DVDVR Message Board

ELDER SCROLLS OMNIBUS THREAD

JLSigman

The hype for ESO feels low right now it's unreal.

Yeah, with about a month to go before the PC launch, the marketing should be at full court press right now.  Console launch will hit by E3, so maybe that's when the media blitz will hit.

Question for the Skyrim DLC people who have played it. Before I do, i'll just wade in on the Oblivion discussion, I played Skyrim before Oblivion and as reasons stated already say, its a step back for sure. But after I got into it after about 10 hours or so, I really really loved it. Just wish I could have played it before Skyrim though.

Now, I just got Skyrim's GOTY edition with the DLC. I beat the main story before I traded it in and after 1 year of hints to my girlfriend she finally got it me for my birthday.

Question is, is it best to play the single player game before I touch the DLC or can I just jump into it immediately? Is there a levelling up good/bad advice on playing the DLC? Build my character first then play DLC stuff?

Also: Is the DLC part of the main game? I remember Oblivions DLC  was accessed through the single player game with a portal, where you used your main character.

Thanks for anyone who answers this wall of text!

Question is, is it best to play the single player game before I touch the DLC or can I just jump into it immediately? Is there a levelling up good/bad advice on playing the DLC? Build my character first then play DLC stuff?

Also: Is the DLC part of the main game? I remember Oblivions DLC  was accessed through the single player game with a portal, where you used your main character.

Thanks for anyone who answers this wall of text!

All are integrated into the main game. You'll get intro quests to Dawnguard and Hearthfire at level 8, and for Dragonborn after you finish talking to the Greybeards the first time and enter a town . Technically, with the way Skyrim keeps the mobs around your level, you could get into the DLC stuff immediately, but Dragonborn, especially, is geared toward higher end characters.

• Like 1

Yeah I would wait for Dragonborn until you're at least in the 20s and/or have fairly high marks in whatever form of attack you use (I stick to archery and one handed). One bit of advice I would give you: when you do start Dragonborn finish the main quest of it first. Otherwise (put in spoilers in case you don't want to know)

he will show up and steal dragon souls after you've killed one on Solstheim

Dawnguard you can start asap (once you hit level 8) and just kind of drag it out while you explore/do side quests for the main story.

• 4 weeks later...

I am at the point now where I just expect every online game to have a money duping glitch

http://kotaku.com/major-duping-bug-hits-the-elder-scrolls-online-1564641897

Jesus.  Are people capable of playing games without cheating. glitching, or botting?

Also, how this didn't come out during the beta is mind boggling.

I am at the point now where I just expect every online game to have a money duping glitch

http://kotaku.com/major-duping-bug-hits-the-elder-scrolls-online-1564641897

Jesus.  Are people capable of playing games without cheating. glitching, or botting?

This is exactly why I don't play online and have zero fucking interest in it. I sure as shit don't have any interest in paying 15 bucks a month to put up with it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have I broke my Skyrim save? :(

I was sneaking around trying to get my sneak stat up, and I managed to get right on top of a cliff above a dragon lair, saved by passing one hour, but when the time had passed, a dragon was on top of me, and I died instantly. Now whenever it restarts i'm at the top but not on a ledge, so I immediately fall to my death, every single time. I don't have a previous save file to go back to that isn't 100 hours behind where I was, even when I restart it just starts me off in the middle of the air where the ledge once was.

I'll give it a try, otherwise it's time for something different. 

Edit: All is well!

Any game that allows multiple save points, take advantage of them. It's better to have to replay two or three hours than it is to have to replay an entire game.

I also normally try to save after the intro/tutorial stuff so that way I am at least an hour in and that's an hour less I have to play if I didn't build something correctly early on and NEED to start over with the game.

And Bethesda just announced a 6 month delay for Elder Scrolls Online to come to consoles

We know from the frequent questions we get that many of you are excited about playing ESO on the PS4 and Xbox One, and today we'd like to share an official update on the status of these releases. Read on for the latest information:

We've been grateful to our fans for the wonderful response to our recent launch of The Elder Scrolls Online for PC/Mac, but we know many of you are eagerly waiting to play the game on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

We continue to work on the console versions of ESO, and game development has been progressing steadily, but we are still working to solve a series of unique problems specific to those platforms. Integrating our systems with each console manufacturer's networks—which are both different from the PC/Mac system as well as different from each other—has been a challenging process. It has become clear that our planned June release of the console versions isn't going to be possible. Though we have made great progress, we have concluded that we'll need about six months to ensure we deliver the experience our fans expect and deserve.

We know that the news of an ESO console delay is as disappointing to many of you as it is to us. We want to do what we can to make it up to our fans who want to start playing now, so we have worked out the following arrangement with Sony and Microsoft:

Via a special offer, anyone who purchases and plays the PC/Mac version of The Elder Scrolls Online by the end of June will have the opportunity to transfer their character(s) to either console version when they are released. The offer will allow you to begin playing immediately on the PC/Mac, and then add the PS4 or Xbox One version and transfer the character(s) you have created and developed. And, you don't have to pay full price for the game twice. For $20, eligible PC and Mac players will have the option to add a full, digital version of ESO on either the PS4 or the Xbox One with your character transfer(s), and another 30 days of included game time.

