DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

these fans are stupid (and fickle).

Wrestling fans watching RAW because they're stupid?? Now there's an unlikely scenario!

• Haha 1

The ratings increase this week is a typical post-PPV bump, of which Kofi did play a part. But the numbers aren't dependent on him.

As far as Roman goes, I can't imagine this being bad news. I don't see Vince having him announce that his cancer has taken a bad turn and making everyone sad. With Roman being scheduled for Good Morning America next Tuesday, my guess is his treatment is going well with his in-ring return to be determined at a later date. They'll have him interact with Seth and Dean, naturally. Probably slug Corbin for stealing the Shield's triple power bomb at Elimination Chamber. 

I suspect some of this may be for a morale booster to the locker room. A few wrestlers have posted "We miss him" type messages on IG over recent weeks. With Mark Henry being brought in to be Vince's monitor, the locker room may be clamoring to see Roman right now.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel the news will be that things are going in the right direction.

• Like 3

I really did find it amazing that they spent so of RAW building to a rematch of a 90 second squash the night before. I actually was thinking about how that can't possibly sustain the ratings all night, but damn that's a huge drop.

Roman cutting a feel good promo and Becky getting involved with the birthday celebration to advance that angle sounds like a pretty good foundation for next week's show to build around. It can't possibly end up as random and haphazard feeling as this week did. Right?

15 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

Can't wait to hear the story behind this

With the Revival winning WWE main roster gold, his work is done to keep the torch of 'real' Southern tag wrestling burning bright and he can retire in peace...

/s

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Uhhhh, according to Ryan Satin and Pro Wrestling Sheet - Arn Anderson left WWE yesterday.

WWE also posted a video about the recent hiring of a bunch of new agents(Jeff Jarrett, and Abyss the notable of the hirings). Might just be a huge turn over, and Arn wanting to go.

• Like 3

Also on a side note... The crowd recactions on Smackdown are night, and day with Raw. Like I'm reminded of the Gulf between Nitro, and RAW back in the day where WCW fans reactivated most to the hard hitting in-ring action, as opposed to the stories. It's happening again with these two shows, and might bleed into the eventual AEW, and WWE rivalry. Live fans want a tight two-hour wrestling package, and not the 3-hour drag-a-thon that is Raw. 

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

WWE also posted a video about the recent hiring of a bunch of new agents(Jeff Jarrett, and Abyss the notable of the hirings). Might just be a huge turn over, and Arn wanting to go.

Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but didn't the report from Satin say they let Arn go? If he was fired and didn't leave of his own accord, something huge must have happened for them to let someone like Arn go

I was wondering if it was an age thing, but he's only 60. I thought he'd been in his 60s for ages, to be honest.

I was wondering about them hiring Abyss, Sonjay, Jarrett and Helms as agents. The timing seems unusual. I mean, most likely it's  just Jeremy Borash putting a word in for his friends, but first we hear that Vince is in a war mindset about AEW, and then he hires a bunch of agents from Impact? Is he under the impression Impact is closing soon, and he thinks he'll be better placed to pick up their remaining top guys (I'm guessing he wants Brian Cage, Moose and Killer Kross mostly) if he's got ex-Impact guys to make the offer.

Although hiring Abyss makes sense, because he can be the agent who's job it is to talk people into things. You know, if someone refuses to do a certain angle or take a certain bump, Abyss can be all "Listen here kid, I once poured thumbtacks on the mat and punched them repeatedly with my bare hands to sell a PPV, that did less than 10,000 buys. And I wasn't even the main event! This whole wearing a goofy outfit is nothing. I went through a flaming table in a rehearsal, and was so badly hurt that I couldn't do it at the taping, and they had to air the rehearsal footage even though the guys were just sitting around out of character! Put the damn clown suit on, kid".

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The Satin report stats that "according to multiple sources", Arn was "apparently" let go, but at this point, no one has really confimed it (i.e. Arn and/or the WWE).

The timing seems bizarre, especially since the "Ric Flair Birthday Celebration" will take place on Monday -- certainly you'd want Arn to be in the building for that.

He is 60, so I have to wonder if it's something as simple as wanting to get off the road and possibly moving into a part-time "ambassador" role. But the fact that Satin is emphasizing he was "let go", you have to wonder, as Phil noted, if something huge happened.

It also could be financial, given the recent hirings of Jarrett, Abyss, Shawn Daivari, Helms and Dutt (as well as reports the WWE is training Matt Hardy and Jason Jordan to be producers as well).

Does anyone know just how many producers/road agents the WWE currently have, and what brands they are assigned to? Wikipedia has a list, but outside of two producers for NXT UK, it doesn't say if anyone's assigned to a specific show or brand (The Wiki article also lists Pat Patterson as a producer. Is he still on the payroll? Can't imagine him being on the road given his age, so is he an at-home consultant?)

43 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I assumed the recent mass agent hires were to limit what help and expertise was available to AEW because I'm paranoid like that *X-Files music starts playing*

• Haha 2

doesn't Matt Hardy have like 10 days left on his contract? His Twitter makes it seem like he doesn't expect it to be renewed.

I highly doubt Arn Anderson was cut due to financial reasons, given the FOX and Saudi Arabia deals that have injected way too much money into WWE.

It's partly the hairline, and partly that he's best friends with Ric Flair, who is turning 70 next week. Makes sense to assume that since they're best friends and look the same age, they are.

When Flair and Arn were on Flare for the Old with Austin and Pillman in '93, Arn was only 34 at the time.