DVDVR Message Board

ELDER SCROLLS OMNIBUS THREAD

JLSigman

Dragonborn is great if you miss the feel of Morrowind. I loved the area, the call-backs, just about everything.

I can take or leave Dawnguard. My first play-through I didn't even bother. I'm working on it a little with my Dunmer thief girl, because I like the crossbow.

To be honest, Hearthfire doesn't do anything for me. I don't care about adopting kids or building a house I can't customize as much as I want (would it kill them to have some different wall colors?).

Love the game, much more than I expected to, after my frustrations with buggy Morrowind and too wide open Oblivion.

Skyrim is probably what I will go back to after I finish my Mass Effect replay

Of course - I realized that it has been a year since I have played it and I stopped in mid-dungeon right before fighting some sort of overpowered boss.

This might be a problem

Love the game, much more than I expected to, after my frustrations with buggy Morrowind and too wide open Oblivion.

After about a year away and coming back in, I am currently running roughly 40 mods (which I consider a whole fucking lot, but there are people running 200 when you get into armor/weapon/texture replacers), and my game is still more stable in that state than Morrowind was. And I loved Morrowind despite that.

This is probably the most stable Bethesda game, for whatever that says.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found turning off the Official Hi Res DLC pack reduces my loading time by about two thirds, and my system runs noticeably cooler (I always have a temperature monitor running when I game on the laptop). Not going to pretend I can't see where there are some texture differences after turning it off in spots, but if you have a marginal system... it's really not something essential at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The texture community in general has knocked it out of the park. I haven't done a ton with textures because I have a mdeium-at-best system.If your system can handle it, take a look at some of the alternates to the Official Hi Res DLC.

I highly recommend a mod called Pure Waters though. I mean, at first swapping the water seems unimportant but once I tried that... there is no going back to that sludge in the original game.

Also, a lot of amazing armors. Immersive Armors version 7 is going to be released shortly which will have a BUNCH at once (nothing wrong with version 6, but it's about to be obsolete so might as well wait). As far as standalones that I've actually bothered with, Stormlord Armor is a personal favourite:

40216-4-1376396442.jpg

• Like 1

The mod community has been busy while I was away.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35841//?

Has anyone tried this? If it's actually stable, it sounds... really good.

There's that Falskaar thing floatin' around too but I haven't tried that either.

I found the voice acting and dialogue to be jarringly, cringe-worthy bad to the point where I uninstalled it even though it played well enough and had a Really Nice "show off and store your stuff" underground batcave of a house that unlocked early on in the quest line.

Huh. Other than the fake-Arnie guy, none of them have stood out to me. And I find fake-Arnie hilarious. I keep waiting for him to say GET UR AZZ 2 MARS.

And yeah, that Batcave tower is the shit. I have a disgustingly great display of various light armors going on with my assassin-vampire character right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Question about the whole "Legendary" stat thing. I have my Smithing maxed out and have already got my Dragonbone weapons/armor that I plan on keeping for the rest of my playthrough. Can I use the Legendary option and re-distribute those points to other areas (say, Speech), or would they still have to stay in Smithing?

Question about the whole "Legendary" stat thing. I have my Smithing maxed out and have already got my Dragonbone weapons/armor that I plan on keeping for the rest of my playthrough. Can I use the Legendary option and re-distribute those points to other areas (say, Speech), or would they still have to stay in Smithing?

You can redistribute to other areas.

You can redistribute to other areas.

Thanks. Once I beef up my gold by selling off a bunch of Ebony armor and weapons, I might take those points and use them somewhere I've never really experimented with before like one of the thief skills.

Wal-Mart has the regular game for Xbox for $20 and the special edition with all the DLC for $30. I can't imagine anyone not having this game by now, but if you don't, $20 for it is quite the value. Or the $30 is worth it for the Dragonborn DLC alone.

Question about that. Is the DLC already loaded onto the disc? My girlfriend's got the regular edition but none of the DLC because her Xbox is not hooked up to the internet. If it's on the disc I might get it for her birthday.

Went into Walmart today and Legendary was priced at $60.

Hmmm, maybe it's just my Walmart, but I'm positive about the Legendary game being $30. Walmart.com has the Legendary game for $55 and the regular game for $30. You could actually save a buck or two by buying the regular game and downloading the DLC at those prices.

I went in to the store thinking of buying Grand Theft Auto 5 for a poor friend of mind so we could play online after I noticed it's available at walmart.com for $40. It was $60 at my store. I know they'd price match it if I brought them a printout of their own damn website, but I still thought that was funny.

I merged the two Skyrim threads because with the Online talk starting - we need a general Elder Scrolls thread.

Oh and

Not shown in the video - but key for us Mass Effect fans. Jennifer Hale provides a voice

EDIT - I also approve of Kate Beckinsale saying she wants to do more video game voice over work now

• Like 1

The lack of Khajiit in the TESO trailer currently on XBox Live annoys me.  I know they should be in there because the trailer has an Argonian character in there, so both beast races should be represented.

Oh Lydia - how you died 5 minutes after I met you... whoops

She is my Housecarl so she stays in the fucking house.  I cannot have any clunky Nords following me while I am being all Khajiiti and stealthy and slicing dudes' tendons from behind with two daggers..

• Like 1