DVDVR Message Board

New Japan Cup 2019

Beech27

Flying from Austraila to Japan is probably less of a hassle. I also imagine that at some point NJPW will want to do more shows in Australia too. So sounds like a win/win for both parties. Thou I haven't actually seen anything with him and maybe he is bad?

Anyway, Rocky made sure to tag in LA Dojo in the announcement because Nicholls trained in its earlier iteration. And you know, it probably is simply an ad for their current Dojo. On the other hand, since I'm a bit stupid, it could also hint at TJP since he also trained in it and got released by WWE recently.

I remember TMDK peaking their heads in Noah when things began going downhill for them and I don't recall them ever having any noteworthy matches.

The Mighty weren't good in NXT and Thorne isn't exactly setting the world on fire there at the moment. Their best match was a match against 1-2 recently, but that's mostly due to 1-2 being one of the funnest tag teams in the world and them being able to get a good match out of virtually any tag team them have been paired against.

Not exactly a big pick up for New Japan or anything, but like Juice, let's hope Nicholls can turn things around career wise.

Couple more things about the brackets:

Tanahashi will not only work Shota, but likely Finlay as well before he, probably, gets eliminated by Ibushi. So its kinda cool that he won't have to kill himself here and at the same time Umino and Finlay will benefit from having matches against him.

Doesn't left bracket look way too easy for Okada? Like sure, Ospreay is getting pushed now and Ishii can upset anyone, but it just doesn't compare to what is going on on the other side where, in kayfabe, there are like 8 people who could win this. I don't know, I suspect that Okada isn't going to make the finals.

Dave mentioned that NJPW intends to use Ibushi against Ospreay so maybe thats going to be the finals? Ibushi wins and a rubber match at that upcoming UK show?

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

So Nicholls got out of his WWE contract to go back to Australia because his kid was about to be born...then signs with NJPW? Wow.

Well working NJPW, he wouldn't have to relocate to Japan like he had to with WWE, so he'd work a week or two then go home for a while before the next tour (and even then it's unlikely he'd be in every tour). Seems like a fair choice

• Like 1

Finlay was pulled from the tournament, probably his injury is a bit worse than initially expected.

Not sure who is going to replace him? Saw people saying Yoshida, but idea here clearly was for Finlay to pick up a win and I'm not sure if NJPW wants Yoshida to beat Tenzan at this point.

TMDK worked really hard in NOAH, and by the end of their time there, were one of the highlights of the promotion at that point in time.  I have no idea what happened in NXT, I expected a lot more...it wasn't only the injuries, they also somehow just couldn't connect.   I'm assuming Nicholls was still tight with Rocky Romero, as he and Shane Haste/Thorne often appeared on Talk'n Shop, despite working for a different promotion.  Thus, here we are.

Honestly, TMDK always seemed far more suited for New Japan's style to me, but I certainly can't blame them for wanting to give it a go in the WWE.  Mikey's always struck me as far better as a tag partner than a single, but we shall see.  At the very least, it's a fresh start.  

• Like 2

Sucks for Finlay to get hurt at this point and have to give up his spot where he was gonna probably gonna get a singles win in a tournament. Wonder if they'll just find someone from CMLL or ROH to plug into his spot. I'd be ok with bringing Oka back from excursion as well as long as he dropped his revpro gimmick, I always thought he looked solid as a young lion.

Looking forward to the tournament, surprised they have Naito and Ibushi in the first round but I figure it's to give Ibushi a big win and set up him taking the IC belt this relatively soon. 

I do like that I can see a path for Yano to make the semi finals, I figure the plan is either a second round comedy match between him and Cabana or a hoss-y match between Makabe and DBS jr, if they go comedy route we could realisticly get Yano/Suzuki in that finals of that block and we know that Yano has always been a thorn in Suzuki's side. Maybe we'll get Yano main eventing MSG, I'd watch that.

At least now we know he's for sure not winning the NJ Cup!
Mikey Nicholls returns to EPW, his original home promotion, on 4/6 in Perth.(Same day as MSG)

Ibushi over Okada in the finals in what assuredly will not be the first time they meet, so it won't happen. I will be shockingly incorrect. Still, there are some really good potential match-ups if most of the favourites win out but an upset or two could change that. Mike Elgin vs. JYUUUSU final because we need white people to headline American shows.

Edited by Oyaji

Was up early so I caught the pre-stream video with OFFICER LIGER arresting Taguchi for illegally streaming NJPW and then doing a wacky song and dance. Please tell me this is on Youtube somewhere. 

Taguchi trolling Tenzan with the MONGOLIAN HEADLOCK makes me hope they bring Tenzan for the MSG. I know he's shot, but the comedy of 15,000 fans hissing like snakes as he does his stuff would be so worth it.

Taichi/Honma was the worst NJPW singles match I've ever seen.  All Honma's fault, he should retire.  You could see Taichi working light as a feather on purpose and Honma being unable to physically do anything. 

Juice/Chase was an 80s match, for good and bad.  Loved the old Tommy Young spots.  Should not have been right after the Taichi/Honma stinker.

Ishii/Nagata was awesome.

That Juice upset really paves the way for a Taichi/YOSHI-HASHI quarterfinal.  Hard to see Chase stringing together 2 big upsets, unless there's a big Chase push coming, which would be...weird.  Both of those guys beating veterans with their submission finishes was probably notable.

Juice/Chase for the US title is really going to put butts in the seats on the next US tour.

Ishii/Nagata was exactly what I wanted it to be.

Edited by EVA