DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If this was RIZIN, people would be calling it the greatest card ever.

Ooooh, you just brought up something that annoys the hell out of me. Rizin has all the Pride / Heros / Dream /etc... nostalgia seekers drooling over what are sometimes plainly middling or worse cards. Their cup of noodles mascot or Gabi Garcia threatening elderly women will get more buzz than this card and that bothers me.

I do enjoy Rizin shows and loved the hell out of Pride and all but those days are gone and they aren't coming back. Likewise, I think One's attempt here to build a substantial Japanese fanbase that they can profit from is going to crash and burn hard.

At this point, I'd have to consider myself a diehard One supporter because I've seen them do some great things in this region. Chatri's hyperbole and the organisation's lack of transparency on all issues aside, I really want them to succeed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Umm, the main event of this weekend's Glory fight was insane. Doumbe knocked down the champ a second time in the 2nd round and ran out of the ring to celebrate thinking it was over. The referee had to stop the count, allowing Harut Grigorian almost a minute to recover. Thankfully for Doumbe, he was able to put Harut down for keeps shortly after the fight recommenced.

14 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Umm, the main event of this weekend's Glory fight was insane. Doumbe knocked down the champ a second time in the 2nd round and ran out of the ring to celebrate thinking it was over. The referee had to stop the count, allowing Harut Grigorian almost a minute to recover. Thankfully for Doumbe, he was able to put Harut down for keeps shortly after the fight recommenced.

Have you seen Meksen vs. van Soest II? Going by the twitter reaction, it sounds like it being as close as the first fight.

Soren Bak vs Morgan Charriere from Cage Warriors 103 in Copenhagen was a hell of a fight. Give it a watch if you've got Fight Pass.

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching the Bellator bouts between bits and pieces of various March Madness games and saw Anatoly Tokov vs. Gerald Harris. I know Tokov was the prohibitive favorite as the prospect and cream rising to the top and all that jazz but I dunno how Gerald Harris did not have this man completely unconscious. Gerald may have knocked him out and woke him back up at least two times during that sequence. Then, Tokov stands up and recovers to come back and get Harris on the ground to end the round. The second round starts and Tokov hurts Harris with a body kick and an overhand right before tapping Gerald with a front choke. Granted Tokov looks like Hugh Jackman as the Wolverine physique wise and probably wouldn't pass a USADA test or any reputable PED test that holds up under scrutiny, Tokov would be someone to push if you want a Russian star. 

As far as the LFA card in Dallas tonight, from what I can gleam, I expect Casey Kenney to be in the UFC soon and probably Ramiz Brahimaj since he is a Fortis MMA guy. That camp is the new Syndicate MMA as far UFC giving them love as well as promoting and signing their top fighters.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Too damn hype.... too damn hype. 11:30 PM Saturday but I need to get to bed at a reasonable hour and this show is probably going to go on a century give or take a year.

Just watched the Aung La/Hasegawa fight. My fucking God, Hasegawa with one of the gutsiest efforts I've ever seen. That third round was absolutely insane and then after that Ken was basically shambling forward on will alone. 

• Like 2

I was in Bangkok for the past week on business so didn't have time to post, but what Oyaji said 100%. I was going to create a thread for the show with a bit of a preview and was going to link that same fight. Probably fight of the year for One Championship though I'm admittedly a bit biased when it comes to Aung La. Going into that fight I knew it would be one of his toughest yet, which is a pretty low bar when you look at some of the other opponents he's been matched up against, but Hasegawa really brought it. Ugly KO at the end too.

There are not a lot of options at middleweight and above in One so while I'd rather them not run this one back so quickly, it does make sense given the show's in Japan and the drama in the first fight. Still a toss-up fight too, imo. It also looks like they're aiming for Aung La vs. Vera depending on the outcome here.

Prelims start at 1:00 pm here, main card at 4:00 pm so I don't think I'm going to get a lot done on my Sunday. Probably skip the UFC show and watch that tomorrow night after the One event.

