DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (The Battle of Britain...in Connecticut Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

I haven't been following RIZIN closely this year as my interest has shifted elsewhere, but I will say Tokoro vs. Ota is the fight I'm hyped up to watch the most.

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

holy shit how? Was she hospitalized or something or is it just a case of this is the state of women's lightweight?

Apparently, Cotton was indeed hospitalized according to the MMAJunkie tweet I saw.

There is only a handful of a female fighters above 145 pounds that I know that have * > 1 fight. Jozette Cotton is one of them. She fought as high as 168 in Bellator. Her last fight was a boxing match just before the pandemic in March, and she weighed in at a smidge under 160. So I'm safely assuming we got some serious quarantine weight gain here.

24 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, that absolutely sucks. I worry for Harrison in that she's got no legitimate competition and she may not feasibly be able to make 145 without changing her body. 

I'm more worried about Shields because if they plan to do Harrison vs. Shields at some point, it should be way down the line. I feel Shields is one of those rare female athletes you hardly see in combat sports. The problem in boxing was there was only one girl around her weigh range (154-168) that knew how to fight in Hanna Gabriels. That was her toughest fight, but she still won it clearly because she is a punching machine for a girl her size and doesn't tire.

In MMA, I think she would have the punching power that wasn't apparent in boxing because girls aren't going to walk through her punches like a Hanna Gabriels could or some of the girls she fought who were just in there to survive. If she sticks with it, she could be really, really good or even great. I think she could make a perfect foil for Kayla Harrison. Plus, PFL has to get some utility out of Harrison who by far their biggest "homegrown" name. Two time Olympic gold medalist vs. two time Olympic gold medalist in two separate sports would be a hell of get for a company like PFL that's only seen as a feeder organization right now. Plus, since both girls are from the midwest, you can put that in Ohio or Michigan when fans come back and actually...you know...sell tickets. 

Either way, if and when that fight comes together, she is going to be fighting basically blown up bantamweights before then. The person who gave her some resistance in that tournament was Larissa Pacheco who got absolutely demolished in two UFC fights. She also got waxed by Macy Chiasson on TUF. To her credit, Pacheco at least looked like a formidable fighter in PFL and was able to upset Sarah Kaufman to get a rematch against Harrison in the tournament finals. Pacheco seemed like the perfect opponent for Harrison at that stage of her career IMO. She is a decent submission grappler who was somewhat okay standing. Harrison knew she couldn't fuck around and do whatever she wanted. I think that ended up being a better option for the finals than Kaufman because I never have thought that highly of Kaufman. There is a reason I picked Valentina over her the moment they made that fight for Valentina's UFC debut, which will be exactly five years ago three days from now. That was EASY money. So short of Harrison doing something really stupid and falling into a submission, that was going to be thumping on the part of Harrison. It would have been a slightly bigger name than Pacheco, but that's about all.

To be honest, I would rather her fight more Pachecos than Jozette Cottons. I dunno if you saw when Kayla Harrison actually fought Jozette Cotton, but the effort Cotton put forth was pitiful. If she fought just a little bit worse, the commission would have been well within their rights to withhold her purse for possibly fight fixing/throwing the fight. It was that bad. For that reason alone, I dunno why Titan FC would book Cotton to fight her again because it wasn't out of the realm of possibility she would miss weight. If didn't show up to really fight the FIRST TIME and got beat up, what makes anyone believe she would be enthusiastic for a second fight (against a more seasoned fighter than she fought the first time, mind you)? This to me screams she was hard up for cash during the pandemic (not her fault BTW but just stating it for the record), she thought she would be fine because the Harrison camp would likely accept a catchweight of around 165-170 and a piece of Cotton's purse of course, and she couldn't even get close to that to the point where she ended up in the hospital. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jiji said:

Uh, how did I miss KSW doing a bareknuckle show WITH JOSH BARNETT on it recently? lol, what is going on?

I saw something about that but I don't think I was paying close enough attention.

Anyway, Takanori Gomi is still fighting in 2020:

RIZIN coming through. $25 with English commentary, however they have not announced who the announces will be.

Also, everyone if Miyuu pulls off the upset and ends the year with a title:

Michael_Jordan_crying.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The English commentary on Rizin sounds like it was recorded over Skype on a 2005 Dell laptop using McDonald's wifi. I can't believe they ran with that. I'm just checking out the Miyuu and Horiguchi fights for now and will watch the rest of the 15 hour show tomorrow and/or Saturday. 

Miyuuuu. ? I hope she doesn't retire and is a special attraction once or twice a year. She's still clearly in amazing shape and can beat lesser fighters with her wrestling. But she tapped like 3 times before they stopped the fight. Fuck.

Kyoji looked back to his very best, but was more cautious, and that's a good thing. He was a little too loosey goosey last time with his in and out karate movement. Here he took his time, feinted lots (Mike Brown in his corner shouting both those instructions bb) and opened with fierce calf kicks. The calf kicks had an obvious effect and that opened up the head. Perfect! 1 of 2 ain't bad for my favourites. Also, "YEAAAAH! EASY FIGHT!" lol ? Those body pillows are ridiculous haha.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:08 PM, Jiji said:

The English commentary on Rizin sounds like it was recorded over Skype on a 2005 Dell laptop using McDonald's wifi. I can't believe they ran with that. I'm just checking out the Miyuu and Horiguchi fights for now and will watch the rest of the 15 hour show tomorrow and/or Saturday. 

re: commentary- there was a slight delay between the action and the call. Joe sounded mostly fine, but his mic did cut out in the intro to the main event.  Trigg sounded like ass. muffled (either due to a bad mic, mic placement, or bad acoustics in the room he was in?) and his volume changed throughout the night.  off putting but not a deal breaker for me.

the fights were great tho! i wish there were more regular Rizin events, but also that they were shorter. i think this one clocked in at ~7.5 hours not including the intermissions. and most of the fights went quick! that's the main reason i don't watch these live anymore.

more events would give them a chance to build more draws, which they sorely need. i know during the pandemic there's no way to do that, but once we're on the other side i hope they can make some moves. losing your champs to the ufc ain't helping.

Wouldn't running regularly mean more costs, which they can't really afford?

edit: I do agree with your point beside that potential hiccup though. 10-12 events a year would be great. Get King Reina back in. She cleans up in Jewels! Give her some of those jabronis to beat on the big stage. PROFIT. Their women's divisions should have a special subdivision of King and Miyuu squashing neophytes.

Edited by Jiji

Problem is a lot of these smaller male JMMA fighters aren't draws. IIRC RIZIN biggest draws were Tenshin, Juju Auclair and RENA. Also, RIZIN doesn't really have the finances to run shows regularly as they usually run big shows and those cost a ton to put together like @Jiji said.

HIROYA says he would accept a rematch with Shibatar which I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced for RIZIN 27 in March.

LFA has removed Pat Miletich from the upcoming broadcast of LFA 97

LFA says it is just for this show as they continue to investigate Miletich's involvement in the Jan 6 coup attempt

Miletich says he has been fired... so fired.

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

LFA has removed Pat Miletich from the upcoming broadcast of LFA 97

LFA says it is just for this show as they continue to investigate Miletich's involvement in the Jan 6 coup attempt

Miletich says he has been fired... so fired.

BTW Rippa, can you close this thread, the previous USADA thread, and the old boxing thread (v.7)? Can you also pin the following threads including the new version of this thread above: