DVDVR Message Board

AEW - 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Sometimes there’s plot holes… I want to do bits on the show that carry over week, to week, to week, and I want to pay off every single thing. I want to tie up every loose end. I want to really pay off the viewer. I want them to watch and then to feel rewarded by the end of the storyline.

None of those things are necessary.

543c7733166f472cdd152b5ea27a3ca0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Impact did a 4-month long round robin style tournament leading to Bound for Glory and it was always a mess. It was a mess because they had no plan other than who they wanted to win, they didn't know ahead of time how they would get there. But it was also a mess because of shit like injuries.  I don't recommend AEW do anything like that.  All they need to do is have comedy/drama angles that are actually funny and progress logically and then have other feuds that are simply about titles.  Keep it simple.  

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Impact did a 4-month long round robin style tournament leading to Bound for Glory and it was always a mess. It was a mess because they had no plan other than who they wanted to win, they didn't know ahead of time how they would get there. But it was also a mess because of shit like injuries.  I don't recommend AEW do anything like that.  All they need to do is have comedy/drama angles that are actually funny and progress logically and then have other feuds that are simply about titles.  Keep it simple.  

Remember the year that, in his last match in the series, RVD had to get a submission win to advance, and then he pinned his opponent?

I thought they missed a beautiful opportunity for storytelling with RVD losing because of trying submission holds he didn't really know how to do. Instead they just booked one of their top babyfaces as a complete idiot. TNA!

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Remember the year that, in his last match in the series, RVD had to get a submission win to advance, and then he pinned his opponent?

I thought they missed a beautiful opportunity for storytelling with RVD losing because of trying submission holds he didn't really know how to do. Instead they just booked one of their top babyfaces as a complete idiot. TNA!

I remember I believe it was Samoa Joe who kept getting DQ'd and injuring people in the process.  He would lose points off each DQ.  I think maybe it worked out as he started winning because dudes were now injured but fuck if I can remember how that actually played out. 

Yeah, the BFG series was just too complicated. I never understood why you wouldn't just do a scaled down version of the Japanese tournament format. You don't need to have twenty guys for it to be fun, really. 4 or 5 guys per block cuts the number of matches way down, but you can still get a nice build up for the number 1 contender.

You know, we can all say what we want about the content of "Being the Elite". Some of it can be the dumbest shit possible. But you have to give them credit that these cats know how to pay attention to detail, keep plot holes to a minimum and have things make sense.(as much as a show where people are killed, there are talking boots and Cody was possesed can make sense). I am at least willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt that they can produce a compelling week to week show

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

You know, we can all say what we want about the content of "Being the Elite". Some of it can be the dumbest shit possible. But you have to give them credit that these cats know how to pay attention to detail, keep plot holes to a minimum and have things make sense.(as much as a show where people are killed, there are talking boots and Cody was possesed can make sense). I am at least willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt that they can produce a compelling week to week show

And that’s a good point. We’ll have to see if they can translate what they do BTE to an actual prime time show.

18 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Genuine question: Am I the only person here who has never watched an entire episode of BTE? 

You're only cheating yourself. However, the show absolutely peaked with the Omega/Ibushi angle at the hotel. They did a masterful job building to Cody and Omega but it petered out and with it so did the gravitas of the show. It was at its best when it combined the silly comedy sketches with pro wrestling angles. This last season was fine but they've gone too far into drawing things out. 

• Like 1

I loved the stuff with Joey Ryan's murder and his memorial service, Flip Gordon trying to get booked for All In, Alpha Club vs. Bullet Club, and Cody's possession. Everything with SCU is pretty much gold as well. MJF was hilarious on the latest one, basically being Luger to Cody's Sting.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

You're only cheating yourself. 

I’ve tried. But I have no interest in a travel vlog. Their comedy is too much for me in a vacuum. I get enough of the gist of the angles elsewhere. And then there’s the self-congratulatory bits of it I’ve seen. 

It really isn’t for me.

BTE isn’t prestige TV, but it’s perfectly good treadmill viewing. It’s also why the last however many pages of ~pure sports~ versus narrative has seemed reductive and kinda silly. Not everything lands, but everyone involved are clearly huge continuity nerds in addition to workrate wonks. (It’s a false dichotomy anyway. “Wins and losses will matter” as a concept isn’t possible without story and character.)

• Like 2