This card though :

LW Title: Eduard Folayang (21-6) vs. Shinya Aoki (42-8)
WFLW Title: Jingnan Xiong (13-1) vs. Angela Lee (9-0)
MW Title: Aung La N Sang (24-10) vs. Ken Hasegawa (16-3-1)
BW Title: Kevin Belingon (20-5) vs. Bibiano Fernandes (22-4)
FlyW Quarterfinal: Demetrious Johnson (27-3-1) vs. Yuya Wakamatsu (10-3)
LW Quarterfinal: Eddie Alvarez (29-6) vs. Timofey Nastyukhin (12-4)
160 KB: Andy Souwer (160-21-1) vs. Yodsanklai Fairtex (201-71-4)

Pre-lims
FlyW Quarterfinal: Danny Kingad (11-1) vs. Senzo Ikeda (12-6-1)
FlyW Quarterfinal: Kairat Akhmetov (25-2) vs. Reece McLaren (12-5)
135 MT: Rodtang Jitmuangnon (253-40-10) vs. Hakim Hamech (43-8)
135 KB: Hiroki Akimoto (20-0) vs. Joseph Lasiri (31-5)
WSW: Mei Yamaguchi (18-11-1) vs. Kseniya Lachkova (10-2)
FW: Anthony Engelen (8-5) vs. Garry Tonon (3-0)
145 MT: Panicos Yusuf (36-6) vs. Mohammed Bin Mahmoud (50-8)
WW: Chang Min Yoon (0-1) vs. Bala Shetty (0-2)

Pretty much everything from Engelen-Tonon up I'm looking forward to. Gary Tonon has been neat to watch transition to mma. If I had to guess, I think his ceiling is going to be pretty low but he always goes out there to test himself on his feet first before finishing with the expected sub. If my memory serves correctly, he had more trouble than I thought he should have finishing his last opponent which kind of lessened my opinion on how far he could go in the sport. Still someone to keep an eye on.

Rodtang is a star and super fun to watch in the ring. The FlyW tournament fights are definitely worth a watch from the prelims as well.

Yod/Souwer is happening about 10 years too late but I'd be lying if I wasn't hyped for it. It's like one of the Bellator main events if both men could still go. I fully expect Alvarez and DJ to look good and finish both opponents. I think Alvarez loses in the semi-finals though later this year though (to Tynanes, I think?).

Bellingon/Bibi won't be an action packed fight but those two are so evenly matched. I think Angela Lee takes her first loss here and Folayang/Aoki is a really straight forward style vs. style fight that I think finishes within the first two rounds either way. I'm going to say that some spinny-Team Lakay shit finishes this fight (ie. either Folayang lands and drops Aoki or Aoki takes him down off it and gets the sub).

So there's my ramblings on the show. So hyped.

• Thanks 1

I'm seeing the ads for the New Era card during the March Madness games and they run through the top fights, but they don't list a time for the event. Maybe I missed it, but that's kinda critical if you want folks to watch. I'm thinking they don't want to turn off people by letting them know it's starting at midnight early Sunday morning. However, you need to let them know this is a must see event no matter the time. To me, the ad seems a bit scattered.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm seeing the ads for the New Era card during the March Madness games and they run through the top fights, but they don't list a time for the event. Maybe I missed it, but that's kinda critical if you want folks to watch. I'm thinking they don't want to turn off people by letting them know it's starting at midnight early Sunday morning. However, you need to let them know this is a must see event no matter the time. To me, the ad seems a bit scattled.

Ok just saw it again at the very tail end of the coverage for the tonight. The time is there, but they're not stressing it. Also, I'm not sure which time they have listed. BJPenn.com has a time of 2:30 am eastern for the prelims and 4:30 a.m. eastern for the main card. The time on the ad is 6 a.m. and it doesn't say if that is the prelims or the fights shown in the ad. 

Love me some Danaher death squad guys, so I will definitely keep an eye out for Tonon. Danaher on Rogan's podcast last year was very interesting, as the former is kind of creepy and surreal in his ultra calm pattern of speech and demeanor especially when he's talking about destroying a guy's knee. And yeah, wow, Rodtang... Just watched that fight with Wielzen and gotdamn can that guy rip. I can't imagine taking that sort of punishment on a weekly basis. 

Bibiano and Belingon was one of my favourite fights from last year and super highly skilled compared to the battle of wills that Hasegawa/Aunga La turned into.

How shot is Aoki? I enjoyed the bit of him I've seen in DDT but, uh, yeah... that's not MMA. 

edit: oh holy shit. Unless Shinya gets Folayang down immediately, that will end very badly for Aoki. My God is Folayang's striking fun to watch.

Edited by Oyaji

Hard to say about Aoki. I thought he was totally shot and/or mentally checked out when he fought Folayang the first time but I also didn't realise how good Eduard was at that time. The Askren fight was a bit dumb for obvious reasons and since then he's looked good against low-mid tier competition by One's standards. His win over Ev Ting, who is a decent fighter, was impressive in how quickly Aoki got him out of there.

