DVDVR Message Board

Fastlane V - 3/10/2019

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder where they go with Asuka for WM. I hope it's not a three way match vs. Mandy and Sonya.

I’m afraid you hit the nail on the head. 

Fun show, Bryan vs Owens vs Ali was nuts, really enjoyed it. 

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Joe vs. Cena at Wrestlemania has to happen. 

This is a feud that’s been right there for them for a while. I think they were gonna run with it last year when one or the other dude got hurt (can’t remember).

Anyway the inevitable Joe promo about being boys in UPW while Cena went Hollywood and Joe took the hard road will be incredible. Cena’s shooty mcshootshoot stuff about “Orlando” notsomuch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

Literally my first thought was Rey Mysterio as #30 and how he got booed out the building and thinking, "They've killed Ali dead as a babyface by putting him in this spot". But to his credit, he got the crowd back after they got over Kofi not being there. To someone else's point there's not a lot of guys who COULD have done that. 

Someone mentioned that if they wanted to pick someone to turn a hostile or uninterested crowd into one that is into a match, Mustafa Ali is literally the first pick. He has done it for 2 years on 205 Live.

• Like 4

This show had some shiny spots ( D-Bry vs Owens vs Ali, US $ way) but there was some questionable shit. Why was Becky vs Charlotte only 8 minutes? What was Asuka vs Rose? The Shield match was what it should have been. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I would prefer Asuka vs. Mandy & Sonya to the rumored Asuka vs. Lacey Evans.  It probably wouldn't be great but it'd be watchable. 

Meanwhile, Asuka/Charlotte II was right there instead of the three way nobody really wanted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it is Nattie/Beth vs. Tamina/Nia at Mania that match will be a car crash that you can't look away from. 

Whenever Bayley and Sasha do finally have their feud I hope Bayley brings up it took her winning the match for Sasha to finally have a successful title defense on the Main Roster. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Meanwhile, Asuka/Charlotte II was right there instead of the three way nobody really wanted.

They really need to build Asuka up as Becky's first challenge and have her destroy someone at WrestleMania.  But they can't even have her kill Mandy Rose of all people, Mandy had to almost literally slip on a banana peel to lose, so yeah, she's probably in some preshow bullshit where Lacey beats her because Asuka gets distracted by Lacey's hat or something stupid like that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Will anyone on commentary mention how Kofi is looking to become the historic, first ever, black WWE Champion? I know they count The Rock (who clearly identifies more as an islander/samoan) and cheat a little by including Booker T and Mark Henry (who won the World title, not the WWE Title with it's history and lineage) but Kofi as an African born, African Amercian WWE Champion would be making some incredible history. It should be Ron Simmons beating Vader level historic/iconic.

I feel like they wouldn't take that path for the simple fact that they'd be devaluing one title as less than the other.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They might not want to make mention of it because it's embarrassing it hasn't happened yet.  They control who becomes champion and since 1963...  99% white dudes. 

It's even more embarrassing when you consider Jinder Mahal has been WWE champion before Kofi. It's not embarrassing because Jinder is Indo-Canadian, but because he's flat out awful.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mark Henry and Booker T were world champions. We can argue semantics about the prestige of the big gold until the cows come home. The fact is it was the focal point of the blue brand. Just like Bryan's belt is. I get it's cool to play identity politics, if you're not advocating for whites obviously.

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

I don't disagree with any of that. But the label of the ''first black world champion'' is kinda flawed when The Rock is African-American and Henry and Book have held *world titles*. 

I'm rooting for Kofi because of all the things you said - his hardships and his right to be there with his outstanding work as of late. That's it.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wanted a three-way. And I still think even with some of the narrative issues in the build (in my opinion it would have been a lot easier and more satisfying if Charlotte won the Rumble and this Fastlane match was Becky earning her way in the first time rather than again, but the rumour is that Vince personally insisted despite Creative's objections to have Becky win the Rumble, and here we are), the match will deliver, especially if they drop the Becky injury angle.

Edited by RIShane
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Someone mentioned that if they wanted to pick someone to turn a hostile or uninterested crowd into one that is into a match, Mustafa Ali is literally the first pick. He has done it for 2 years on 205 Live.

This. Daniel Bryan be another. The crowd only woke up for Bryan turning on the Wyatt Family on RAW in January 2014 and Daniel Bryan brought back the crowd at WrestleMania XXX after the Streak was ended.

• Like 1

Sure, you want it, and the work rate crowd wants it, but a sizable chunk of their live audience just wanted Rousey vs Lynch. It also doesn’t help that Becky Lynch has beaten Charlotte in singles action the last two times on PPV that they met (HIAC/Evolution), and won the Royal Rumble.

Within kayfabe, nobody has more of a claim to a singles match with Rousey than Becky Lynch does. Which I guess is what they were going for originally, with Vince putting Charlotte in the match because REASONS, but they’ve made this story so convoluted now that it’s beyond repair. The pop that Becky gets at Mania for winning will still be huge, and I bet she also pins/submits Rousey, but the narrative won’t be as enjoyable because of the damage done to the story since the Rumble.

• Like 2

Xavier/Big E vs. Rusev/Nakamura was pretty darn good, especially for a kickoff show match.

McMiz vs. Usos was solid. Shane turning heel in the angle felt wrong but whatever I guess.

Asuka/Mandy was decent enough, but also good indicator that Mandy wasn't nearly ready for a ppv singles match.

Skipped Bar/Kofi.

Raw Tag titles match was good stuff. Glad the Revival retained.

The US Title 4-way rematch was just as good as last Tuessday's match, maybe even better.

Sasha/Bayley vs. Nia/Tamina was good outside of a couple of catch moments. I loved the post-match beat down from the Samaons and angle with Beth & Nattie. I assume WM ends up a triple threat.

Bryan vs. Owens vs. Ali was pretty damn good. The crowd may have been cheering for Kofi, but they weren't too hostile to the participants like they were with Bryan's situation in 2014 & 2015. Ali is awesome and continues to earn his current spot.

I kind of loved Charlotte/Becky. Charlotte was awesome constantly mocking Becky, and I thought the hope spots were well setup and done. The finish made sense, but somehow still felt odd.

Shield vs. Corbin/Drew/Lashley was pretty good and a perfect way to end the night on.

The booking on this show was more weird than actively bad. I have no idea how I feel about that outside of it didn't anger me. The matches themselves were generally good with only one or two truly weak matches on the show. A fairly good show for one so poorly built.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So Beth Phoenix.  They can't possibly be setting up a tag match w/Natty and her vs. Tamina & Nia right?   I'm guessing it's a multi team women's titles match which doesn't sound great on paper. 

Felt more like a multi-team set up. I wouldn't be shocked if the IIconics bully their way in pissed at Bayley and Sasha fir not coming to SDL to accept their challenge.

Edited by Eivion