DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2019 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I dunno....one of the better Rumble shows in a while. 

Oh fuck off, last year BOTH Rumbles tonight beat the shit out of anything in years. Literally last year made the Rumble back into a must see show.  Which I saw tonight.  And it wasn't.

• Like 4

Other things I liked

They using nothing but current roster women in that Rumble

That the Swoggle spot allowed everyone to get their Austin Aries short jokes in

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Much to @Matt D dismay,  I felt Brock was one of the best workers on this show tonight.  That was probably Balor's 2nd best match in WWE.  Crowd was electric for it and Brock's selling was otherworldly. 

I am ok with anyone liking Brock tonight. I think he does specific things extremely well. I think his layouts have broken wrestling and don't at all work in context with the rest of any card he's one, but I thought the layout for this match was a lot less irritating than the equally self aware one vs Bryan, which played with our expectations and then twisted them. This was a bit more of finding a weakness and exploiting it to survive as opposed to surviving a tidal of wave of completely unweighted offense only to come back. 

Brock is like if someone went back in time and changed history so the structure of wrestling matches were completely different. And there's no fixing it. There could be just as much excitement to his matches even without throwing the suplexes in the first minute, but building to them instead. I feel like Ronda's matches have that same sort of transcendent excitement but they're still playing by the rules. Brock just breaks all the narrative rules and we're supposed to reward him for getting reactions when there are other poor bastards that have to share a card for him still playing by those rules, lest the entire edifice break down completely. And then because of the shitshow he's created, when he dials it back a few steps or hyperfocuses on one element of his selling, then it's a somehow laudable moment.

It's a unique alchemy but it's one that wholly relies upon the deconstruction of wrestling that he has done and our expectations there within. 

I'm ok if people dig it but it's not for me.

Balor was fine tonight too.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

People like you is why WWE got the FOX deal.  And nothing is changing.  

What are you saying?  Seth Rollins is over. Brock is over.  They might not be over on this board but listen to the crowds. We just got Becky in the main event of WrestleMania.  Yes,  I'm fine with Seth vs. Brock.  It's better than another Braun vs. Brock and it's better than Goldberg making another comeback.  

I'm fine with not getting every single thing I want.  Becky winning and funny enough Asuka also winning were a couple huge W's in my household. 

• Like 4

I hope The Bar are being well compensated for having to put over first a little kid and now Shane.
While Rollins was definitely not my favorite to win I enjoyed the men's rumble save that bullshit with Nia. Seeing the guys from different brands interact was fun and I'm here for Black and Dunne wrecking fools.

The women's rumble had a few shaky moments but was really good all together.

While the AJ/Bryan match wasn't bad this feud has gone on way too long. Bryan forming his own Straight Edge Society with Rowan and whomever else isn't something I care to see. Bryan works much better on his own.

Rhonda/Sasha was a nice match with some nasty looking stretching on both of them. It's a shame Rhonda is going to leave soon.

CW match was another fine outing by all the guys involved. Buddy Murphy is going to be a star though I think this might have been the time for him to drop the title to get moved up.

Askua/Charlotte was also a fine match with a solid ending. The two of them trying to lock in eachother's submissions was a nice touch.

Brock/Finn wasn't as bad as it could have been. I knew there was no chance of Finn winning and Brock gave something resembling a fuck, I still never want to see him again. At least his match with Rollins likely won't headline Mania.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This. It was the case for the men's Rumble, too aside from JJ.

I much prefer them giving the NXT guys a spot in the Rumble than relying on vets getting the spots for the nostalgia pops.

Samoa Joe thoughts.

1. He really came off like a star.

2. Ali eliminating him felt much more meaningful than Black eliminating Ambrose.

3. The Joe/Big E exchange made me wish he was teamed with Aries or Neville or someone and feuding with the New Day. 

4. Him just coming off the side of the screen and choking people over and over was great. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

I hope The Bar are being well compensated for having to put over first a little kid and now Shane.
While Rollins was definitely not my favorite to win I enjoyed the men's rumble save that bullshit with Nia. Seeing the guys from different brands interact was fun and I'm here for Black and Dunne wrecking fools.

The women's rumble had a few shaky moments but was really good all together.

While the AJ/Bryan match wasn't bad this feud has gone on way too long. Bryan forming his own Straight Edge Society with Rowan and whomever else isn't something I care to see. Bryan works much better on his own.

Rhonda/Sasha was a nice match with some nasty looking stretching on both of them. It's a shame Rhonda is going to leave soon.

CW match was another fine outing by all the guys involved. Buddy Murphy is going to be a star though I think this might have been the time for him to drop the title to get moved up.

Askua/Charlotte was also a fine match with a solid ending. The two of them trying to lock in eachother's submissions was a nice touch.

Brock/Finn wasn't as bad as it could have been. I knew there was no chance of Finn winning and Brock gave something resembling a fuck, I still never want to see him again. At least his match with Rollins likely won't headline Mania.

But at least Nicholas certainly had more credible and realistic offense than Shane.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Other things I liked

I also liked the lack of nostalgia spots in the women's rumble. Nobody needs to see Michelle McTaker eliminating four people or Nikki Bella being the last woman eliminated.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Samoa Joe thoughts.

2. Ali eliminating him felt much more meaningful than Black eliminating Ambrose.

3. The Joe/Big E exchange made me wish he was teamed with Aries or Neville or someone and feuding with the New Day. 

4. Him just coming off the side of the screen and choking people over and over was great. 

Refreshing seeing Samoa Joe booked like this as he usually loses. One of Joe's best main roster performances.

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I honestly don't see what the big deal is with the men's Rumble. We all knew that the likely winners were Braun or Seth.  Pretty much every other match on the card delivered big time.

Something something Nitro era WCW.

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Samoa Joe thoughts.

Joe needs a title reign. He should have won this. You think a bad motherfucker like Samoa Joe is scared of Brock Lesnar? Fuck no. You think a bad motherfucker like Samoa Joe cares about the planet? Fuck no.

• Like 3

Asuka just tapped out Becky clean, but now Becky's gonna be the real threat to Ronda. Ugh. Really enjoyed the women's rumble as just fun until that cheap crappy predictable ending. Becky tapping out killed off her momentum and my interest in her against Ronda. As the Rumble went along, I was ready for Charlotte to get that spot. This show will end up turning me against Becky. I wish the match could be Asuka vs. Ronda. As for the rest of the Rumble, nice long first showing for Lacey, Mighty Kacy is the best, and loved seeing Maria briefly.

Thought the mens rumble sucked. The only legend surprises, Jarrett and Angle, last less than 5 minutes. Way too many rushed as hell eliminations and wasted spots like No Way Jose, Hawkins, etc. Even Lashley coming in to just jump over the ropes... awful. Ziggler as the final shocker surprise two years running is fantastic though. Both rumbles extremely predictable. I'm fine with Seth, just glad it wasn't Braun.

Highlight of the night = The Best Tag Team in the World are the NEW Tag Team Champions! Shane O finally hitting the Shooting Star Press was epic.

Drew coming out and headbutting No Way Jose and then tearing up his conga line and then knocking out Joe's teeth was fantastic.