Whether you decide to take advantage of this offer or not, we promise to do everything we can to get the game released on both consoles as quickly as we can. We will keep everyone updated with additional details regarding character transfers, specific offer dates, when you can expect console beta to start, and of course, when ESO on consoles will launch.

Thank you for your patience and loyal support.

Not surprising.  All of the glitching and botting was a shock to their system.  Glad to see that they are admitting that the code is buggy and isn't ready for shelves yet.

If only Dragon Age 2 had that sort of extensive testing done before release consideation.

• 1 month later...

I've played it a good deal, but once I got online, I've been more focused on GTA and ME3.

It's fun, and I love it, but it's gonna have to wait a bit.

A bit is over.

Started a new play through the other day without a real plan: take the Nord female, do some Smithing around the south for a while, get a good hold on enchanting (turns out its simple to do that, go figure), maybe do some Companions stuff and hope my game doesn't glitch at the college of Winterhelm for once. And then I came up with a concept for the play through: I want to become a force of nature that can completely wreck an area without raising a blade. I don't even want pure offensive spells like the destruction line. I want incredibly high health, with maxed out sneak, ebony flesh, maxed on light armor, and Illusion spells out the ass. I kinda view it as being Loki. I just wander the area, unable to be killed, just bending the minds of everyone I see, and when I grow tired of that! conjuring something to kill whoever remains...

I might need counciling.

Anyway! I'm using some cheap bullshit early on. Muffle turns leveling up Illusion from a chore to a breeze. Leaving up restoration magic is easy. Conjugation works well if you conjure swords, as annoying as the combat can be. And when alteration and light armor are kinda easy against low level enemies you fight at the defame time. Toss in my usual enchantment/smithing, sneaking everywhere making that fly up, and selling every tiny thing I get to level up my speech, and I feel like I'm on my way to being the trickster god.

• Like 2

I go with a hard [numbered] save around the hour mark, every hour. And more at significant plot/branch points (so I can go back and play alternate paths on, say, the civil war, without starting all over.  Or right at the end of Helgen so I don't have to go through it again, etc.) 

In between that I quicksave pretty regularly.

I had the issue before, which is partly why I started over.., but I figured it out through sheer luck. Going strong again!

I'm nick naming my Nord "The Wanderer" because A: I never settle down in a house and B: I've watched too much Lost Girl. I'm at level 22 at present, at 59 on Illusion, 53 on Conjuration, 42 at Smithing, 34 at Alteration, 50 at Sneak. Like we're this is going.

Been long enough I thought I'd give another update nobody but me cares about.

Up to level 34, highest I've ever been. I purchased the Hearthfire DLC which completely altered the way this play through is going. I adopted a couple daughters, built a homestead with my wife Mjoll, and have been filling it with everything I can make. I am now working on a second homestead to be more of a place of study, with Alchemy Labratory, Enchanters Tower, and Library, as opposed to the Bedroom, Kitchen, and Trophy Room design in my first.

As for actual character stat stuff, the discovery of the Bound Bow has made battles that I used to get obliterated in into easy wins. Stats worth noting are Sneak 74, Illusion 76, Conjuration 61, Smithing 60, Enchanting 50, and Archery 62.

• 4 weeks later...

Elder Scrolls Online is already being Steam integrated, which translated means it is going free 2 play within a year.

Serves them right really. I mean if you're willing to pay $60 for a game and then $15 a month after that, well God bless you, you deserve whatever you get out of life. Setting money on fire would be faster and would save you a lot of download time.

Not to mention "Hard Drive: 80 GB available space required" is pretty fucking laughable even for 2014.

This game sounds like one colossal turd, to be honest.

Edited by RIPPA
Moved from General Thread - Rippa
  • Like 1

Elder Scrolls Online is already being Steam integrated, which translated means it is going free 2 play within a year.

Serves them right really. I mean if you're willing to pay $60 for a game and then $15 a month after that, well God bless you, you deserve whatever you get out of life. Setting money on fire would be faster and would save you a lot of download time.

Not to mention "Hard Drive: 80 GB available space required" is pretty fucking laughable even for 2014.

This game sounds like one colossal turd, to be honest.

It was an interesting concept, just poorly executed.

• 1 month later...

I am the Archmage of Winterhold college. Why won't anyone teach me Destruction Spells more powerful than Fireball? I've gone from being a Mace and Magic guy to a Sword and Shield guy because I have no decent spells to attack with. Destruction used to be my top stat, now it's behind Enchanting, One Handed and Heavy Armour, with Restoration and Conjuration gaining quickly. And the only conjuration spell I use is Soul Trap.