Team Lakay is one of my favourite stories from the organisation though. Like who saw an unknown camp in the Philippines emerging as one of the best camps in Asia? Eduard Folayang, Geje Eustacio, Kevin Bellingon, Danny Kingad and Joshua Pacio all represent Team Lakay and they're all in or around title contention and could be competitive in any organisation.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ok just saw it again at the very tail end of the coverage for the tonight. The time is there, but they're not stressing it. Also, I'm not sure which time they have listed. BJPenn.com has a time of 2:30 am eastern for the prelims and 4:30 a.m. eastern for the main card. The time on the ad is 6 a.m. and it doesn't say if that is the prelims or the fights shown in the ad. 

The prelims should start at 2:30 am eastern time, main card at 5:30 am eastern time. I have no idea which ad you are referencing but all will be available on either the app or the youtube channel (though I've heard that might be region blocked in the States). The youtube video usually stays up for at least a couple weeks so you should be able to wake up Sunday morning and watch the youtube video.

34 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

The prelims should start at 2:30 am eastern time, main card at 5:30 am eastern time. I have no idea which ad you are referencing but all will be available on either the app or the youtube channel (though I've heard that might be region blocked in the States). The youtube video usually stays up for at least a couple weeks so you should be able to wake up Sunday morning and watch the youtube video.

For anyone in the states who has been watching the NCAA Men's basketball tournament on the Turner owned channels (truTV, TBS, and TNT), the spot below has been airing several times during the commercial breaks. 

The version I last referenced has more random B roll footage of Alvarez and DJ inserted at the beginning and the final title screen has a time of 6 am. However, it doesn't emphasize or explain your viewing options other than like a Bleacher Report logo. You just kinda have to figure out what all this means. For tonight's sweet sixteen games on TBS, this spot had to be seen by several million people. I would be bombarding them with info on how to watch and cut out some of the highlight reel/rundown stuff. I would guess they have no clue who Shinya Aoki or Angela Lee are. They start off with DJ and Eddie and then run down fights that coming off after them on the card. Hence, why I said the ad above (at least the version I saw) was scattered.

While the Girtz/Awad fight did not live up to the Meltzer hype, it was very fun and makes me question who else in MMA pretty much throws exclusively haymakers like Brandon Girtz does. I remember his fight with Campos in 2017 being one of the under the radar fights of the year too.

Eddie has always gotten touched up so he's never a sure thing. 

Wakamatsu gave a good showing in the first round. Was strange to see DJ without Hume in his corner.

The crowd sounded like it had a great deal of foreigners in it with them being far more boisterous than a typical Japanese MMA audience.

Still only just starting the Bibiano fight but it's been fun! Hopefully ONE doesn't go bankrupt with all the money they have been throwing around and is in it for the long haul. 

Edited by Oyaji

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Eddie has always gotten touched up so he's never a sure thing. 

Wakamatsu gave a good showing in the first round. Was strange to see DJ without Hume in his corner.

The crowd sounded like it had a great deal of foreigners in it with them being far more boisterous than a typical Japanese MMA audience.

Still only just starting the Bibiano fight but it's been fun! Hopefully ONE doesn't go bankrupt with all the money they have been throwing around and is in it for the long haul. 

Isn't the long haul usually until the person or persons backing it decide it doesn't make any sense to lose more money? I can't imagine any viable (potentially) profitable #2 MMA organization backing out of the game. If you get in the black, you're thinking you can get a major TV deal in the United States at some point and not like the IFL on MyNetworkTV, BodogFight on ION, or UFC on Fox Sports Net in the early aughts. Otherwise, you're just running shows to run shows.

Worst case (or best case tbh) scenario, some money mark is willing to take it off your hands by overspending on its assets.

I had no idea Jordan Johnson wasn't in the UFC anymore. Tis a surprise.

I guess the UFC isn't desperate enough at 205 anymore and his anti charisma didn't persuade them to keep him aboard. He should be good enough to win a PFL title though.

• 4 weeks later...

Really awkward ending to that Bellator show.

Rory and Fitch go to a majority draw with (48-46 Fitch, 47-47 X 2 ) so Rory advances because he's the champion. To be clear, I'm fine with that rule because they did need to add some sort of championship clause in a tournament to deal with draws. However, Rory sounds one foot out the fight game door in the post fight interview, stating God has a plan and he's not sure he has the drive to hurt people anymore. BJM plows ahead anyway, hyping the Neiman Gracie fight while Rory sounds uncommitted going forward. Just weird all around.