DVDVR Message Board

ELDER SCROLLS OMNIBUS THREAD

JLSigman

Note to self: Report back to this thread with every racist Khajiit comment I come across while playing until JT buys the SE.

Like you have anything better to do for the next two months.  

• Like 1

In two months I will be playing a game destined to be one of the best of the year.  I refuse to play anything right now that takes over forty game hours to complete.

I must be ready when Andromeda hits the shelves.  I finally have an XB1 and my queue is clean.  I cannot fuck this up.

1 hour ago, CSC said:

Note to self: Report back to this thread with every racist Khajiit comment I come across while playing until JT buys the SE..  

My random electronic kleptomania in Skyrim is no different than the "I hate this NPC asshole and I don't feel like walking anymore, so I'm going to carjack this douchebag and drive off in his shiny new luxury sports car" feeling you get when playing GTA5.

• Like 1

I'm not much of a thief type. I generally just want to murder NPCs who any me except my real world morals keep me from doing that even in games for some reason.

Is it it possible to fail A Jarl's Justice? I keep remembering one of the Jarl's getting replaced despite my never joining the civil war, and that seems like the only way possible.

So does anyone actually even both with the Civil War? It feels like the various faction quests are more interesting. I plan to do it eventually as I kind of hate the Stormcloaks, but can't find a strong desire outside of that. Not even sure when I will do it. I''m thinking after the main quest as I really don't want to deal with the random dragon attacks while at war.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I have been wondering if you even need to join a side to "finish" the main storyline 

I really need to look that up and the point of no return with both factions

You don't, but staying neutral still requires negotiating a cease-fire at the Greybeard Summit and, in talking to Ulfric & Tulius to get them to agree, "join the legion" and "join the stormcloaks" will get added to miscellaneous quests.  Horse-trading of holds during the negotiation is unavoidable (Riften for Markarth is almost always the deal).

The Civil War questline is then suspended until after you beat the last quest of the main storyline, at which point you can pick up where you left off.

The point of no return for taking a side is picking up the Jagged Crown.  You can swerve and hand it in to the other side, but whoever you hand it over to, you're stuck with.  (Apparently there was originally a late-game defection option and/or a way to get kicked off your respective team if you fucked up enough during the greybeard truce negotation, but both these possibilities got cut in development lest they make the civil war questline more interesting or fun...grrrr....)

Civil War is definitely my least favorite of the faction questlines and I generally put it off until I have literally no other quests left to do.  Other than one time where I played out the Stormcloak path just to see what it looked like I've sided with the empire since A] the pro-empire jarls tend to be a little more competent/qualified than the Stormcloak counterparts, and B] Ulfric has cooler clothes than Tullius so I'd rather loot his corpse at the end.

• Like 2

That is kind of hard for me to believe. Falkreath's Jarl is a lazy crook, but he at least has someone competent actually running the region. Riften's Jarl seems like a decent person but also clueless relying on the top criminal in the region to actually get shit done.

11 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

You don't, but staying neutral still requires negotiating a cease-fire at the Greybeard Summit and, in talking to Ulfric & Tulius to get them to agree, "join the legion" and "join the stormcloaks" will get added to miscellaneous quests.  Horse-trading of holds during the negotiation is unavoidable (Riften for Markarth is almost always the deal).

The Civil War questline is then suspended until after you beat the last quest of the main storyline, at which point you can pick up where you left off.

The point of no return for taking a side is picking up the Jagged Crown.  You can swerve and hand it in to the other side, but whoever you hand it over to, you're stuck with.  (Apparently there was originally a late-game defection option and/or a way to get kicked off your respective team if you fucked up enough during the greybeard truce negotation, but both these possibilities got cut in development lest they make the civil war questline more interesting or fun...grrrr....)

Civil War is definitely my least favorite of the faction questlines and I generally put it off until I have literally no other quests left to do.  Other than one time where I played out the Stormcloak path just to see what it looked like I've sided with the empire since A] the pro-empire jarls tend to be a little more competent/qualified than the Stormcloak counterparts, and B] Ulfric has cooler clothes than Tullius so I'd rather loot his corpse at the end.

I like the way you think!

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

That is kind of hard for me to believe. Falkreath's Jarl is a lazy crook, but he at least has someone competent actually running the region. Riften's Jarl seems like a decent person but also clueless relying on the top criminal in the region to actually get shit done.

The Jarl's get replaced depending on who "wins"

EDIT - and just for clarity sake, I believe the top criminal is better for Riften overall (though I have no issues with the current Jarl)

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

EDIT - and just for clarity sake, I believe the top criminal is better for Riften overall (though I have no issues with the current Jarl)

Considering my Theif/Assassin *is* the Top Criminal, I co-sign,.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh I know that. I was just having a hard time seeing those regions be better off with Stormcloak replacements. I'm with you on Riften since that top criminal is far more competent a leader.

The opening scene of the first episode of this season's Sherlock (The Six Thatchers) where Mycroft is holding a serious high level meeting of UK government officials and breaks away from his protocol to scold Sherlock for live tweeting during the session reminded me of my Khajiit's role in Skyrim.

Jarl of Whiiterun:  So, my friend, I bestow upon you the title of Housecarl, the highest honor I can.....WILL YOU FUCKING STOP TRYING TO PICK STEWARD AVENICCI'S POCKET??

Some assholes in that game deserve a good pilfering, though.  "You say the Greymane boy is locked in your cellar, Olfred Battle-Born?  Well I hope you don't mind if I steal your house key and find out for myself."

• Like 1

I was having major deja vu as I just did Revealing the Unseen and Containment in the College of Winterheld questline

I realized it was because those were the last two quests I had done in my first playthrough.

No wonder why I was all "didn't I focus these fucking crystals already"?

On 1/18/2017 at 1:40 PM, J.T. said:

I wish the game had the common decency to recognize my build and NOT add quest lines to my queue that I will probably never finish.

Ugh, me too. There's no way to finish the who burned the house down quest in Morthal if you don't pick locks or pockets. So that's gonna have to sit in my list of quests unfinishable.

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Ugh, me too. There's no way to finish the who burned the house down quest in Morthal if you don't pick locks or pockets. So that's gonna have to sit in my list of quests unfinishable.

Potions and enchanted items. And how in the hell do you not pick locks? You actually leave all of those damn locked chests in dungeons?

Yeah, if you're picking dungeon doors and locks, you should organically have enough points to decently pick the one door you need to in the Morthal quest.  And even then, you could just wait until daytime and the door is unlocked by the dude leaving.

3 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Yeah, if you're picking dungeon doors and locks, you should organically have enough points to decently pick the one door you need to in the Morthal quest.  And even then, you could just wait until daytime and the door is unlocked by the dude leaving.

Honestly this is the best way to do it.

Y'all are so cute. "Oh I can't pick locks because it doesn't fit my character!"

Meanwhile I just killed a priest and cannibalized him for a ring that I am never going to wear 

• Like 5

I thought the point of Skyrim was that your one guy is the whole party. Where usually you'd have a Tank, a Stealth guy, a Mage and a Healer, in Skyrim you have one guy who's a Stealthy Tank Healer Mage.