing to gain in this fight and everything to lose. Why put yourself in any danger if you don't need to?

I still don't know why people hold the OSP performance against him. He was rusty and still broke the man's orbital bone and arm.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

at my place we almost saw a suplex, we did see a death valley driver, and we talked about if titles could change hands on a DQ. the pro wrestling influence was strong tonight!

i really hope that Askren-Lawler finish gets overturned.

Woodley being completely shut down was crazy. hope he never expects to get a title shot ever again.

Pedro Munhoz KO'ing Garbrandt was exciting as hell. more of this, please!

I can see Woodley getting another title shot, but only if he has a super impressive win over a top level guy to qualify for it. Or if you get one of those situations like when Bisping beat Rockhold for the 185 belt, and then every contender in the division was either coming off a loss to Bisping, a loss to Rockhold, or a loss to someone who then lost to Bisping or Rockhold. If Woodley was the only guy left, he might get back in with Usman. Could very well happen, if Usman demolishes Covington. I don't see Wonderboy, Till or Dos Anjos being ahead of Woodley in the queue, for obvious reasons.

Memo to MMA fighters: You get paid more if you win. If you're losing a fight and then get fouled, make like Remy Bonjasky and stay down. Letting cheaters off only encourages them.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Memo to MMA fighters: You get paid more if you win. If you're losing a fight and then get fouled, make like Remy Bonjasky and stay down. Letting cheaters off only encourages them.

I remember the Humberto Soto vs. Francisco Lorenzo title fight on the Pacquiao-David Diaz undercard several years back where Lorenzo took the easy way out after getting shellacked. He got ripped supremely by the commentators that night for doing it. He didn't even get the title he was competing for because the WBC decided not to give it to him.

After watching Dana's comments and what Anthony Smith said during the post fight presser, it is clear that the overall best decision was Anthony not getting his career Francisco Lorenzo'd where he is railroaded for taking the easy way out. Anthony knows his place in the pecking order and knows his career would benefit getting a title shot when Jon moves up than winning by DQ, getting destroyed by Jon in the eventual rematch, and then be subsequently and unceremoniously buried down the card before being cut. Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard aren't as vindictive as Joe Silva, but that is clearly where this was headed. Anthony knows the UFC could have skipped over him after the performance against Volkan, but gave him a shot to keep Jon busy. He stayed on the UFC's good side, which long term as just another fighter among hundreds is better than one win bonus.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I think both decisions in the Lawler / Askren fight were terrible.  The first to allow the match to continue after Askren was clearly not defending himself after the death valley driver leading to Lawler hitting four or five full force punches to Askren on the ground.  Askren was out, even if only momentarily.  That's a perfectly fine stoppage.  For the actual finish, Askren had the bulldog around the ear / jaw, and was not a choke.  Dean should have realized that it wasn't a choke, and it would have been a "pain" submission and not a "choke" submission.  If the bulldog is on the jaw, Lawler COULDN'T say anything because of the move.  When he moved his hand, he purposefully moved it and gave a thumbs up.  That's when Dean stopped it.  Terrible. 

If he would've stopped it after the DVD we'd be talking about what a spectacular finish.  Instead, we're talkin about this. 

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:25 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

He needs better coaches and not his uncle.

He also needs to not have a chin made of glass.

Speaking of needing better coaches, nearly every woman in her division have solved the riddle of Tecia Torres.  She needs to do something dramatic unless she just enjoys being a gateway opponent.

I think I'm more looking forward to the shit talking on Twitter between Usman and Colvington than I am the actual fight even though that should be a spectacular brawl on paper.

Edited by J.T.