DVDVR Message Board

I'm sure about the Ozeki promotion for Hoshoryu, Hakuoho... let's wait and see. That kid has loads of potential, but it is still like his fourth Basho or something.

He will very likely hit somewhat of a high ceiling soon, it will be very interesting to see how he deals with it. With all the tape, I sure hope injury won't be an issue that early in his career. 

• 1 month later...

Banzuke is up:

Hoshoryu, we already knew was going to be the lone non-kadoban ozeki. Daiesho and Wakamotoharu could get their 33 with 14 wins, but they might need a Zensho Yusho given that there are now currently 3 Ozeki in their rank. Shin Sekiwake Kotonowaka could get 33 with a Zensho of his own and Tobizaru takes his gold star into Sanyaku.

Ura holds his M4 rank despite a Kachi Koshi, probably because they know that Ura is indeed Life; no such explanation of why Takayasu keeps his M7 is so readily apparent. The Kid is now into the single digit Maegashira, above the monosyllabic Endo. Yagayaki and Atamifuji are back in Makuuchi at the expense of Wakatakakage and Bushozan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Terunofuji out once again. This does not bode well. Dude's knees were always a time bomb, but there doesn't seem any hope in sight that he will improve. 

Takakeisho is banged up once more while aiming for the rope, the pessimistic side in me wants to predict kadoban In January after he drops out with a 3-4 record on Day 8 or something. 

Kirishima is really grinding like crazy, had something like 160+ training bouts in 5 or 6 days. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching on twitch when I can (and when I'm awake). There was a couple hardcore matches (not in the plunder sense of course), there was a rematched bout where one of the rikishi had been cut open in the original bout, and he did the rematch all patched up with the bandage practically hanging in front of his eyes.

• 1 month later...

Hatsu 2024 has been really good up until Day 8, and an interesting second week is forming up. Sekiwake Kotonowaka and three rank and file wrestlers lead with 7-1 scores - Asanoyama, Onosho and top division debutant Onosato. Yokozuna Terunofuji, two remaining Ozeki Kirishima (on a Yokozuna bid) and Hoshoryu aswell as the other Sekiwake Daeisho are one win back. 

• 2 months later...

Haru 2024: Makuuchi debutant Takerufuji took the Yusho. Takerufuji was a win ahead on senshuraku and had thus secured at least a play off, but got wheeled to the hospital on Day 14 aswell, so it was unclear whether he would compete against Gonoyama in his final regulation bout. In the end, the leader did show up to pick up the W. 

The win marks a few impressive statistical feats: Takerufuji is the first debutant to win a Makuuchi Yusho since Ryogoku in 1914, as a starter from Jonokuchi (bottom division) he is the fastest Yusho winner, taking a total of 10 Basho for his first top division title. Even if you include those who started in Makushita (so called Makushita tsukedashi), he actually shatters both records - for tsukedashi (15, Wajima) and for bottom division starters (24, Takanahada - later Takanohana). 

Onosato, another young prospect and student of the former Kisenosato, did well once more, staying in contention for a long time this tournament. His 11-4 score mirrors the score in his first Makuuchi tournament, and he is only six Bashos in his career aswell. He will at least be in consideration for the second free sanyaku rank (it will be between him an Atamifuji, I assume). The other one should go to Asanoyama. 

At the lower end of the banzuke, Endo seems to be the next guy riding into the sunset. 5-10 at Maegashira 16 is a definite demotion, Kitanowaka and Shimazuumi are the other two to go down for sure. There are a few maybes aswell, we'll see, I guess. 

• 3 weeks later...