DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 1: Ngannou vs. Velasquez (2/17/2019) - Phoenix, AZ (Talking Stick Resort Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

man, when Barao was on his way up and on the top, he was one of my favorite fighters to watch. 

once he lost that title, he fell off harder than anybody i've seen. he hasn't won in 2 1/2 years. he's 2-6 AFTER TJ beat him for the belt. he's missed weight a couple of times, and was admitted to the hospital once due to weight cutting. i think it's time to take a LONG time off and then re-evaluate if this is something he can still do on this level.

Maybe it's only for this show, but ESPN+ starts recording from the pre show run throughs. Apparently, I went way too far back with the marker and found some production guy doing the Buffer intros in an effort to watch Albu/Whitmire. 

11 minutes ago, twiztor said:

man, when Barao was on his way up and on the top, he was one of my favorite fighters to watch. 

once he lost that title, he fell off harder than anybody i've seen. he hasn't won in 2 1/2 years. he's 2-6 AFTER TJ beat him for the belt. he's missed weight a couple of times, and was admitted to the hospital once due to weight cutting. i think it's time to take a LONG time off and then re-evaluate if this is something he can still do on this level.

This is it for him at the UFC level. This was likely his last opportunity especially since he was buried on the prelims. They put him against a flawed fighter in Luke Sanders for reason, most likely hoping he can get a finish. And it looked that way until he got caught.

I think the weight cuts took so much out of him and the fact he took some beatings along with that didn't help his cause. He will likely have some confidence booster set ups outside UFC and end up in PFL, RIZIN, or Bellator.

Realistically, that has to be it for Renan Barao in the UFC right? He went 0-4 and 1-6 in seven fights. Also, he's not losing to top guys. Now, he's losing to borderline cab drivers and Becky Lynch's ex.

This has to be one of the most meteoric clines for a former UFC champion in history. On par with Johny Hendricks.

I mean when Barao was on top, he looked like a beast and close to unbeatable. 

Cain was throwing his strikes from way too far out. He was looking for that takedown after getting close and Francis got him off immediately. Then, it was over from there.

Never seen someone just outmuscle Cain like that even if the fight was sub 30 seconds.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

What a tremendously depressing weekend of MMA.

I even watched the Invicta card. Everything awful that could have happened did, four cards in a row.

I thought tonight's card was pretty good. Holtzman vs. Lentz was fun. Andrea Lee looked like she should challenge for the belt in a couple fights. Manny Bermudez had a nice looking sub. Aljamain Sterling won the Battle of New York. Luque vs. Barberena was fight of the year stuff. Kron Gracie ended the Gracie Zuffa curse. Paul Felder had another fun fight like he always does and called out the winner of Barboza/Gaethje which is happening in his hometown. Francis Ngannou took the title of scariest HW from Cain. I can't say that about any of the other cards I saw this week (ShoBox, TR Boxing on ESPN, PBC on Fox, and both Bellators).

• Like 4