DVDVR Message Board

New Japan Cup 2019

Beech27

So, umm, Ishii/Okada and Tanahashi/Sanada in Sanada's hometown next.

Sanada/Cabana sucked, I hope that I'll never see Cabana in NJPW again.

Also, they kinda teased Taichi/Ospreay in undercard, I wonder how that plays into MSG and Cobb challenging Ospreay? I hope it is not a triple threat with Taichi eating a pin.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

So, umm, Ishii/Okada and Tanahashi/Sanada in Sanada's hometown next.

Sanada/Cabana sucked, I hope that I'll never see Cabana in NJPW again.

Also, they kinda teased Taichi/Ospreay in undercard, I wonder how that plays into MSG and Cobb challenging Ospreay? I hope it is not a triple threat with Taichi eating a pin.

Two triple threats on one card is enough.

Ooof that Cabana/Sanada match was rough. It really should have been a first round Yano/Cabana match with Yano going over if those two just had to have a dueling comedy match. I don't hate Cabana or anything, but he did not need to be anywhere near the quarter-finals. ZSJ/Tanahashi was just okay to me. Honestly the tournament really seems to be stumbling a bit to the finish. Maybe Ishii/Okada can do something special, I hope so anyway.

Edited by quackhell
  • Like 1

I quite liked the Cabana/Yano match.  It was what the crowd wanted and was very amusing to see.  But while I really like Cabana I'll agree that he shouldn't have gone this far.  And I haven't seen his match with Sanada yet but I can't see that going well.  Much like with Yano and DBS Jr. it just doesn't seem right to me.

I'm currently catching up on the Cup matches and am in the middle of Sanada/Suzuki which so far is pretty great.  I generally liked the tournament so long as I avoid matches which to me are obvious stinkers (such as any Yoshi-Hashi match)  I really took quite a liking to Archer/Ospreay as it was not just a great big man/little man match but also made me really like how far Archer has come.  I still remember him as Lance Hoyt in TNA and didn't like him at all.  This is admittedly the first I've seen of him since then save for a random tag match.  But while I'm not sure if he's been this good for quite awhile or not I could go for of his stuff going forward.  I know he's teaming with DBS Jr. so I'll have to keep any eye out.

• Like 2

Just hope Juice vs Chase isn't buried by the NJC final.   That was an incredibly good match.  Juice and Chase have ridiculously good chemistry.   It felt like a great WCW match from 2019 if WCW was still around.

Dreading Juice/Fale though, Fale is so terrible these days.  Juice might not be great enough to drag something out of him.

Edited by alstein

7 hours ago, alstein said:

Just hope Juice vs Chase isn't buried by the NJC final.   That was an incredibly good match.  Juice and Chase have ridiculously good chemistry.   It felt like a great WCW match from 2019 if WCW was still around.

Dreading Juice/Fale though, Fale is so terrible these days.  Juice might not be great enough to drag something out of him.

Reading the results, I think I might skip Juice vs. Chase because of the overbooking. I would also dread Juice/Fale. Fale is a 350 pound slug.

I'll definitely check out Okada/Sanada later.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Juice/Chase did have a lot of shenanigans.  It was a Memphis style match with NJPW-style workrate.   It was a match for folks who love that hybrid, and it's probably my favorite style of wrestling when done right, and this was done totally right.   Juice does best against cheating heels, I want a Juice/Taichi feud at some point now so much.

• Like 1

Liked the semis quite a bit better than the finals. For such an athletic guy, Rainmaker swing dancing just doesn’t suit Sanada at all, and even Okada seemed a bit less sharp than usual. 

I can’t imagine Fale beats Juice, so I wonder if this is building (back) to White challenging him. The other BC guys couldn’t do it, they’re the international faction, and Jay will need a belt after Okada takes the IWGP. 

I liked Chase/Juice for what it was and I hope that match with Fale doesn't happen.

Honestly what irks me about Sanada's submission is not that it looks bad, but that it doesn't really make sense how he uses it. Like I can kinda get it that he does moonsault after it because lets say he wants to finish the match in style. But here at one point he released Okada and just went for a pin. I don't really get it.

Other than that I liked what I saw and Okada desperately holding Sanada's leg was top stuff.

But then, I'm not sure whats next. I don't really see many options at the moment for another Okada's title reign, but at the same time I can't see him losing at MSG either.

Ibushi beats Naito at MSG, Naito beats Okada at Dominion* showing Okada is still not back to FULL RAINMAKER yet. Like has he added anything to his repertoire other than his exposed legs? What's really changed other than reverting to his old appearance and music?

*Is there enough time to build Naito up for a challenge in two months? AND do they want to do a match then that will likely end up being a Tokyo Dome main event?

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Ibushi beats Naito at MSG, Naito beats Okada at Dominion* showing Okada is still not back to FULL RAINMAKER yet. Like has he added anything to his repertoire other than his exposed legs? What's really changed other than reverting to his old appearance and music?

*Is there enough time to build Naito up for a challenge in two months? AND do they want to do a match then that will likely end up being a Tokyo Dome main event?

If that's the case, who challeges Jay at Dominion?  I'd like it to be Minoru as his last hurrah as a main eventer- especially given how their G1 match went.

Edited by alstein

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I'm not sure that Naito needs to be built up for anything. He probably could have just declared that he is going to challenge White at MSG and that NJ Cup winner can take a hike, and crowd would have chanted "NAITO! NAITO! NAITO!".

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to watching the Finals. Okada and Sanada imo have like a Flair-Sting thing going. They can not have a bad match together. The chemistry is off the charts.

• Like 1