DVDVR Message Board

THE OTHER RANDOM FOOTBALL LEAGUES THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Elway sure knew how  to pick em.

But, hey, he took a flyer on unknown scrub Peyton Manning so his legacy is secure.  Never mind the 500 other failures.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

But, hey, he took a flyer on unknown scrub Peyton Manning so his legacy is secure.  Never mind the 500 other failures.

He's made some mistakes but he really put the Broncos in a tough spot when he drafted Lynch and hired Vance Joseph in the same year. He's had good drafts and picked some great players, but that off-season put us behind for sure.

18 hours ago, KidNatural said:

He's made some mistakes but he really put the Broncos in a tough spot when he drafted Lynch and hired Vance Joseph in the same year. He's had good drafts and picked some great players, but that off-season put us behind for sure.

Wasting a 1st round pick on Tim Tebow didn't help either.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Was Tebow was before Elway? Maybe I'm wrong time really flies Tebow feels like its 20 years ago in my head.  

Dang, you're right.  Elway was the year after the Tebow draft - probably not a coincidence.

Edited by Tabe

On 2/23/2022 at 12:35 PM, RIPPA said:

The first five rounds today where the wide receivers and I legit think the only one I have heard of is Vinny Papale (who is Vince Papale's kid)

I know Texas ex Brennan Eagles was taken by someone.

• 4 weeks later...

Three-point conversions, an alternative option for the onside kick and a best-of-three-play shootout in overtime are among the different rules for the revitalized USFL.

The new league released its rules Wednesday, explaining several twists to the traditional rules in the NFL and college football.

Scoring teams have a third option to attempt an extra point. A successful scrimmage play from the 10-yard line equals three points.

A second option to retain possession after scoring will be converting a fourth-and-12 from a team's 33.

In overtime, each team's offense will alternate plays against the opposing defense from the 2. Each successful scoring attempt will receive two points. The team with the most points after three plays wins. The subsequent attempts become sudden death if the score is tied after each team runs three plays. The overtime period will extend until a winner is declared.

Other distinctive rules:

• Two forward passes from behind the line of scrimmage are legal.

• Each coach will be allowed one replay challenge. USFL Replay Command at Fox Sports Control Center in Los Angeles will make all replay decisions.

• All kickoffs will be from the 25. No kicking team member may line up any further back than 1 yard, while the receiving team must have at least eight players in the setup zone between their 35 and 45. After a kickoff travels 20 yards, the first touch must be by the receiving team. If an untouched kick becomes dead, the ball belongs to the receiving team at that spot.

• On punts, gunners may not line up outside the numbers and they cannot be double-team blocked until the ball is kicked.

• The clock will stop for first downs inside 2 minutes of the second and fourth quarters.

• The penalty for defensive pass interference will mirror the NCAA rule with exceptions. First, a defender intentionally tackling a receiver beyond 15 yards would become a spot foul. The penalty will be a spot foul if it occurs 15 yards or less from the line of scrimmage or a 15-yard penalty from the line of scrimmage if the spot of the foul is beyond 15 yards.

• If a pass does not cross the line of scrimmage, there can be no pass interference or ineligible player downfield penalties.

• Like 2

If I'm understanding it right, they've basically eliminated onside kicks.  If you want to retain, you've gotta complete a 4th and 12.  I don't exactly hate it but I don't love it either.

I *DO* like the pass interference changes.  This addresses the concerns I have with the NCAA rule, specifically that you are incentivized to just tackle the receiver if you're smoked on a play.  This mostly* eliminates that by still giving an option for a spot foul.  I can foresee lots of grief deciding between intentional tackling and "normal interference", especially if this ever comes to the NFL.  Still, I like it.  I hate hate hate hate the "underthrow a 40yd pass to draw interference" offensive staple.  On another note: I'd like to get rid of automatic first downs on defensive penalties for the same reason.

* - You can still tackle a guy who beats you so long as you do it inside 15 yards.

• Like 1

Well they're both on opposite 2 yard lines. They could theoretically make both offenses and defenses stay on the field for both plays and alternate very quickly. Basically like how the players stay on the field for the most part during time outs. I don't know what you do if there's a turnover / attempt to return it. Maybe they just blow the whistle dead right away and chalk it up as a failed try.

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Well they're both on opposite 2 yard lines. They could theoretically make both offenses and defenses stay on the field for both plays and alternate very quickly. Basically like how the players stay on the field for the most part during time outs. I don't know what you do if there's a turnover / attempt to return it. Maybe they just blow the whistle dead right away and chalk it up as a failed try.

The issue there is it could be unfair, for example what if the wind is 40 mph in the face of one QB and to the back of the other (I know this is an extreme example), in theory to make it as even as possible they'd have to always have the offense doing into the same end zone. Plus the coaches will want to talk to their team anyway before plays so they'll be on the sideline I imagine.

I like the idea in theory, I just think it won't work as smooth as it does for hockey and soccer since there are so many more players involved. But I'm sure they thought of this, curious to see how its implemented.

54 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The issue there is it could be unfair, for example what if the wind is 40 mph in the face of one QB and to the back of the other (I know this is an extreme example), in theory to make it as even as possible they'd have to always have the offense doing into the same end zone. Plus the coaches will want to talk to their team anyway before plays so they'll be on the sideline I imagine.

I like the idea in theory, I just think it won't work as smooth as it does for hockey and soccer since there are so many more players involved. But I'm sure they thought of this, curious to see how its implemented.

I had assumed there would be a coin toss like traditional overtime. You could either choose to go second or pick your side for the tries. Going second would give you the last try attempt to win if needed or to not even have to try if they haven't matched you. I didn't think they will be running the plays on the same side of the field every try tho. I mean I could be way off, I don't have any facts to support how I pictured it. It just seems way too chaotic and time prohibitive and to run on and off 22 players 6 plays in a row.

In terms of how the NFL works I figured the 40 second play clock starts as soon as the play is blown dead. Your team gets the play call and lines up the correct personnel and makes their try. Then it flips to the other side of the field again with a 40 second play clock. The side that is not active, the players wouldn't need to leave the field. Just hangout in loose huddles or take a knee, since it's about the try and no points would theoretically be awarded for a turnover return attempt. The play would just be blown dead on the turnover.

Just seems the most logical and exciting way to do it. But who knows. It will be interesting to see how far off I am.

Johnny Manziel announced that he will play in the Fan Controlled Football league again while saying he considers his "formal football career over in his eyes"

Fox Sports will have Curt Menefee and Joel Klatt as their lead announce team for USFL games

Kevin Kugler will also call games for FOX

And because we live in the worst timeline - Cris Collinsworth's kid, Jac, will be the lead play by play man for NBC Sports

The league will experiment with a football that “glows” when it reaches the goal line, according to Daryl Johnston, the ex-Dallas Cowboys fullback turned executive vice president of football operations for the USFL.

During game telecasts, viewers often can’t see the ball under the pile of bodies at the goal line, noted Johnston during a Monday appearance on Fox News. An illuminated ball could help.

“That’s something we’re hoping to have this season,” Johnston said.

I would assume it is like the glow puck gimmick a decade or so again.  It would be funny if the ball started "glowing" prematurely and the player freaks out and drops it 

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

I would assume it is like the glow puck gimmick a decade or so again.  It would be funny if the ball started "glowing" prematurely and the player freaks out and drops it 

I hate to bring this up, but the glow puck/FoxTrax nonsense was used from 1996-1998. We are all very very old.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1