DVDVR Message Board

• 3 weeks later...

Hakuho probably out because of Covid19, Miyagino-beya (his Heya) including Enho & Ishiura tested negative so far, yet likely to be kyujo as a precaution. Wakatakakage, another top division Rikishi, tested positive on New Years Eve and his whole Arashio beya did aswell. 

In September 2020, 19 members of Tamanoi stable tested positive for the virus. The whole stable went kyujo, their ranks got protected. 

As off now, the Basho will take place, admitting up to 5.000 spectators per day (although apparently less tickets were sold). 

Edit: Kakuryu kyujo, nagging back and leg injuries. Oyakata Michinoku: "In March, it's deliver or retire!"... if the Yokozuna even gets until then... 

Edited by ReiseReise

Seven Makuuchi and nine Juryo division wrestlers will be out of Hatsu 2021. Over 60 across divisions (read 66 or 65) Covid related, I counted 97 in total. Sumo association still wants to get going with spectators. Not sure about this, as much as I like sumo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since 2016 Hatsu Basho has provided first time winners. Daeisho is the lucky guy in 2021, but beating all Sanyaku opponents put before him, he is a deserving winner. 

Takakeisho's Yokozuna run ended with a whimper, an 0-4 start, followed by 2-3 over the next 5 matches, November's winner looked sluggish and slow, forfeitting the tournament on the 10th day. 

The two kadoban Ozeki Shodai and Asanoyama went 11-4, securing their ranks and getting runner-up placements, Shodai even managed to stay in contention until the final day, but dropping his last two bouts meant no second Yusho for him. 

Terunofuji's streak is now 13-11 from Sekiwake. A double digit score in his next tournament will resume the fairy tale, as it means the huge Mongolian would reclaim Ozeki. 

Down in Juryo, Ikioi went kyujo for the first time in 1,090 bouts. Considering how battered he was during the last few years, this is amazing. But it will also very likely mean a drop to Makushita. Which in return may very well mean end of the road for the big samurai. 

Apparently, Makushita had a massive 9-Way-Playoff for the tournament win. Need to find that and check it out. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah I don't get it either. Takanosho got promoted to Sekiwake for a lot less, granted that was a situation where someone had to fill the hole, but it's still a really weird snub. Especially because Terenofuji is 15 good days away from moving back to Ozeki.

I wonder if this will be Kakuryu's last tournament. Hopefully Hakuho is actually healthy after all this time off too, obviously he's a great athlete but he's also a human being that was hospitalized with Covid so who fucking knows where his stamina is going to be at.

There's a Japanese article that Hakuho is buying the "Magaki" elder stock, since he's a Japanese citizen now he can do that. I don't think it really means anything is imminent there unless I'm really misunderstanding, but as he's probably going to retire within the next 12 months it makes sense he'd be doing the prep work to stay in the game as a stablemaster.

Kakuryu should be done now. His oyakata put him on the spot, he drops out again... There's no way he gets out off this now. 

The Hakuho kabu buy is probably a preparation for the time after intai, but some Rikishi own a kabu for years before retiring. I'm sure he will go out after the Olympics though, he was hell bent on making it as an active Yokozuna, got snubbed by this shitty pandemic and now has that thing on the horizon. 

Matches get scheduled during the next few hours due to some extra Covid testing after two stable masters got tested positive. 

Hakuho vs Daeisho on Day 1...no messing around this time in matchmaking! 

Edit: They better schedule that Enho vs Ura match up in Juryo.

Tochinoshin seems to be the next in line on the way to intai. I hope he can squeeze out a few tournaments so he can pay every installment fo that hotel he built in Georgia as his pension plan. 

Takayasu seems to have inherited Goeido's ability to impress everyone in training only to drop matches early in the Basho. He's always been prone to early losses since he was part of the upper Makuuchi tier, though. 

Terunofuji will need nine more to get back to Ozeki, today was no easy task, Hokutofuji is a strong and tough opponent. Hopefully his knees will hold. 

Ozeki watch: Takakeisho looked way different than in January, more like his usual self in one bout than in all of his January matches combined. Asanoyama didn't look to be in the fight, but sneaked away with a win. Shodai did have a good escape, but Mitakeumi was in control the whole match. 

It's good to have Hakuho back. I sincerely hope he will complete the tournament and compete well. That being said, today looked like it could have been a redo. Quick, energetic start though! 

Edited by ReiseReise

Good first day. I thought the Meisei/Takayasu match was the highlight. Meisei is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.

I keep waiting for Yutakayama to actually look good again and he did today, really blasted Tsurugisho.

I think the only thing that can stop Terunofuji right now is Terunofuji's own knees.

There seem to be differing interpretations of what was said. Unclear whether it's "final Basho" or "do or die" Basho. But yeah, there isn't much room for both, Hakuho and Kakuryu. I actually expect Kakuryu to retire after the Basho. I don't think there is any goodwill left, which is a shame, really. 

Basho itself looks to be the Terunofuji show so far. 4-0 start, another 6 wins out of 11 matches should seal the deal to get back to Ozeki. 

Speaking of Ozeki: Takakeisho looked mostly good and is 3-1, Asanoyama looked so and so, but is also 3-1. Shodai was quite shaky and is 2-2.

Down in Juryo, Ura is 3-1 and Enho started out with 4-0. Hope they can continue their ways. Enho pulled a great escape on Day 4 against Churanoumi.

Takayasu vs Terunofuji, both 6-1, meet tomorrow. Both share the lead with Chiyonokuni. Quite a few guys at 5-2, among them Asanoyama and Hokutofuji. 

In Juryo, Enho got his first L after a 6-0 start. Ura is 5-2. And tomorrow they meet for their much anticipated match! 

24 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I'm happy Chiyomaru is 6-2 in juryo as well. The good guys are winning.

Hey remember when like a year ago a lot of people were worried Takayasu's career might be over when he had that injury? Yeah, about that... dude looks all the way back, and then some.

Takayasu is on a tear.  I think he is sole possession of the lead.  

I'm also watching Terunofuji.  We'll see if he can get the 10 wins he needs to secure re-promotion.

Poor Tobizaru can't get any traction despite being arguably the most popular guy in the entire basho.  He got out finessed by Terutsuyoshi recently and cannot keep pace with the tourney leaders.